Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby zomgugoff » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Of course you need to bind it. It's a little tricky. You need to assign L1 and R1 before to prevent it registered while assigning OSD button. Usually i assign L1/R1 as mouse buttons L/R, so when it will come to OSD button you will be able the press both these buttons and they will be ignored and at the end press the Start which will trigger new code which will be registered as OSD.

I think the key combo is causing an input code that does the same thing as ESC. I have discovered that, after deleting all of the input binding files, pressing L+R+Start is not actually binding, but cancelling the binding process. I can get the menus to change without binding anything at all. If you bind everything in the C64 core and try the combo, the cursor blinks, which is the same behavior as pressing ESC(which I guess is Run/Stop). I'm curious how you would get something that cancels the binding process to bind.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 pm

hmm. I didn't check this precisely. Then it will have really problem to bind.
Then try to bind another PSC combo: Select+Down.

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby zomgugoff » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 am

Sorgelig wrote:hmm. I didn't check this precisely. Then it will have really problem to bind.
Then try to bind another PSC combo: Select+Down.

I tried that one also. It's not recognized at all.

Out of curiosity, I used this dongle with a keyboard test on a Windows 10 machine. L+R+Start doesn't actually trigger ESC, but Select+Down generates a keyboard code that apparently corresponds to "MediaPlayPause". I then tried it on an Android phone and noticed it was triggering a 'back' button press and then + signs until the buttons were all released. I installed KeyEvent Display and checked the combos. L+R+Start triggers scancodes 78 followed by 1. Select+Start triggers 240 followed by 164. This program logs both what it calls 'codes' and 'scancodes'. I'm not sure what the 'codes' are, maybe Android specific codes... Either way, the 'back' event would explain the behavior of the OSD when L+R+Start is pressed. Are media keys and other non-standard keys not able to be bound on MiSTer?

EDIT: I should clarify, the codes I got were with the 1.21 dongle firmware. After upgrading to 1.22, the codes were L+R+Start = code 111 / scancode 1, Select+Down = 85 / scancode 164.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Well, MiSTer doesn't expect joystick codes and keyboard codes coming from the same device. MiSTer binary needs special tweak to workaround this quirk.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:42 pm

PSC receiver is present as 2 input devices in system: keyboard and joystick. This completely breaks the algo of input device handling in MiSTer. Fortunately it's just 2 virtual keys - i've hard mapped them to OSD button.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby vanfanel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Sorgelig wrote:PSC receiver is present as 2 input devices in system: keyboard and joystick. This completely breaks the algo of input device handling in MiSTer. Fortunately it's just 2 virtual keys - i've hard mapped them to OSD button.

So, using the 8bitdo SN30, it should be possible to do DOWN+SELECT now to enter the OSD in any core? I have tried this, and also tried mapping L+R+SELECT to OSD on the MiSTer menu (after assigning L and R to left and right mouse buttons as you suggested), with no luck.

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby PsyFX » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:49 pm

vanfanel wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:PSC receiver is present as 2 input devices in system: keyboard and joystick. This completely breaks the algo of input device handling in MiSTer. Fortunately it's just 2 virtual keys - i've hard mapped them to OSD button.

So, using the 8bitdo SN30, it should be possible to do DOWN+SELECT now to enter the OSD in any core? I have tried this, and also tried mapping L+R+SELECT to OSD on the MiSTer menu (after assigning L and R to left and right mouse buttons as you suggested), with no luck.

The button combos are now hard-coded with the latest core. Meaning you don't have to map them, just map the normal buttons and skip the "OSD" bind.

FYI: I flashed the firmware on the original Brown Brick 8bitdo receivers with the latest PSC Grey Brick firmware v1.22 and works like a charm with a SNES30 gamepad, as the receivers are the same device apart from the color.
Last edited by PsyFX on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanfanel

Postby vanfanel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 am

PsyFX wrote:
The button combos are now hard-coded with the latest core. Meaning you don't have to map them, just map the normal buttons and skip the "OSD" bind.

FYI: I flashed the firmware on the original Red Brick 8bitdo receivers with the latest PSC Grey Brick firmware v1.22 and works like a charm with a SNES30 gamepad, as the receivers are the same device apart from the color.

What combos are these exactly?

Also, after some tries (I tried pressing L+R+Select, Down+Start, etc...), there's something VERY strange happening with my 8bitdo USB receiver (2.4Ghz, red brick one, NOT bluetooth) and my SN30 gamepad: whenever I pair the receiver and the gamepad, and press a button on the gamepad, it hangs any GNU/Linux I have it connected to, be it the MiSTer or my Debian computer... Any idea on what's going on here? Of course tried to power on the gamepad with START+B to no avail: as soon as it's paired with the receiver and I press a button, it hangs the whole system!
Is there a way to reset the receiver to factory settings, if possible at all? (I don't know if these receivers can store configuration data of some kind)

My receivers seem to be detected as PS4 pads now, according to lsusb:

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 015: ID 054c:05c4 Sony Corp. DualShock 4

Any idea on why?

