Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

thelatestmodel
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby thelatestmodel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Not sure if anyone has them, but for what it's worth the official Sega Saturn Fukkokuban USB controllers work perfectly and can be added to the list.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Does anyone has Mayflash USB receiver?
Does it support random generic BT gamepads, or only specific like PS3/4/XOne/Wii gamepads?

Nuclear3D
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Nuclear3D » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:02 pm

This one https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-MAGIC-NS-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B074JZPS39/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547679582&sr=1-3&keywords=mayflash+bluetooth+adapter i was wondering if someone had one of these myself seems alot like the 8bitdo receiver but not as aesthetically ugly
Last edited by Nuclear3D on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Does anyone has Mayflash USB receiver?
Does it support random generic BT gamepads, or only specific like PS3/4/XOne/Wii gamepads?

From the Q/A for the item on Amazon:

Q: Will this work with third party wireless xinput controllers?
A: No

The question is being answered by the item seller "Shop4Fun" so it probably is accurate.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 pm

Nuclear3D wrote:This one https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-MAGIC-NS-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B074JZPS39/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547679582&sr=1-3&keywords=mayflash+bluetooth+adapter i was wondering if someone had one of these myself seems alot like the 8bitdo receiver but not as aesthetically ugly

In most pictures Mayflash has rendered view, not real. If you will check the later pictures from you link, you will see real pictures. Mayflash shown there with yellowish cheap plastic. What more ugly is up to personal discretion, but as an owner of 8bitdo receiver i like its look much more. Build quality is excellent. And it's more compact. But i would trade it for ugly but supporting any generic XInput/DInput BT gamepad.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:57 pm

BBond007 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Does anyone has Mayflash USB receiver?

From the Q/A for the item on Amazon:

Q: Will this work with third party wireless xinput controllers?
A: No

The question is being answered by the item seller "Shop4Fun" so it probably is accurate.

Thanks for info!
Alas both 8bitdo and Mayflash ads are way too misleading as originaly they say you can use any gamepad. And with "any" they mean just several gamepads.

Nuclear3D
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Nuclear3D » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:29 am

Without a doubt the 8bitdo product is great and i care more about the quality of a product than the look. I took some black crepe paper tape and with that it clashes less with my de10 i just wish we had a more generic bluetooth for mister but i understand why it doesn't.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 am

Unfortunately there is no such thing as "Generic BT receiver". There are many different BT chips, so it will bring a lot of problems to find a compatible BT receivers and drivers.
And besides the driver BT needs additional software support. It also requires a pairing procedure.
All this complexity is beyond the MiSTer philosophy of easy use.

I think we have enough alternatives to generic BT:
1) USB-RF gamepads with their own receivers. For example Logitech F710. I've bought it couple weeks ago so cannot say now about battery lasting, but i'm long time (2+ years) user of Logitech K400r RF combo-keyboard and for the whole period i've changed the battery only 2 times! And i even don't use power off switch on keyboard - so it's always ready to work. If F710 gamepad will work the same then it would be wonderful!
2) Specialized USB-BT receivers (8bitdo, Mayflash) for selected A brands gamepads (PS3/PS4/XB1/Wii) which basically covers the need of 99% users, cause the quality of these gamepads is high.

So, only Chinese BT gamepads are out of scope. Not a big loss comparing to the support BT hassle.

P.S.: about the Logitech K400r - this is the best keyboard for MiSTer! It's really nice featured compact RF keyboard with touchpad. And basically you may forget about batteries as they last "forever" :) If you want this keyboard then hurry up! Logitech replaced it with newer model K400Plus which has reduced cursor up/down keys making it unsuitable for many tasks - especially if you like to play on keyboard. That's why i've bought recently second K400r and store it on shelf. That's in case if the first keyboard will break later :)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:14 am

As for generic BT: i have an idea!
Can use small MCU board like ESP-32 with integrated BT and write a special firmware making it work like 8bitdo but for any XInput/DInput gamepads.

and quick search giving this link:
https://www.instructables.com/id/ESP32- ... e-Control/

There is a problem with ESP32 - it has no native USB. So need to find the other board with both USB and BT. Thus it's definitely doable for those who interested to work on such project.

can combine Arduino Micro which has native USB and can emulate HID device with ESP32 which will receive BT and transmit to Arduino.
The size of 2 boards combined together will be around Mayflash size.

