Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby R4MS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:00 pm

apolkosnik wrote: I'm trying to figure out how to add the displacement to the stack pointer.

I've also tried that a while back, but finally gave up. I figured, that it might be good to understand die original (and much shorter) 68000 implementation of tg68k ( https://opencores.org/projects/tg68) first. Right now, I look into the IDE timings, as I think they are responsible for some of the random crashes.

Sinclair
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Sinclair » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm

In spite of the changes and the effort made, we continue to experience some users of the 64MB modules, gliches and instability in Minimig.
© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:18 pm

Did you try to only use the 256MB fastRAM option? Moreover you could try to disable both turbo modes, which slows down access to the ram module.

Also reading the first post of the MiSTer updates thread does not hurt:
MiSTer updates and changelog

This thread is strictly for Cores and HW updates!
No discussions are allowed here.
Unrelated posts will be deleted.

Basically only developers releasing MiSTer cores are allowed to post their updates here.

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm getting weird video glitches with 20190922 that I wasn't getting with 20190920. Pic attached below. 0920 working & 0922 giving me psychedelic colours man. Default config (deleted any and all minimig config files before launching) used mister_updater 3.3.1. Cold Reboot & power cycling. Even manually copied over Main_Mister.

Spanking new DE10 Nano
32MB SDRAM XS v1.1
HDMI Output

Groovy Amiga 0922

Normal Amiga 0920

Do I have no luck with DE10 Nanos? :lol:

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Make sure to (newly) set a valid memory mode in the new release. I also have to reset MiSTer from time to time, because crashes at startup or the video is corrupted.

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:22 pm

R4MS wrote:Make sure to (newly) set a valid memory mode in the new release. I also have to reset MiSTer from time to time, because crashes at startup or the video is corrupted.

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong, I've got it set with 2MB ChipRam. Fast and Slow Ram set to none. Am I missing something? I've deleted all the Minimig.cfg files, there's no startup configs.

Downloaded a fresh copy of Mister.ini and replaced it with whatever I had in the /config dir.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Minimig.zip

try this version.

Btw, turbo chipram negatively affects WHDLoad. For example Alladin AGA doesn't start if chipram is turbo. Probably CPU is too fast for that game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bazza12 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:55 pm

I've noticed the sprites on the amiga version of bombjack are now semi transparent.. bit weird.. :coffe:

Sinclair
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Sinclair » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:12 pm

R4MS wrote:Did you try to only use the 256MB fastRAM option? Moreover you could try to disable both turbo modes, which slows down access to the ram module.

Use only 256MB fastRAM?
It is not possible to use only fastRAM, the chip memory must necessarily be used.
Disable turbo mode does not solve the problem either.

R4MS wrote:Also reading the first post of the MiSTer updates thread does not hurt:

Basically only developers releasing MiSTer cores are allowed to post their updates here.

I do not understand your comment (I think you have also become wrong of thread), further if you later no scolds to other users who report here the errors of this update of Minimig.

CmputrBlu
Atarian
Atarian

Postby CmputrBlu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:28 pm

laserdisc wrote:I'm getting weird video glitches with 20190922 that I wasn't getting with 20190920. Pic attached below. 0920 working & 0922 giving me psychedelic colours man. Default config (deleted any and all minimig config files before launching) used mister_updater 3.3.1. Cold Reboot & power cycling. Even manually copied over Main_Mister.

Spanking new DE10 Nano
32MB SDRAM XS v1.1
HDMI Output

Groovy Amiga 0922

Normal Amiga 0920

Do I have no luck with DE10 Nanos? :lol:

Same problem here. So it's worse then the last problem. :(

Back to 20190717

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Sinclair wrote:
R4MS wrote:Also reading the first post of the MiSTer updates thread does not hurt:

I do not understand your comment (I think you have also become wrong of thread), further if you later no scolds to other users who report here the errors of this update of Minimig.

R4MS pointed you to the fact the update thread is only for updates and it's clearly written in the first post which you deliberately ignored several times.
Most problems come from inability to understand what is written.

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Minimig.zip
try this version.

Btw, turbo chipram negatively affects WHDLoad. For example Alladin AGA doesn't start if chipram is turbo. Probably CPU is too fast for that game.

Video is back to normal, tried some games, like Simcity (3hrs), Syndicate and Bombjack (didn't notice the transparent-ish graphics? but only played 3 stages before I had my butt handed to me.).