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby PsyFX » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:22 am

vanfanel wrote:
PsyFX wrote:

FYI: I flashed the firmware on the original Red Brick 8bitdo receivers with the latest PSC Grey Brick firmware v1.22 and works like a charm with a SNES30 gamepad, as the receivers are the same device apart from the color.

What combos are these exactly?

Also, after some tries (I tried pressing L+R+Select, Down+Start, etc...), there's something VERY strange happening with my 8bitdo USB receiver (2.4Ghz, red brick one, NOT bluetooth) and my SN30 gamepad: whenever I pair the receiver and the gamepad, and press a button on the gamepad, it hangs any GNU/Linux I have it connected to, be it the MiSTer or my Debian computer... Any idea on what's going on here? Of course tried to power on the gamepad with START+B to no avail: as soon as it's paired with the receiver and I press a button, it hangs the whole system!
Is there a way to reset the receiver to factory settings, if possible at all? (I don't know if these receivers can store configuration data of some kind)

As far as I can tell, both combos ( L+R+Select, Down+Start) = Keyboard F12.
I don't think the receivers store anything for more then a few seconds as It seems I always have to go though the paring process after a full shutdown, but that could just be ignorance on my part...
I'd assume you are using the most current firmware with your SN30? I am using v4.10
Sorry I can't be of more help, I really just flashed my receivers today and everything just worked as expected much more so then all the issues I've with Raspberry Pi (retropie) Bluetooth Pairing...

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:35 am

PsyFX wrote:FYI: I flashed the firmware on the original Red Brick 8bitdo receivers with the latest PSC Grey Brick firmware v1.22 and works like a charm with a SNES30 gamepad, as the receivers are the same device apart from the color.

I was thought that grey brick is the same as brown one. Waited for someone to test it ;)

PsyFX wrote:As far as I can tell, both combos ( L+R+Select, Down+Start) = Keyboard F12.

Right. Just small correction: it's not F12 but MENU key. But it doesn't matter for user, actually.

vanfanel wrote:So, using the 8bitdo SN30, it should be possible to do DOWN+SELECT now to enter the OSD in any core? I have tried this, and also tried mapping L+R+SELECT to OSD on the MiSTer menu (after assigning L and R to left and right mouse buttons as you suggested), with no luck.

This is only for gray brick firmware when it switched to PSC mode (not available for brown brick's firmware)
But as PsyFX said, firmware from grey brick can be used on brown brick. Of course at your own risk :)

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby PsyFX » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:00 am

Sorgelig wrote:I was thought that grey brick is the same as brown one. Waited for someone to test it ;)

This is only for gray brick firmware when it switched to PSC mode (not available for brown brick's firmware)
But as PsyFX said, firmware from grey brick can be used on brown brick. Of course at your own risk :)

Yeah, I bought a couple Brown Brick 8bitdo receivers for $12.54 US each with free shipping from Ebay when the PSC Grey Bricks were first released. I figured there was pretty decent chance that I would be able to use the grey brick firmware, it wasn't until today that Sorgelig gave me a good reason to test one (newest mister firmware supporting the "button combo"). At about half the current? cost of the PSC grey, the brown receiver is a good deal if you don't care about the color or possibly bricking your brick :wink:

warham

Postby warham » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:47 am

PsyFX wrote:
Yeah, I bought a couple Brown Brick 8bitdo receivers for $12.54 US each with free shipping from Ebay when the PSC Grey Bricks were first released. I figured there was pretty decent chance that I would be able to use the grey brick firmware, it wasn't until today that Sorgelig gave me a good reason to test one (newest mister firmware supporting the "button combo"). At about half the current? cost of the PSC grey, the brown receiver is a good deal if you don't care about the color or possibly bricking your brick :wink:

That's great Guys! I will flash one of my orange bricks to grey as well and see if good things happen :)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 am

warham wrote:That's great Guys! I will flash one of my orange bricks to grey as well and see if good things happen :)

That's great to know for those like me who own orange bricks.

One question: did anybody manage to use four of these together? I only tried two concurrently, but thinking of getting more.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 am

I have 2 brown bricks, and at least flash chips are different in each one. One is flashed in 2 seconds, another needs around 1 minute!
I confirm that grey brick firmware works fine on my brown brick.

Select + DPad Down switches to PSC mode (it seems default after firmware update).
8Bitdo Pro/PS3/PS4/XBOne in PSC mode also work fine with additional button hardwired to L+R+STart and therefore hard-mapped to MENU button.

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby zomgugoff » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 am

Thank you for doing that. It's really, really nice to have this functionality now.

I wish I'd known about the firmware compatibility with the bricks. I would have started testing this on my red brick weeks ago.

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby zomgugoff » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 am

vanfanel wrote:What combos are these exactly?

My receivers seem to be detected as PS4 pads now, according to lsusb:

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 015: ID 054c:05c4 Sony Corp. DualShock 4

Any idea on why?

