Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - 3D printed

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Introducing a new 3D printed case for the MiSTer: Case Universal v5.2

CIMG0059.JPG

I remixed the original Universal Case for the MiSTer to now support the I/O-Board 5.2 .

The I/O-Board 5.2 now features a second SD-card slot and a protruding SoG switch rendering the older Case Universal 1.2 version obsolete.

The new case has new asymmetric connector points between top and bottom shell. It has new cutouts for SD-card slot, SoG switch and the a wider VGA connector. The fan now is mounted directly on the I/O-board PCB. Therefore the fan mounts are now omitted. To increase air flow the vents on the top have been drastically enlarged.

Capture1.JPG

To cover the side cutouts for the SoG and SOD-card slot there are separate plugs available as covers.

Another feature are the three integrated buttons allowing to press the I/O-boards tactile switches while the case is closed. The buttons are printed in place. Should they not move after the print, try using little force to break them free. I tested the print with 0,18mm layer height and 2 outer shells.

CIMG0043.JPG

Capture6.JPG

For those not interested in external buttons find a top shell file **without buttons**:
**MiSTer_Uni_52_Top_No_Buttons.stl**

The original screws of the DE10 Nano can again be used to fix the DE10 Nano inside the case (see pictures). If you find this to be too difficult try using sharp screws to prepare the holes. It works!

All 3D files are available on thingiverse and can be used without restriction.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2684660

https://youtu.be/8uKF6L_AuVg

Enjoy. :cheers:

CIMG0078.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wayne123
Atari User
Atari User

Re: MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - 3D printed

Postby Wayne123 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:48 pm

Very nice, thanks for making the files available.
1040 STF, MiST

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:29 pm

:D indeed, this is a very nice design.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:12 am

It's tempting to get a second MiSTer to have both cases :D

nightshadowpt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby nightshadowpt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 am

Its great to see how far the case has progressed. Thank you so much for all your effort and contribution to the community.

I do have a request for a future version if you would consider it.

One of the issues I have with the current design is the small fan, mostly because small fans are noisy. Would you consider having mounting holes for 80mm fans in the case? They are significantly more silent and can push a lot more air.

I am not even sure if this is possible given all the other elements inside the case, but it's just a thought.

Thank you once again for your help. This case looks amazing.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 am

nightshadowpt wrote:mostly because small fans are noisy.

not true. Choose correct fan and it will be silent.
nightshadowpt wrote:Would you consider having mounting holes for 80mm fans in the case? They are significantly more silent and can push a lot more air.

you're exaggerating the problem. DE10-nano doesn't produce so much heat requiring extensive cooling. 40mm ~2800rpm fan is more than enough.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for your feedback! :)

The new case was specifically designed for the 5.2 I/O-board, therefore there are no mounting holes/brackets for a fan in this case (fan is mounted directly on the PCB). As I have also different a I/O-board versions with slightly different button placement, I plan on designing a new top shell for the original universal case. I will carry over some improvements like the thicker vents on top.

Also I am looking into integrating a noctua fan called A4x20 into my 5.2 I/O-board. This fan is taller (20mm) and can move more air running really silent. This would solve the issue for noisy fan for the 5.2 version.

For older universal case version 1.2 I will look into a new fan mounting solutions. Different (larger / smaller) fan sizes will be considered. I will provide this top shell with the old symmetrical connection points to the bottom shell. so that some part of the old cases do not have to be re-printed and can be re-used.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 pm

I really like the design of this case. :cheers:

Here are photos of my case:
https://www.thingiverse.com/make:412738

IMG_0111.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 pm

For all of you looking for a silent fan option for your MiSTer. I tested the Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX 5V connecting it to the 3.3V rail. While it is shoveling quite some air it is now only noticeable when pressing the ear against the case - nothing I like to do often ;-P

So for anybody being plagued by a low noise environment which does not cover up the fan noises - try this fan! - It is quite price though. :angel:

Return to “MiSTer”