Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:50 am

Both brown and grey bricks are supported. I recommend to read the thread before asking the questions.

jpxdude
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jpxdude » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi there,

I have a bit of an odd issue which I hope someone could help with. I have updated my MiSTer build using the updated script. I usually use a wireless Xbox 360 controller which has worked fine with SNES until now, however it is now not behaving properly.

I have mapped the controller in the menu, and again in the SNES core, but now for some reason, the D-Pad only registers ‘right’ presses in game. Up, left and down are not recognised. It works fine within menus which is the odd thing, just not in any loaded games.

Anyone know what is causing this? Thanks in advance for your help.

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:27 pm

I have the same problem with Snes type usb joypad, perhaps is caused by the last update.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Not enough info to understand.
For me it works fine.

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:19 am

Sorgelig wrote:Not enough info to understand.
For me it works fine.

I use a mayflash wii classic controller adapter with two ports and now if redefine the controler, only right direction and butrons work, thats not happen before. With my 8bitdo bluetooth work well.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:43 am

I don't have "Mayflash wii classic adapter", but i have "Mayflash Magic-NS Wireless Controller Adapter" which works fine with DualShock 3 gamepad.
I believe these adapters share common behaviour as they are from the same manufacturer.
I think, it's usual: you didn't re-define the gamepad in Menu core.

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 am

Sorgelig wrote:I don't have "Mayflash wii classic adapter", but i have "Mayflash Magic-NS Wireless Controller Adapter" which works fine with DualShock 3 gamepad.
I believe these adapters share common behaviour as they are from the same manufacturer.

Only happens after re-define the gamepad in Menu core.
I will try with a previous version of main Mister file, and report if it work well.

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:59 pm

LarsDragon wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:I don't have "Mayflash wii classic adapter", but i have "Mayflash Magic-NS Wireless Controller Adapter" which works fine with DualShock 3 gamepad.

Only happens after re-define the gamepad in Menu core.
I will try with a previous version of main Mister file, and report if it work well.

Sorry Sorgelig, It is the same issue reported in:
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34873&p=372805#p372805

Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lodovic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi,

I was a couple of weeks without updating and today I updated both the cores, Mister and the Linux part with the update script.

I see there was quite a few changes in the input support and I miss something I had before:

Before, I could use interchangeably the D-Pad and the left analog stick on almost every core and now, this doesn't work anymore on the SNES and 1942 cores, for example but it's working on the OSD menu. I've checked the Wiki but didn't find anything wrong in the way I've setup my PS4 controller connected through the 8Bitdo orange brick. I've redone the input setup in both (the cores and in the Mister OSD) and still can't get it to work with the left analog on the SNES. The Genesis core is OK, though. The 1942 core was easier with the left analog because the PS4 D-Pad is not my favorite.

Did I miss something?

*Edit*: Found a workaround: If I use the analog stick to define the controls in the core menu, both the D-Pad and analog stick are enabled in the cores I mentioned.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:27 pm

There is a change in latest release.
Before Alt/Mouse controls are used as alternative directional control in every core.
Now you can define 2 alternative controls per gamepad in every core as you like. You just need to run button definition dialog 2 times. First start of dialog - defines first set. Second start - second set. Third start will will define 1 set and so on altering between 2 sets.
If you start button definition only once then it will behave as before Alt/mouse directions will be used.

So you can define dpad in first set and analog stick as dpad in second set.

Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lodovic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:38 am

This is great! Thanks, Sorgelig.

snkplay
Atarian
Atarian

Postby snkplay » Wed May 01, 2019 12:46 am

So I've tried configuring the pad in the 'Define joystick buttons' (without a hub so hotswapping keyboard/controller) when I try to use the controller I get the 'you need to define this joystick in menu core first' message.

Edit: All issues went away when setting up the controller using a hub.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Finally got X360 wireless receiver. Tested my X360 wireless gamepad - works fine. Special tweaks aren't required.

warham
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby warham » Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 am

Sorgelig wrote:Finally got X360 wireless receiver. Tested my X360 wireless gamepad - works fine. Special tweaks aren't required.

Whatever you have been doing to make USB better is working!
Newest revision of 7 port Dlink hub is now working with 2 switch pro controllers connected to 8bitdo orange bricks., Bluetooth, wifi, keyboard.

Previously, one players buttons would start out ok and slowly stop functioning.
Flying in 2 player Joust was a little unfair :p
Controllers also keep functioning when mister is reset, where as before they would lose function upon resetting and require a power cycle.

Thanks for the wireless x360 info, in the past the right stick was not recognized.

caver99
Atariator
Atariator

Postby caver99 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:25 pm

i have a generic xbox 360 to usb adapter which i plugged into the pc and synced the controller to and moved to the mister and the xbox 360 controller works like a charm in every core and i have the xbox button set up as the magic menu button.
i haven't checked as yet if 2 controllers work for 2 player games as yet.

