Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Salamanca, España

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby vanfanel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 pm

PsyFX wrote:Seems the latest update has broken compatibility with some 8bitdo controllers?
I have tested the following using both Bluetooth (brown 8bit dongle with psc firmware v1.22) and Direct USB connection.

SNES30/SFC30: skipped the tilt functions and hangs after selecting "right" with a joystick id (can't assign left)

M30: skipped the tilt functions and hangs after selecting "right" with a joystick id (can't assign left)

NES PRO/FC30 PRO: Bluetooth mode: Hangs after assigning tilt right with joystick id.
Direct USB connection: This works! I was able to make button assignments as normal.
In the case of this controller which has 2 analog sticks I assigned tilt right / down to sticks 1 /2.

I tried deleting "recent" joystick maps from the /config, with no effect.

Can any else confirm this? or offer a fix?


I am seeing the same here, exactly the same.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 pm


User avatar
JohnnotveryDoe
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 pm
Location: France

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby JohnnotveryDoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:51 am

Does anyone try to use one those adapters :
- blissbox , with the SNES adapter
or
- raphnet , SNES controller to USB adapter ?

one friend wants to buy one those adapter in order to play his favourite console : SNES ! :D

JUNKERSeed
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:11 am

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby JUNKERSeed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:13 am

PsyFX wrote:Seems the latest update has broken compatibility with some 8bitdo controllers?
I have tested the following using both Bluetooth (brown 8bit dongle with psc firmware v1.22) and Direct USB connection.

SNES30/SFC30: skipped the tilt functions and hangs after selecting "right" with a joystick id (can't assign left)

M30: skipped the tilt functions and hangs after selecting "right" with a joystick id (can't assign left)

NES PRO/FC30 PRO: Bluetooth mode: Hangs after assigning tilt right with joystick id.
Direct USB connection: This works! I was able to make button assignments as normal.
In the case of this controller which has 2 analog sticks I assigned tilt right / down to sticks 1 /2.

I tried deleting "recent" joystick maps from the /config, with no effect.

Can any else confirm this? or offer a fix?


I have the same issue as your SNES30/SFC30, but with a wired iBuffalo Classic USB Gamepad (SNES pad).

Scope1
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Scope1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:18 am

Hi,

I upgraded just yesterday using the update script and my speedlink competition pro extra joystick was only responsive to right and down. Left and up were broken so I copied the previous setup and menu files back over and this fixed it. Hope the next update fixes this so I can update, it seemed to be something with the settings possibly or the latest menu.rbf file - not sure which. Hope this helps someone.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Scope1 wrote:Hi,

I upgraded just yesterday using the update script and my speedlink competition pro extra joystick was only responsive to right and down. Left and up were broken so I copied the previous setup and menu files back over and this fixed it. Hope the next update fixes this so I can update, it seemed to be something with the settings possibly or the latest menu.rbf file - not sure which. Hope this helps someone.

Topic about updates and Wiki link reading is more helpful i think.

Paertan
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:16 am

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Paertan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm

I have tested my old Playstation 3 Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightStick. It works! This one:
Image
It works terrible on PC with only a few USB controller cards so I doubted it would work but to my surprise it worked. Could not find any info on anyone else testing it.

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby PsyFX » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:24 pm

Paertan wrote:I have tested my old Playstation 3 Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightStick. It works! This one:
Image
It works terrible on PC with only a few USB controller cards so I doubted it would work but to my surprise it worked. Could not find any info on anyone else testing it.


I have the same joystick (sanwa parts :wink: )
I just tried with the latest build and doesn't work for me... I tested with prior builds as well.
is yours modified in anyway (aftermarket pcb/encoder)? using some kind of usb adapter? etc

Hell... I found out just now this joystick doesn't work on my new PC (not UHCI compliant I guess)

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1507
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Newsdee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:54 pm

You can always get an encoder card and rewire the stick. Cheaper than getting a new one...

