Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:46 am

Collection of my wireless gamepads:
20190406_163949.jpg

SixAxis, 2x DualShock3, DualShock4, Logitech F710(RF), Thrustmaster 430(RF), 8bitdo M30, SF30 Pro, SN30 Pro.

Also have couple wired gamepads not included here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:10 pm

So in regards to the latest work done on BT compatability, will an option be added to allow button combinations to access the MiSTer's menu screen for pads that dont have quiet enough buttons, example holding select and pressing start on the SNES 8BitDo pad would bring up the menu screen?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:54 pm

Get PS4 or 8bitdo SF30 Pro gamepad - problem solved.

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Get PS4 or 8bitdo SF30 Pro gamepad - problem solved.

Yeah i appreciate that they have more buttons but not everyone has those pads though, and would be a nice option for people who have other pads

I take it it is a lot of work to implement 2 button combination for bring up the MiSTer menu then?

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Ok so can i now pair up my 8BitDO SFC pad to a standard USB bluetooth dongle then i dont need the 8BitDo red brick receiver anymore??

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:56 pm

BlockABoots wrote:Yeah i appreciate that they have more buttons but not everyone has those pads though, and would be a nice option for people who have other pads

These gamepads aren't rare and very easy to find. It's worth the comfort you will get with it.

BlockABoots wrote:I take it it is a lot of work to implement 2 button combination for bring up the MiSTer menu then?

I've told many times - it will break the current logic of OSD button. It's already used with combination of other buttons to activate/adjust auto fire and mouse mode.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Just bought this micro keyboard in local store (SN30 Pro on the bottom for size compare):
20190410_211409.jpg

I've bought it thinking its bluetooth, but it's RF with dongle. But from other side RF keyboards are much more convenient in usage - always ready.
And i found it very convenient as a companion for gamepad. If you don't want to keep a large keyboard, then this keyboard is for you. Unlike many micro keyboards it has almost all "not so useful" keys for normal PC and very useful for MiSTer. Also it has several multimedia keys which can be remapped to some absent keys. So i can recommend it as a very MiSTer friendly keyboard.
It's even not bad to play on it. Directional buttons aren't real dpad, but still not bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 am

I have a mini bkuetooth keyboard, would it work with the new BT dongle support or it needs a different driver than gamepads?

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 am

Newsdee wrote:I have a mini bkuetooth keyboard, would it work with the new BT dongle support or it needs a different driver than gamepads?

Keyboard support is there, but it can be problematic as Linux Bluetooth in general. Modern BT keyboards tend to be BT4 LE and Bluez4 doesn't like that, so you need a BT EDR keyboard (or fiddle and install Bluez5, but then you're on your own) and some keyboards just don't pair (i.e. Logitech K380)... but if you have a BT EDR keyboard or mouse and you can pair, support is there.

Regards.

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 am

Locutus73 wrote:Keyboard support is there, but it can be problematic as Linux Bluetooth in general. Modern BT keyboards tend to be BT4 LE and Bluez4 doesn't like that, so you need a BT EDR keyboard (or fiddle and install Bluez5, but then you're on your own) and some keyboards just don't pair (i.e. Logitech K380)... but if you have a BT EDR keyboard or mouse and you can pair, support is there.

This is too exaggerated. Most keyboards are classic BT keyboards, especially those micro keyboards.
I also have micro BT keyboard. It works fine. And it even quickly re-connects upon MiSTer reboot. So it has no problem like gamepads loosing the connection. But that BT keyboard is too reduced to be recommended even as companion for gamepad.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:10 am

Sorgelig wrote:This is too exaggerated. Most keyboards are classic BT keyboards, especially those micro keyboards.
I also have micro BT keyboard. It works fine. And it even quickly re-connects upon MiSTer reboot. So it has no problem like gamepads loosing the connection. But that BT keyboard is too reduced to be recommended even as companion for gamepad.

Ok, maybe... my experience is limited to Microsoft and Logitech offering, and all keyboards/mice recently released are BT4.
Anyway the gist remains: if it pairs to MiSTer, support is there, both for mouse and keyboard, with no added hassle.

Regards.

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:34 am

I have Microsoft Presenter 8000 mouse. It's like 10 years old may be. It comes with its own BT dongle which acts as standard USB mouse.
When i've tried to pair it with standard BT receiver i've got different errors like asking for pin or confirmation or even timeouts. Basically it's impossible to connect this mouse. It's more like Microsoft specific problem than general. So, avoid Microsoft BT devices.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I have Microsoft Presenter 8000 mouse. It's like 10 years old may be. It comes with its own BT dongle which acts as standard USB mouse.
When i've tried to pair it with standard BT receiver i've got different errors like asking for pin or confirmation or even timeouts. Basically it's impossible to connect this mouse. It's more like Microsoft specific problem than general. So, avoid Microsoft BT devices.