Update: this is already Arduino + ESP32: https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-mkr-wifi-1010
They doesn't advertise BLE for this board, but according to forum, the BLE is there. It's just current ESP32 FW doesn't support BLE. Arduino plans to open the sources of firmware and tool for update it. So, this is the main candidate for just adapter :)

Nuclear3D
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Nuclear3D » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:33 am

Well i hope someone can figure something out i have 3 more 8bitdo controllers so i have to buy 3 more 8bitdo receivers if i want to use them i'd much rather have the one bluetooth receiver if that is possible.

Yasri
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Yasri » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:17 pm

I am having good luck with my PS4 controller and the official usb dongle.

DualShock 4 circa 2015
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGA9X9W
Sony DUALSHOCK 4 USB Wireless Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DUALSHOCK-U ... B01KHFIO82

What is cool about this dongle is that that different OSes see the dongle as a wired controller/mic/headset with all the wireless junk being handled by the dongle internally not the OS. To bad they are close to impossible to find now days unless you want to spend like $60 or more just for the dongle. Would buy like three more if they were still going for $20 like when they came out.

This keyboard also works great
Rii i8+ 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z81U3YY

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 pm

I second the recommendation for that Logitech keyboard. I also bought a a spare one a while ago.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:03 pm

Yasri wrote:What is cool about this dongle is that that different OSes see the dongle as a wired controller/mic/headset with all the wireless junk being handled by the dongle internally not the OS. To bad they are close to impossible to find now days unless you want to spend like $60 or more just for the dongle. Would buy like three more if they were still going for $20 like when they came out.

probably good for PC gamer. MiSTer doesn't support anything except standard gamepad functions.
So, for MiSTer you can use 8bitdo receiver for PS4 gamepad. And it costs less than $20.

JamesF
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby JamesF » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:38 pm

Any 8bitdo receiver will work, including the retro receivers for NES and SNES, you don't have to use the orange one.

Nuclear3D
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Nuclear3D » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 pm

how do you use the retro receivers with mister not the orange brick or gray brick but the nes and snes and the upcoming genesis one ? i guess i could buy a blissbox or a wait for the ll board but what about in the mean time ?

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 pm

You use the microUSB-to-USB cable that came in the box.

Nuclear3D
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Nuclear3D » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm

oh i dont own one so i didn't know that was one way you could use it i just might pick one up now.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Is anyone using the 8bitdo grey USB receiver? I have an issue using the grey brick with the Atari 5200 core, I can't move Right or Down. :(

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:28 pm

NML32 wrote:Is anyone using the 8bitdo grey USB receiver? I have an issue using the grey brick with the Atari 5200 core, I can't move Right or Down. :(

is it all cores or just Atari 5200, if its all cores then I may know of a fix...

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:30 am

BBond007 wrote:
NML32 wrote:Is anyone using the 8bitdo grey USB receiver? I have an issue using the grey brick with the Atari 5200 core, I can't move Right or Down. :(

is it all cores or just Atari 5200, if its all cores then I may know of a fix...

So far I've only seen it happen with the A5200 core.

eightbitminiboss
Atarian
Atarian

Postby eightbitminiboss » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:28 am

Retroflag's SNES and Genesis 6-button controllers work fairly well. No complaints.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 am

NML32 wrote:
BBond007 wrote:

So far I've only seen it happen with the A5200 core.

It's feature. When you press the paddle button, analog input is activated (analog stick). When you press the fire button, the digital input is activated (dpad, analog stick in dpad mode).
The same implemented in Atari 2600.
Mouse button activates paddle emulation with mouse.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 am

Just received Mayflash.
The good thing: you can pair PS3 gamepad directly because it has USB socket. In 8bitdo you need PC and special app to pair it. So if you plan to use PS3 gamepad, then Mayflash is your choice!
The bad thing - the number of supported gamepads less comparing to 8bitdo simply because 8bitdo produces many its own gamepads.

Receiver itself is bigger (longer) than 8bitdo. Quality of plastic is very cheap.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:58 pm

By the way, is it only for me or i've changed something, but both my 8bitdo controllers never shutdown by timeout. So, they are always on as long as there is a link to receiver. Is there a way to make them off after some time?
I remember in instruction they write the gamepad should turn off by itself after like 10min of inactivity.

Sinclair
Atariator
Atariator

DB9 Atari adapter

Postby Sinclair » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:51 pm

I suppose it has been discussed before but, currently, what is the best option to adapt a classic atari joystick to our MiSTer?
© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Return to “MiSTer”