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby PsyFX » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 pm

Newsdee wrote:You can always get an encoder card and rewire the stick. Cheaper than getting a new one...


I got a couple Phreakmods Cerberus pcb's, I just lack the proper motivation to install one :wink:
also with having the xbox 360 variants of this stick, which have no issues with mister or my pc so its not a pressing issue.

Paertan
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:16 am

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Paertan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:00 am

PsyFX wrote:
Paertan wrote:I have tested my old Playstation 3 Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightStick. It works! This one:
Image
It works terrible on PC with only a few USB controller cards so I doubted it would work but to my surprise it worked. Could not find any info on anyone else testing it.


I have the same joystick (sanwa parts :wink: )
I just tried with the latest build and doesn't work for me... I tested with prior builds as well.
is yours modified in anyway (aftermarket pcb/encoder)? using some kind of usb adapter? etc

Hell... I found out just now this joystick doesn't work on my new PC (not UHCI compliant I guess)

That is weird. I just tried my stick again and now it doesn't work. I played some Columns yesterday just to try it so I know I got it working. Maybe have to use the right port of my USB hub. I have to connect it to my PS3 and confirm it works properly as well. Its old so the cable could be glitching.
I'll check and get back.
I have only changed the buttons on mine. The PCB is original but I do plan to switch it out so I can use it for PS4 and PC.

markun
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby markun » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:20 am

I couldn't assign UP and RIGHT of either of the analogue sticks of my SN30 Pro. I finally figured out what it was and how to fix it:

My SN30 Pro was in X-Input mode and connected to my Brown Brick receiver, also set to X-Input mode. Firmware version of the SN30 Pro was 1.29.

After trying all modes of the Brown Brick receiver and still having no luck, I connected the controller directly over USB to my Linux laptop and went to test the analogue sticks with: https://html5gamepad.com/

I noticed that UP and RIGHT never reached -1.0 and +1.0 respectively (only something like -0.96... and +0.96).

Starting the SN30 Pro in MacOS mode (START+A) fixed the issue and all axis of both analogue sticks could go from -1.0 to +1.0. After connecting to the Brick, X-Input mode (on the Brick) worked fine and I could assign the analogue sticks in the MiSTer core.

I noticed there is a firmware update 1.30 for the SN30 Pro that states: "Enhance the accuracy of joystick." in the changelog. After updating the firmware, X-Input mode on the controller has the full -1.0 to +1.0 range for all axis. After connecting to the Brick in X-Input mode, everything still works.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:43 am

I can relax extreme positions in joystick setup. Originally it was 90% of the max, but later i've thought that joystick must reach its max claimed positions. Probably not all manufacturers respect their claimed values. I will set it to 90%.

Regardless the setup procedure, Analog to Digital map is done by 50% of max value.

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:39 am
Location: Germany

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby THaase » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:41 am

**** DELETED ****
Due to missing read capabilities
Last edited by THaase on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowmo310
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby slowmo310 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:38 am

JohnnotveryDoe wrote:Does anyone try to use one those adapters :
- blissbox , with the SNES adapter
or
- raphnet , SNES controller to USB adapter ?

one friend wants to buy one those adapter in order to play his favourite console : SNES ! :D


I have the raphnet adapter, except it is used with snes classic pads. It is my preferred way of playing SNES. I think it's worth a shot if your friend has original controls to go for a raphnet since it would be cheaper and ,I'm assuming, comparable.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Buying USB adapter like blissbox or similar for SNES gamepad is a waste.
8bitdo USB SNES gamepad is much better with more buttons and analog sticks (required for some cored). And with additional 8bitdo receiver you get wireless adapter.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pm

My M30 has just arrived.
It has slick and smooth curves with nice feeling. So, appearace is good.
But when it comes to usage i cannot find it as convenient. I prefer to have standard layout with pair of triggers on each side than 6 buttons on top. Probably the only core which get benefit is obviously Genesis.
But regardless the layout, this gamepad has no analog sticks. So cores requiring analog joystick will suffer. Mouse emulation will suffer as well. Games not requiring precise moving like SHMUP or even platformers are better with stick control (even if it just mapped to digital).