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:16 pm

del

Frobozzz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Frobozzz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 am

I have a 8bitdo NES30 Pro connected to Mister with a USB cable and when I go to define buttons the left button does not register. I connected via serial and the left button sends

login: Input event: type=EV_ABS, Axis=16, Offset=-1, jnum=1, ID:2dc8:9001:00, abs_min = -1, abs_max = 1
Input event: type=EV_ABS, Axis=10, Offset=255, jnum=1, ID:2dc8:9001:00, abs_min = 0, abs_max = 255
Input event: type=EV_ABS, Axis=16, Offset=0, jnum=1, ID:2dc8:9001:00, abs_min = -1, abs_max = 1
Input event: type=EV_ABS, Axis=10, Offset=0, jnum=1, ID:2dc8:9001:00, abs_min = 0, abs_max = 255

Here is the step by step
1.) go to 'define joystick buttons'
2.) I press right on controller and it accepts that and then prompts with 'stick 1: Tilt Down'
3.) I skip the tilt down and then the next "stick 2: tilt tight"
4.) Now it says 'Press: Right' and I do that and it registers
5.) Now it says 'Press: Left' and nothing happens. It just stays on Press: LEFT

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:18 am

8bitdo controllers may work in different modes. Change the mode to DInput or XInput - then it should work fine.

Frobozzz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Frobozzz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 am

Sorgelig wrote:8bitdo controllers may work in different modes. Change the mode to DInput or XInput - then it should work fine.

Thank you! I changed to Xinput (Press and hold POWER + X for 1 second to power on the controller, LEDs will blink twice per cycle) and everything seems to be working fine now.

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:29 pm

Frobozzz wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:8bitdo controllers may work in different modes. Change the mode to DInput or XInput - then it should work fine.

Thank you! I changed to Xinput (Press and hold POWER + X for 1 second to power on the controller, LEDs will blink twice per cycle) and everything seems to be working fine now.

Side note - if you have a SF30 and want the home/star buttons to work (nice for accessing the mister menu) then put the controller in Switch mode - Y + Start to power on.

Dirtbag
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Dirtbag » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:12 pm

The Blissbox 4play adaptor seems to recognise all the controllers as the same input. Is this because they have the same HID ID? Is there a configuration I'm missing to use the blissbox 4 play for 4 upto 4 unique player inputs? would this be a problem for the Blister board?

slayback
Atarian
Atarian

Cannot use 2 D-Pads (All Cores)

Postby slayback » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi all, whenever I load any core, I can only use the D-Pad on one of my controllers at a time. As soon as I remap the other controller, the D-Pad will stop working on the first. Every other button still works though! This affects all cores I've tested and ultimately means that I can't play any 2-player games.

I'm out of ideas at this point and would love some ideas. I've been planning a gaming night with my friend all week and after many hours over the last week I'm about out of time! :shrug:

Cores Tested:
Genesis
NES
SNES

USB Hub v1.2 from MiSTer Add-ons with 30W power supply (split between MiSTer and Hub)

Controllers/Receivers
8-Bitdo Retro Receiver tested on firmware 1.16, 1.24, 1.25
M30 Controller
M30 Mod Kit
SN30 Pro
SN30

Tested retro receivers in X-Input and D-Input modes
Tested controllers in X-Input and Apple Input modes
Tested controllers in all ports

THANKS!!! :cheers:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 pm

slayback wrote:Hi all, whenever I load any core, I can only use the D-Pad on one of my controllers at a time. As soon as I remap the other controller, the D-Pad will stop working on the first. Every other button still works though! This affects all cores I've tested and ultimately means that I can't play any 2-player games.

something you doing fundamentally wrong. And i have no idea what are you doing...
There is no problem to use several controllers at the same time.

All these controllers are from the same manufacturer 8bitdo and have same VID/PID on the same modes. So if all of them are using the same mode, they seen by MiSTer as the same controllers.
Try for example set SN30Pro in X-Input mode and M30 in D-Input mode. So they will have different IDs.

slayback
Atarian
Atarian

Postby slayback » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:15 pm

Sorgelig wrote:All these controllers are from the same manufacturer 8bitdo and have same VID/PID on the same modes. So if all of them are using the same mode, they seen by MiSTer as the same controllers.
Try for example set SN30Pro in X-Input mode and M30 in D-Input mode. So they will have different IDs.

Setting one receiver to X-Input and the other to D-Input resolved the issue completely. THANK YOU!!!

Maxarus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Maxarus » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Can anyone recommend a snes to usb adapter that currently works with mister. I have retro usb adapters that used to work with mister but all the buttons are not recognized anymore. I bought retroflag snes usb controllers that work fine but the d pad is just not right so i would like to go back to my original snes controllers.

Return to “MiSTer”