Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - 3D printed

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Introducing a new 3D printed case for the MiSTer: Case Universal v5.2

CIMG0059.JPG

I remixed the original Universal Case for the MiSTer to now support the I/O-Board 5.2 .

The I/O-Board 5.2 now features a second SD-card slot and a protruding SoG switch rendering the older Case Universal 1.2 version obsolete.

The new case has new asymmetric connector points between top and bottom shell. It has new cutouts for SD-card slot, SoG switch and the a wider VGA connector. The fan now is mounted directly on the I/O-board PCB. Therefore the fan mounts are now omitted. To increase air flow the vents on the top have been drastically enlarged.

Capture1.JPG

To cover the side cutouts for the SoG and SOD-card slot there are separate plugs available as covers.

Another feature are the three integrated buttons allowing to press the I/O-boards tactile switches while the case is closed. The buttons are printed in place. Should they not move after the print, try using little force to break them free. I tested the print with 0,18mm layer height and 2 outer shells.

CIMG0043.JPG

Capture6.JPG

For those not interested in external buttons find a top shell file **without buttons**:
**MiSTer_Uni_52_Top_No_Buttons.stl**

The original screws of the DE10 Nano can again be used to fix the DE10 Nano inside the case (see pictures). If you find this to be too difficult try using sharp screws to prepare the holes. It works!

All 3D files are available on thingiverse and can be used without restriction.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2684660

https://youtu.be/8uKF6L_AuVg

Enjoy. :cheers:

CIMG0078.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wayne123
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - 3D printed

Postby Wayne123 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:48 pm

Very nice, thanks for making the files available.
1040 STF, MiST, FPGA Arcade, plus Amigas, NeXT and some PPC Macs.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:29 pm

:D indeed, this is a very nice design.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:12 am

It's tempting to get a second MiSTer to have both cases :D

nightshadowpt
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby nightshadowpt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 am

Its great to see how far the case has progressed. Thank you so much for all your effort and contribution to the community.

I do have a request for a future version if you would consider it.

One of the issues I have with the current design is the small fan, mostly because small fans are noisy. Would you consider having mounting holes for 80mm fans in the case? They are significantly more silent and can push a lot more air.

I am not even sure if this is possible given all the other elements inside the case, but it's just a thought.

Thank you once again for your help. This case looks amazing.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 am

nightshadowpt wrote:mostly because small fans are noisy.

not true. Choose correct fan and it will be silent.
nightshadowpt wrote:Would you consider having mounting holes for 80mm fans in the case? They are significantly more silent and can push a lot more air.

you're exaggerating the problem. DE10-nano doesn't produce so much heat requiring extensive cooling. 40mm ~2800rpm fan is more than enough.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for your feedback! :)

The new case was specifically designed for the 5.2 I/O-board, therefore there are no mounting holes/brackets for a fan in this case (fan is mounted directly on the PCB). As I have also different a I/O-board versions with slightly different button placement, I plan on designing a new top shell for the original universal case. I will carry over some improvements like the thicker vents on top.

Also I am looking into integrating a noctua fan called A4x20 into my 5.2 I/O-board. This fan is taller (20mm) and can move more air running really silent. This would solve the issue for noisy fan for the 5.2 version.

For older universal case version 1.2 I will look into a new fan mounting solutions. Different (larger / smaller) fan sizes will be considered. I will provide this top shell with the old symmetrical connection points to the bottom shell. so that some part of the old cases do not have to be re-printed and can be re-used.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 pm

I really like the design of this case. :cheers:

Here are photos of my case:
https://www.thingiverse.com/make:412738

IMG_0111.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 pm

For all of you looking for a silent fan option for your MiSTer. I tested the Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX 5V connecting it to the 3.3V rail. While it is shoveling quite some air it is now only noticeable when pressing the ear against the case - nothing I like to do often ;-P

So for anybody being plagued by a low noise environment which does not cover up the fan noises - try this fan! - It is quite price though. :angel:

nightshadowpt
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby nightshadowpt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:48 pm

I guess that having the NF-A4x20 FLX 5V connected to the 3.3v rail will significantly reduce the noise from 14,9 dB(A) to somewhere close to 12dB(A), while at the same time maintaining an airflow of approximately 6m³/h. Is that enough for the MISTer?

If it is, I have to admit that's quite silent for a 40mm fan and probably the best fan for the MISTer.

Regardless, it does not matter how efficient the fan is, we cannot beat physics.
Having something like the NF-A8 ULN connected to the 5v rail will still provide an airflow around 12m³/h for only 6dB(A).

And that's double the airflow for half of the noise...

Anyway, we are splitting straws here, as anything below 15dB(A) is already pretty much silent. I just love to see a properly engineered device and too often I see people forgetting that cooling (or noise) is a big part of the equation.