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby zomgugoff » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:43 am

Sorgelig wrote:My M30 has just arrived.
It has slick and smooth curves with nice feeling. So, appearace is good.
But when it comes to usage i cannot find it as convenient. I prefer to have standard layout with pair of triggers on each side than 6 buttons on top. Probably the only core which get benefit is obviously Genesis.
But regardless the layout, this gamepad has no analog sticks. So cores requiring analog joystick will suffer. Mouse emulation will suffer as well. Games not requiring precise moving like SHMUP or even platformers are better with stick control (even if it just mapped to digital).


Lol, there was a 6-button pad for PCEngine/TG16 and there are... 2 games that use all 6 of the buttons (and a handful that use 3-4) that will run on the current core! More if CD becomes functional. I keep hearing that the Genesis 6-button and/or Saturn model 2 d-pad was the 'best ever', and the M30 seems to have copied it pretty closely.

I agree that sticks are better for shmups. But, analog sticks for analog-native games, and arcade sticks for digital-only games. :D

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1507
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Newsdee » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:01 am

Reviews seem to say the DPad of the M30 is good. I'll see when I get mine...

User avatar
JohnnotveryDoe
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 pm
Location: France

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby JohnnotveryDoe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:23 pm

well.. My biggest complain is the "steam" from 8bitdo between M30 and M30 2.4g.
And there is a BIG difference regarding latency !! 8O
check here : https://www.retrorgb.com/krikzz-joyzz-vs-8bitdo-m30-2-4g-vs-8bitdo-m30-bluetooth-input-latency-lag-testing.html

"Conclusion: Stick with either the Joyzz or M30 2.4g for your 16bit Sega console unless you absolutely need a bluetooth controller that can sync with all sorts of other devices."

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby SegaMan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:14 pm

Maybe a early Firmware Problem.
On latest Firmware i dont recognice any lag on my M30 BT Controller.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:33 pm

8bitdo gamepads according to manual should automatically turn off after some inactivity period (10 or 15 mins), but it seems not the case when 8bitdo receiver is used.
I've started to use generic BT receiver and now automatic shutdown works. This is good because i always forget to turn gamepad off and it usually lays many hours working till run off the battery.

xzarian
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby xzarian » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:13 am

Can we only have one controller bound to the osd button? Are all the menu buttons only mapped to one controller?

warham
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:17 am

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby warham » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:59 am

Sorgelig wrote:8bitdo gamepads according to manual should automatically turn off after some inactivity period (10 or 15 mins), but it seems not the case when 8bitdo receiver is used.
I've started to use generic BT receiver and now automatic shutdown works. This is good because i always forget to turn gamepad off and it usually lays many hours working till run off the battery.



Have any preference on the BT chip, CSR or BC or not matter?
I was looking at this all in one adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGSHH2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Drivers listed by the seller.
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1ZqcrFLHGWNsdroJt7EtKgw
PSK: ez5f

No1: That's the WIFI driver for IOS.
No2: That's the WIFI driver for Windows. (you could download No7, that's new and simple to install)
No3: The bluetooth of Windows 10.
No4: The bluetooth of Windows7/8.
No5: The driver of Linux.
No6: The driver to make a hotspot. (please download No7)
No7: New version, simple install WIFI driver of windows

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 am

warham wrote:Have any preference on the BT chip, CSR or BC or not matter?

i've tested BCM20702 and CSR8510 - both work fine. Actually i've bought 4 random BT dongles from different manufacturers in local stores and 3 of them with CSR8510, the 4th is BCM20702.

warham wrote:I was looking at this all in one adapter.

I strongly DON'T suggest to use combined dongles.
If driver is not included in current kernel then you won't be able to use this dongle. You can't install the driver like you do on Windows. So you will have to learn how to compile the driver and make it work by yourself.


Return to “MiSTer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SegaMan and 9 guests