Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

sonycman
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby sonycman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:12 am

Sorgelig wrote:You are welcome to provide fix.

I suggest to edit gary.v that way:

Code: Select all

assign t_sel_slow[0] = cpu_address_in[23:19]==5'b1100_0 ? |memory_config[3:2] : 1'b0; //$C00000 - $C7FFFF
assign t_sel_slow[1] = cpu_address_in[23:19]==5'b1100_1 ? memory_config[3] : 1'b0; //$C80000 - $CFFFFF
assign t_sel_slow[2] = cpu_address_in[23:19]==5'b1101_0 ? &memory_config[3:2] : 1'b0; //$D00000 - $D7FFFF

assign sel_reg = cpu_address_in[23:21]==3'b110 ? ~(|t_sel_slow | sel_rtc | sel_ide | sel_gayle) : 1'b0;      //chip registers at $DF0000 - $DFFFFF

and remove sel_xram completely.

Just checked that in the simulator - all is fine, no more multiple selects asserted.

PS: but i`am really not understand, how current version of minimig could run without immediate crash due to this bug... :shrug:
That is strange to me...

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:24 am

sonycman wrote:Just checked that in the simulator - all is fine, no more multiple selects asserted.

PS: but i`am really not understand, how current version of minimig could run without immediate crash due to this bug... :shrug:
That is strange to me...

Could it cause that the core doesn't run without Slow RAM? If yes, then you finally found that annoying bug :)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:47 pm

I guess, in real HW SlowRAM always starts from C0 regardless the size (like on Minimig), so if KS doesn't find it in C0, it doesn't try to find it in higher addresses.

sonycman
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sonycman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:29 pm

slingshot wrote:Could it cause that the core doesn't run without Slow RAM? If yes, then you finally found that annoying bug :)

I hope so :D
At least now the kickstart runs on my xilinx board without a crash :o
Sorgelig wrote:I guess, in real HW SlowRAM always starts from C0 regardless the size (like on Minimig), so if KS doesn't find it in C0, it doesn't try to find it in higher addresses.

Thats correct.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:59 pm

slingshot wrote:Could it cause that the core doesn't run without Slow RAM? If yes, then you finally found that annoying bug :)

never encountered such issue.
My configs with ChipRAM-only work fine.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:18 am

Sorgelig wrote:

never encountered such issue.

I have only seen this problem on the MiST, it quite often refuse to boot if only chipram+fastram is enabled, and the work-around has been to also add slowram...
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Sorgelig wrote:never encountered such issue.

I doesn't happen all the time, but one day it's fine, the next day it's broken. Seems OK now.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:06 pm

sonycman wrote:I suggest to edit gary.v that way:

My guess would be, that with that change you will get no slow ram at all. You definitely need to set sel_reg to zero, if slow_ram should be accessed.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:19 pm

R4MS wrote:
sonycman wrote:I suggest to edit gary.v that way:

My guess would be, that with that change you will get no slow ram at all. You definitely need to set sel_reg to zero, if slow_ram should be accessed.

Why? It's just replacing sel_xram with |t_sel_slow in sel_reg.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm

slingshot wrote:Why? It's just replacing sel_xram with |t_sel_slow in sel_reg.

OK, I missed that. This way it will work. As far as I remember it worked before, because the data from the registers will have priority over the data which is read from RAM. With the proposed change, there will no unnecessary RAM access.

sonycman
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sonycman » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:20 pm

R4MS wrote:
slingshot wrote:Why? It's just replacing sel_xram with |t_sel_slow in sel_reg.
As far as I remember it worked before, because the data from the registers will have priority over the data which is read from RAM. With the proposed change, there will no unnecessary RAM access.

It seems there is simple binary OR:

assign cpu_data_in    = dbr ? 16'h0000 : custom_data_out | ram_data_out | {16{sel_bank_1}};

So if the memory contains any non zero bit - data corruption occurs.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:53 pm

I can at least say that yesterday my mist refused to boot without slow ram, but with the new core now, it boots fine without :)
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:17 pm

sonycman wrote:

assign cpu_data_in    = dbr ? 16'h0000 : custom_data_out | ram_data_out | {16{sel_bank_1}};

So if the memory contains any non zero bit - data corruption occurs.

Ahh, that's why probably worked most of the time loading from the menu core - it zeroes out the SDRAM.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:51 pm

sonycman wrote:So if the memory contains any non zero bit - data corruption occurs.

sonycman was right. I found some time to look at the problem.

There are three slow ram banks. What happens without sonycmans fix is that if a bank is disabled, read access returns the bits of the custom chip register mirror and the contents of the memory ored.

In normal operation this is mostly uncritical though. The only time the slow ram range is accessed, is during boot. If the ROM detects the custom chip mirror, it concludes that there is no slow ram. If if does not find the mirror, it adds the range to the list of free ram.

As long as the ROM test does not detect slow ram when there is none, everything will be fine. This can happen though and results in a bootloop. Just enable slow ram, fill it with $ff, disable slow ram and reboot.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:19 pm

R4MS wrote:
sonycman wrote:So if the memory contains any non zero bit - data corruption occurs.

sonycman was right. I found some time to look at the problem.