(and yes, before you ask, the NF-A8 ULN works pretty well with the 5v rail. I have one on my RaspberryPi3 and it's working great.)

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:43 pm

For those still using the v1.2 version of the case and having interest in the new top shell of the v5.2 version with the new vent design.
I added a new top file to the old thingiverse page incl. the new vents on the top shell for version v1.2.

However. you will have to provide your on fan bracket solution for this top - until I come up with something. :wink:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2527243

Object: MiSTer Case Uni v1 Top Shell_New_Vents.stl

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:20 pm

NegSol wrote:Introducing a new 3D printed case for the MiSTer: Case Universal v5.2

Can you make a similar case with following paremeters:
- I/O board v5.2 with fan 10mm
- SDRAM xs (extra slim) v1.1
- integrated buttons
- holes for 3mm LEDs. LEDs are supposed to be soldered higher to fit holes in case.
- Upper part of case should be as low as possible. with 10mm fan, the highest part on I/O board is frame of VGA connector.
- Width of case matches the width of DE10-nano.

In simple words, case matching the MiSTer in all dimensions. With new SDRAM board, there are no protruding parts except I/O board with its connectors.

Here is precise 3D model of MiSTer with all expansion boards plugged: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... -xs-1.1.7z
Connectors are in their correct positions and should be precise enough to make good looking holes in case.
Remove the 4 bottom standoffs from my model, so it won't occupy the height in case.

I wanted to modify your case, but i found my knowledge of 3D designing app is not so strong :)

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:50 pm

I will give it a shot. Not sure if I will get all of the things you request in but I will see what I can do. With the new sdram board one could end up with a pretty small case. :D

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:57 pm

I hope the 3D model of MiSTer will help you.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Terrific model of yours! Thank you! Should be helpful. :mrgreen:

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:10 pm

don't forget to remove bottom standoffs - they don't need inside the case.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:33 pm

May it's better to divide the case to bottom and top not in middle, but above the I/O board level. In this case, the board will be closer to case's wall. So, SOG switch will protrude outside and won't require so big hole. Also, SD card will be easier to access and probably won't require large hole as well.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:22 pm

Good ideas. I will post a first impression or maybe more soon (nearly done). I tried to stick to mostly proven forms and sizes. I currently do not plan on printing the case myself and changing a lot would require testing (i.e. printing it).

I can see your point wanting a smaller case. But there is always a trade off. If we get too small (easy to get wrong with a hobby 3d printer) the case model is useless to the user. That is why I always plan some wiggle room clearance wise.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Here we go: The MiSTer XS Case - first rendered impressions - files will follow in a new thread tomorrow.. :angel:

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:27 am

Last picture with transparent case looks like real ;)
VGA connector has weird hole.. by the way, i found that even in your case v5.2 the hole for VGA is a bit wrong - not centered horizontally. I didn't print the case, but according to holes i see that upper edge of VGA connector's hole should be higher than TOSLINK while in your model it's almost the same level.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 am

Yes - I will print a more less transparent case one day. :D

About the connector openings. For some reason it took me quite some time to get them the way they are. One has to take into account that the main board has to be skrewed down and the case has to be assembled at some point. As the I/O board has the protruding vga connector and has to be fitted after the main board is skrewed down and the panels are already in place. So with too tight tolerances on the panel openings it is easy to get it wrong. The current setup will work and can be built upon. I guess maybe to make the tolerances perfect the case would have to be redesigned to be assembled differently 8)

Still I am pretty happy with the result. Maybe I will print one mayself, should I be able to get my hands on one of the XS Ram boards. :mrgreen:

alanswx
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alanswx » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:07 pm

I love the case. I have struggled with threading the holes correctly. Have you thought about putting in a captive nut instead? I am working on making a sample:
https://github.com/alanswx/MiSTerCase

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks - looks interesting.

I designed the holes a bit on the tight end of the spectrum. Not all printers are really accurate and one can always widen it using a smaller skew size to "pre-drill" it. Of course if you want to remove it often a metal on metal solution like you propose is more fitting and will last you longer. But this is not my use case. :P

alanswx
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alanswx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:57 am

I am going to print it on high quality overnight and I will post pictures if it works out well.

I used a tapping tool for your design, and when I did it carefully it worked great. My printer doesn't seem to print screw holes well. I wonder if I need to adjust it slightly (Taz Lulzbot)

alanswx
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alanswx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 am

I printed it, I think it works pretty well now. https://github.com/alanswx/MiSTerCase
IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

I printed it on high resolution, and the screw holes seemed to work pretty well on their own. I do think the captive nut is pretty nice though.

Return to “MiSTer”