Yeah, I feel your pain: similar to the experience I had with Logitech K380. During the pairing process with a Logitech BT Keyboard, the host device prompts a numeric code which you have to type in the keyboard and then press return. I did somehow (I don't remember how, many random tries) manage to pair only using Bluez5's bluetoothctl, but it wasn't stable (no reconnection at reboot).
Anyway I found my final (for some time :lol: ) configuration with a Logitech K780 keyboard and a M720 Mouse. They both support pairing to three distinct hosts (with a button for switching) and they support both BT4 LE and custom Logitech 2.4GHz protocol through their Unifying receiver dongle (which acts as an USB M+K and is included both with the M and K). So slot 1 of both K and M is paired to one Unifying dongle which goes into my gaming PC, the second dongle is paired to slot 2 and goes into MiSTer... Keyboard slot 3 is paired to my AppleTV and Mouse slot 3 is paired to my main laptop, both through BT4.
One M+K to rule them all...

Regards.

Locutus73

aristogeiton
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby aristogeiton » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:51 am

Microsoft Wireless all-in-one works a treat for me.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:00 pm

aristogeiton wrote:Microsoft Wireless all-in-one works a treat for me.

Yeah, I love the Microsoft all-in-one media keyboard.
My goal now was having just one M+K combo which could switch back and forth the gaming PC and Mister just tapping a button.

Regards.

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Locutus73 wrote:
aristogeiton wrote:Microsoft Wireless all-in-one works a treat for me.

Yeah, I love the Microsoft all-in-one media keyboard.
My goal now was having just one M+K combo which could switch back and forth the gaming PC and Mister just tapping a button.

Regards.

Locutus73

Universal solutions are usually full of compromises. While i like my K400r combo keyboard for MiSTer, i prefer other kind of keyboard for PC. Just usages are very different. At least for me.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:04 am

Sorgelig wrote:
Locutus73 wrote:Universal solutions are usually full of compromises. While i like my K400r combo keyboard for MiSTer, i prefer other kind of keyboard for PC. Just usages are very different. At least for me.

Probably you would prefer the K375S Image which is more traditional than my K780 Image but it has the same ability to pair to three different devices (BT4 or Logitech Unifying dongle) switching back and forth.
I preferred the K780 because of the short travel isle keys and because it’s a little smaller and more stylish (I use it mostly in the kitchen and in the living room).
Honestly I don’t type that much on the MiSTer or the gaming PC... mostly F12 and LOAD”*”,8,1 on the first and the second one is a “single task” modern/retro gaming PC, connected to the various home TV/Projectors (just like MiSTer through HDBaseT) which boots directly into BigBox frontend and is mostly operated by joypads.

Regards.

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:18 am

For MiSTer, combo keyboard with integrated touchpad is better as some cores need the mouse input.

Vwbug2010
Atarian
Atarian

8-bit do usb dongle

Postby Vwbug2010 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 am

Hi all I purchased a 8-bit USB dongle the orange version however cant get it to do much with my mister, any ideas? Does it need updating?

Simon

http://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter/

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: 8-bit do usb dongle

Postby warham » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 pm

Vwbug2010 wrote:Hi all I purchased a 8-bit USB dongle the orange version however cant get it to do much with my mister, any ideas? Does it need updating?

Simon

http://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter/

update the 8bit firmware. also the usb hub makes a difference.

Vwbug2010
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Vwbug2010 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks updated the firmware but it won’t connect to my ps4 controllers? Should I have purchased the grey brick not the orange?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Vwbug2010 wrote:Thanks updated the firmware but it won’t connect to my ps4 controllers? Should I have purchased the grey brick not the orange?

try it on PC first. Make sure you can pair use there.

Vwbug2010
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Vwbug2010 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Good plan I’ll try in on the pc if not I’ll buy a 8bit do controller

mutmuthux
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mutmuthux » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 am

850 wrote:Anyone happen to know if the Ultimarc I-pac works?
https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac.html

I plan to put a miSTer with arcade cores into a bartop cabinet.

Sorry for digging up an old post, but I've searched and cant find an answer to this question.
Or should I just buy some 'zero delay' encoders ?

Thanks

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:42 am

Vwbug2010 wrote:Good plan I’ll try in on the pc if not I’ll buy a 8bit do controller

Several people in the thread have flashed the orange brick with the grey firmware.
I have done it but I don't have a ps4 controller to test.

Return to “MiSTer”