The shortcuts are different for different controllers. If you check the PDF manual on their site for the brick, it will tell you what the combos are under each controller. For PS4, it just uses the PS button. Not really a combo, but that's arguably better.

warham

Postby warham » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:54 am

Sorgelig wrote:I have 2 brown bricks, and at least flash chips are different in each one. One is flashed in 2 seconds, another needs around 1 minute!
I confirm that grey brick firmware works fine on my brown brick.

Select + DPad Down switches to PSC mode (it seems default after firmware update).
8Bitdo Pro/PS3/PS4/XBOne in PSC mode also work fine with additional button hardwired to L+R+STart and therefore hard-mapped to MENU button.

In case anyone was wondering..
I loaded the grey brick firmware into orange brick just for fun because I thought I read switch pro was supported now. Also, the file size is exactly the same. This breaks functionality with switch controllers. The menu button works and some direction controls are recognized but not all.

ctarstar
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ctarstar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:04 am

Do these gamepad button combinations with PSC work on 8bitdo Retro Receivers? (Mine is wired into Mister via Micro USB) Or, only the USB Brick adapters?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:17 am

ctarstar wrote:Do these gamepad button combinations with PSC work on 8bitdo Retro Receivers? (Mine is wired into Mister via Micro USB) Or, only the USB Brick adapters?

it depends on receiver firmware. So you need to ask this question to 8bitdo.
I think it's feature only of brick receivers.

iratash
Atarian
Atarian

joystick issue on some cores

Postby iratash » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 am

HI,

I think Mister is a great project and from my short use so far it looks amazing!,

I have a few issues with the joystick setup on NES and C64 cores though. I load up the core, define joystick buttons which seems to go fine. However once I load up a game, the controller doesn't work. I've tried Genesis/SNES cores and they are fine.

I thought it might be my wireless 3 in 1 keyboard/mouse controller, however its the same even testing with a USB keyboard. I also tried deleting the config folder but its the same.

Any Ideas what might be the cause of this on these 2 cores, C64/NES?. Could it possibly be a problem writing to the microsd card, but then I wonder why SNES/Genesis works.

Thanks.

ctarstar
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ctarstar » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:24 am

So, should I be able to just normally map a single button (L or R) from my SN30 for OSD? I am only using TG/PCE and Genesis cores/consoles, so I don't need more than 3 buttons, and can give up L or R for OSD. But, when mapping in the menu core, it doesn't take/work. Other buttons seem to map OK because I can use up/down for menu navigation after mapping, but the OSD doesn't work. Reading this and other threads it seems like this should work as any other button - is that right? Am I doing something wrong?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:13 am

ctarstar wrote:So, should I be able to just normally map a single button (L or R) from my SN30 for OSD? I am only using TG/PCE and Genesis cores/consoles, so I don't need more than 3 buttons, and can give up L or R for OSD. But, when mapping in the menu core, it doesn't take/work. Other buttons seem to map OK because I can use up/down for menu navigation after mapping, but the OSD doesn't work. Reading this and other threads it seems like this should work as any other button - is that right? Am I doing something wrong?

You just need to switch 8bitdo grey/brown brick into PSC mode. No need to map OSD button - it's hard mapped.

ctarstar
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ctarstar » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:35 am

Sorgelig wrote:
ctarstar wrote:So, should I be able to just normally map a single button (L or R) from my SN30 for OSD? I am only using TG/PCE and Genesis cores/consoles, so I don't need more than 3 buttons, and can give up L or R for OSD. But, when mapping in the menu core, it doesn't take/work. Other buttons seem to map OK because I can use up/down for menu navigation after mapping, but the OSD doesn't work. Reading this and other threads it seems like this should work as any other button - is that right? Am I doing something wrong?

You just need to switch 8bitdo grey/brown brick into PSC mode. No need to map OSD button - it's hard mapped.

Sorry, I'm trying to do this with the retro receiver - I don't have the brick receiver.

aristogeiton
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby aristogeiton » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Can confirm that N30 with brick works out-of-the-box. Latency seems very low.

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby PsyFX » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:10 pm

Seems the latest update has broken compatibility with some 8bitdo controllers?
I have tested the following using both Bluetooth (brown 8bit dongle with psc firmware v1.22) and Direct USB connection.

SNES30/SFC30: skipped the tilt functions and hangs after selecting "right" with a joystick id (can't assign left)

M30: skipped the tilt functions and hangs after selecting "right" with a joystick id (can't assign left)

NES PRO/FC30 PRO: Bluetooth mode: Hangs after assigning tilt right with joystick id.
Direct USB connection: This works! I was able to make button assignments as normal.
In the case of this controller which has 2 analog sticks I assigned tilt right / down to sticks 1 /2.

I tried deleting "recent" joystick maps from the /config, with no effect.

Can any else confirm this? or offer a fix?
Last edited by PsyFX on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MiSTer”