There are three slow ram banks. What happens without sonycmans fix is that if a bank is disabled, read access returns the bits of the custom chip register mirror and the contents of the memory ored.

In normal operation this is mostly uncritical though. The only time the slow ram range is accessed, is during boot. If the ROM detects the custom chip mirror, it concludes that there is no slow ram. If if does not find the mirror, it adds the range to the list of free ram.

As long as the ROM test does not detect slow ram when there is none, everything will be fine. This can happen though and results in a bootloop. Just enable slow ram, fill it with $ff, disable slow ram and reboot.

Minimig doesn't boot if loaded from other cores. So it must be this case.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi ! User question :

when using a 1080p mode and an integer scaling factor, most cores use a large enough portion of the screen which is IMHO a nice compromise in terms of size & blockiness. (around 40 cm diagonal on my 24" screen for instance).

The Amiga core, probably due to the maximum resolution that can be attained in overscan mode being larger than the Neo Geo CD or Megadrive ones, covers a significantly smaller portion of the screen when scaling at an integer factor (like a 30 cm diagonal on my screen).

NTSC games are scaled at a higher factor, though.

As I would like to stick to an integer scaling factor (due to the artifacts when using a non integer one), is it possible to force the Amiga core to "crop" the borders so that it can be scaled at a higher factor ?

Please forgive me if this question doesn't belong here, if it's trivial or just stupid ;-). In other words, what I'm looking for is a way to force scaling at a given factor even if I lose a fraction of the screen. Not sure that's possible !
Last edited by mahen on Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:48 pm

Cropping is not supported.
But Minimig supports adjusting the size making border smaller (or gone).

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Estrayk » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi! merry xmas!, I've created a hdf image from a famous Amiga demos CDROM for Minimig core with best AGA 020 demos! can be useful for test minimig AGA core.

https://mega.nz/#!aMlWgKJT!ng3YpI3F9xnXQXHxDDDOiHvl5CfgMa5jt9PexEE11Ok
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・MISTer・

rsn8887
Atariator
Atariator

Postby rsn8887 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:40 pm

Has anyone gotten 4 player multitap gameplay to work? I thought it was supported, but doesn't work for me. I made an issue here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... /issues/46

The many 4 player freeware games were the best on the Amiga: SpaceTaxi 3, Masterblaster, etc.! And of course there was Dynablaster, too. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. Player 1 and 2 work, but player 3 and 4 do not react to anything I do on my controllers. The 3rd and 4th controllers control the menu just fine.

EDIT: Using Amiga 1200 config. Also tested just Dynablaster on A500 config, 4 player controls didn't work either.

EDIT 2: This was fixed by sorgelig in latest release20191228, tested with Spacetaxi3 (freeware game download: https://files.coolatoms.org/spacetaxi3.hdf)

sonycman
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sonycman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:52 am

I would appreciate, if somebody could check the Brian the Lion game.

In the menu there is rotating solid blue word "BRIAN", which is becomes corrupted with the black stripes while rotating.
Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T8i5fBVtN8

I`am using outdated november minimig sources, might the newer latest versions have this bug fixed?

Thanks in advance!

knc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby knc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:51 am

sonycman wrote:I would appreciate, if somebody could check the Brian the Lion game.

In the menu there is rotating solid blue word "BRIAN", which is becomes corrupted with the black stripes while rotating.
Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T8i5fBVtN8

I`am using outdated november minimig sources, might the newer latest versions have this bug fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure how you are playing the game but if its whd then its a known issue on the bug tracker for whd games

sonycman
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sonycman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:22 pm

knc wrote:Not sure how you are playing the game but if its whd then its a known issue on the bug tracker for whd games

I`am playing from ADF image, not whd.
So this is not fixed yet, I suppose?
Thanks for the information!

tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tenshin2002 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:22 pm

I cant even make Minimig to boot anymore. I can see some text and then just a grey screen. Everything worked a couple of days ago. I´m using Smokemonsters hd setup with tiny launcher. Like I said it was working fine but for some reason I cant even make it to the kickstart screen if i disable the hd.

EDIT: By switching between Area and Area+ i got the picture back somehow. I got a still picture on Blank but it works on Blank+. Altough i had it set to Area before when it worked... The aspect ratio seems a bit stretched in Area+ but I could be wrong? Whats the difference between these settings? Cant find info on it. Also I checked the wiki and it recommends 24MB of fast ram which I cant select. I can select 8 and then it goes to 256 and 384. I set it to 384 and it seems to work.

Juaniiito
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Juaniiito » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:52 pm

Hi To everyone. This is my first post ;) I just want to report an error:

There is a game that doesn't load. "Chuck Yeager's AFT2". I've tried differrent adfs and a WHLoad Version. Neither of them Load :? (Black Screen)

I have also tried lots of configurations with te same result. Some friends have the same issue when try to load. Any ideas? Thank you very much for reading me! :cheers:

petraka
Atarian
Atarian

Postby petraka » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:24 am

I confirm the issue with this game.
The same adf or whdload file work fine with emulator.
Thanks!

Return to “MiSTer”