But holy crap 401MB of FastRam Available!?

The testing continues...

CmputrBlu
Atarian
Atarian

Postby CmputrBlu » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:13 am

try this version.

Tried this version out. Actually got rid of the random constant Workbench crashes. So we're on the right track :)

Only noticed a few things. Using a hdf created with Classic Workbench. The "run" icon on the left side does not show up when using this version. Some other settings..least that I noticed...are not "on". So unless not connected to this version, some things don't seem to be running.

Sinclair
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Sinclair » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:21 am

Sorgelig wrote:
Sinclair wrote:

R4MS pointed you to the fact the update thread is only for updates and it's clearly written in the first post which you deliberately ignored several times.
Most problems come from inability to understand what is written.

If you mean to the fact that yesterday I published by mistake in another thread, I'm sorry but you already punished me by deleting the post and then admonished me by PM. The matter was already very clear that is why I saw your comment here out of place.

With regard to the questions I make in my previous post, I would like to be answered.

Thank you.
Last edited by Sinclair on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:32 am

laserdisc wrote:Groovy Amiga 0922

Exact same here, also with 32MB SDRAM, so I would presume this is "normal" with this release.

And just to be clear, this is regardless of turbo, cpu, chipset, memory and/or kickstart settings.
-- kolla

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:54 pm

try this version.

That version seems to be working well on my 64MB AIO MiSTer.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:30 pm

kolla wrote:
laserdisc wrote:Groovy Amiga 0922

Exact same here, also with 32MB SDRAM, so I would presume this is "normal" with this release.

And just to be clear, this is regardless of turbo, cpu, chipset, memory and/or kickstart settings.

You've posted it much later than test version i've posted above. Do you want to say it happens even in that version? For many users it has been fixed.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:31 pm

I can confirm the graphics glitches rendering Minimig unusable. Everything is up to date on my end and I use the standard A500 and A1200 configurations. Even the kickstart screens (1.3 and 3.1 tested) are showing "snowlike" glitching lines.

GoingDown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby GoingDown » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm

try this version.

With 20190922 core, I had some graphics corruption in some games (Shadow of the Beast for example). With this core, graphics corruption is gone. Now however, it seems that I cannot boot from hard disk (.hdf with Amiga OS 3.1.4.1) with more than 8 megs of Fast ram, display just stays black and even no leds are flashing indicating any read operations... with 8 mb, it works.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Threepwood wrote:I can confirm the graphics glitches rendering Minimig unusable. Everything is up to date on my end and I use the standard A500 and A1200 configurations. Even the kickstart screens (1.3 and 3.1 tested) are showing "snowlike" glitching lines.

do you use test version i've posted above?

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Sorgelig wrote:do you use test version i've posted above?

I did not. Thanks, that test version fixes it on my end.

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:15 pm

I had the same graphic corruption with every config/kickstart, the test version posted above fix it. The corruption does not involved the osd.

retrofun
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby retrofun » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 pm

R4MS wrote:
apolkosnik wrote: I'm trying to figure out how to add the displacement to the stack pointer.

I've also tried that a while back, but finally gave up. I figured, that it might be good to understand die original (and much shorter) 68000 implementation of tg68k ( https://opencores.org/projects/tg68) first. Right now, I look into the IDE timings, as I think they are responsible for some of the random crashes.

Played around with TG68K on Sunday and added the RTD instruction for MiST:
https://github.com/retrofun/minimig-mis ... d486467af4

Seems to work.
MMULib doesn't crash anymore.
Passes Toni Wilen's cputest.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:54 pm

retrofun wrote:
R4MS wrote:

Played around with TG68K on Sunday and added the RTD instruction for MiST:
https://github.com/retrofun/minimig-mis ... d486467af4

Seems to work.
MMULib doesn't crash anymore.
Passes Toni Wilen's cputest.

Thanks!

here is the test version with RTD:
Minimig.zip

Need to test the build against stability
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:35 am

Sorgelig wrote:here is the test version with RTD:
Minimig.zip
Need to test the build against stability

I can confirm that the glitches are gone.

Also, with this core, LoadModule causes a freeze and flashing "power led", but after a reset (from OSD or ctrl-a-a) it reboots and continues, with kickstart module loaded.

The test binaries I got from Oliver still do not work with the test core with RTD.
(meh, silly forum doesn't accept lha extension, so here is a "pdf")
-- kolla

Return to “MiSTer”