Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

hyperterminal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Arcade cores

Postby hyperterminal » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:33 am

twohig5 wrote:I really like the idea of using MAME roms for the arcade cores. is there any guidance on the proper versions romset it should be taken from?

In most cases it is stated in the *.mra file included in the releases folder.

example:

Code: Select all

<mameversion>0216</mameversion>

djrino
Atarian
Atarian

Postby djrino » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:18 am

tnx sqwirral it is all working following your video..

zakk4223
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby zakk4223 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:42 pm

After some late night/early morning issue filing that turned out to be dumb (sorry alanswx!) I have a suggestion:

In the MRA files, also support split romsets. Looks like it would work as another <rom ... type="split"> entry? I'm not sure how many cores it really matters for, but for the ones that use a mame clone set as their 'main' rom, it would be helpful. I see a lot of split rom files out in the wild.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:13 am

Just received the Alliance 32mb memory chip I had to pay 7 bucks for and soldered up a module.
Passes memory tests at 160Mhz and just tested the demo modes for Tiger Road and Bionic Commander
and have no sprite corruption like I did with the Winbond module.
Confirmed Winbond IC issue for me.....

Now, I see this talk of .mra files and looked at them.
Does this mean one can use a zipped MAME rom without having to run the batch files?
Some of us aren't on discord or Facebook and rely on this forum for MiSTer info....

mutmuthux
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mutmuthux » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:22 am

djmartins wrote:Now, I see this talk of .mra files and looked at them.
Does this mean one can use a zipped MAME rom without having to run the batch files?
Some of us aren't on discord or Facebook and rely on this forum for MiSTer info....

This is my understanding of it.
I dont know if merged sets work though.
I guess that would rely on the mra file knowing where to look ???

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:26 am

mutmuthux wrote:This is my understanding of it.

There is this line in the mra file:
<rom index="0" zip="uniwars.zip" md5="b270e45e9d2ca2e73b081fed66d9f3db" type="merged|nonmerged">

As for the 0.216 roms a little bird told me that archive.org might have them.....

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:07 am

djmartins wrote:
mutmuthux wrote:This is my understanding of it.

There is this line in the mra file:
<rom index="0" zip="uniwars.zip" md5="b270e45e9d2ca2e73b081fed66d9f3db" type="merged|nonmerged">

As for the 0.216 roms a little bird told me that archive.org might have them.....

Merged and non merged sets should work. If not let me know we will fix them.

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 am

We will document the mra format on the wiki. I am waiting to finish the mra files. Make sure they all work and for the updater to be updated.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:09 am

alanswx wrote:We will document the mra format on the wiki. I am waiting to finish the mra files. Make sure they all work and for the updater to be updated.

It is a nice improvement but surely a lot of work considering how many arcade cores there are now!
:cheers:

mutmuthux
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mutmuthux » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:19 am

alanswx wrote:We will document the mra format on the wiki. I am waiting to finish the mra files. Make sure they all work and for the updater to be updated.

thanks for the work and time you're pouring into MiSTer alanswx :)
much appreciated

hubertbanas
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hubertbanas » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Nice job!

One suggestion ... you should avoid white spaces in the file names, ex."Super Breakout.mra" should be "SuperBreakout.mra" or "Super_Breakout.mra"

nakedarthur
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nakedarthur » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Where do the mra and rom zips go in relation to the RBF? Tried out Joust but didn't have much luck, just get a black screen after the RBF is selected.

BitsNStuff
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby BitsNStuff » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:31 pm

nakedarthur wrote:Where do the mra and rom zips go in relation to the RBF? Tried out Joust but didn't have much luck, just get a black screen after the RBF is selected.

Have a look at this video, it should give you enough of an idea what the hell is going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yK9K17KpA

It is worth remembering that it isn't fully implemented yet so not everything will work correctly at the moment. If the arcade cores are essential to you at the moment you may be better off waiting until things settle down or you could just keep your current arcade setup too but not have them in folders with the names used in the the system.

EDIT:
Also, if you use the update scripts I don't think they incorporate the new system yet so it could put the cores in a folder that isn't relevant to the new system.

brunosilva
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby brunosilva » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi

why should we avoid spaces?
Thanks

hubertbanas wrote:

Nice job!

One suggestion ... you should avoid white spaces in the file names, ex."Super Breakout.mra" should be "SuperBreakout.mra" or "Super_Breakout.mra"

brunosilva

Postby brunosilva » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:52 pm

for now, no plans to support split.

zakk4223 wrote:After some late night/early morning issue filing that turned out to be dumb (sorry alanswx!) I have a suggestion:

In the MRA files, also support split romsets. Looks like it would work as another <rom ... type="split"> entry? I'm not sure how many cores it really matters for, but for the ones that use a mame clone set as their 'main' rom, it would be helpful. I see a lot of split rom files out in the wild.

nakedarthur
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nakedarthur » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks, that did the trick! I had switched over recently to Direct Video so all my Arcade cores were in need of update anyway :D

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:00 pm

BitsNStuff wrote:EDIT:
Also, if you use the update scripts I don't think they incorporate the new system yet so it could put the cores in a folder that isn't relevant to the new system.

Didn't the update script create the games folder which is what I think you mean by "new system"?
I hate having to rearrange my setup every few weeks....

hubertbanas
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hubertbanas » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:03 pm

brunosilva wrote:why should we avoid spaces?

Best practice. It will also make it consistent with git repo name, rbf file name, etc.

BitsNStuff
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby BitsNStuff » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:17 pm

djmartins wrote:

Didn't the update script create the games folder which is what I think you mean by "new system"?

I've not been anywahere neat it today so I'm not sure what does at the moment.
hubertbanas wrote:
brunosilva wrote:why should we avoid spaces?

Best practice. It will also make it consistent with git repo name, rbf file name, etc.

For me, one of the many advantages of the mra system is that it isn't consistent with what you are saying.
The name of the rbf files themselves can stay just as they are as they use a format that is common for files as you say. One of the many advantages of the new system is that as a user you can how have your arcade games showing with the correct names of the actual arcade games without having to alter the name of the rbf which then messes up anything to do with scripting.
Instead of GnG which is the name of the core, it will from now on show on your screen as Ghosts ‘n Goblins. DonkeyKongJunior will show as Donkey Kong Junior or Donkey Kong Jr. depending on which version of the arcade game we're talking about. MrDoNightmare becomes Mr. Do's Nightmare, etc. All that and the default file names can be left just as they are, as they've always been.

hubertbanas
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hubertbanas » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:22 pm

BitsNStuff wrote:One of the many advantages of the new system is that as a user you can how have your arcade games showing with the correct names of the actual arcade games without having to alter the name of the rbf which then messes up anything to do with scripting.

I thought you're pulling the name from the tag and not from the mra file name

Example:

Code: Select all

<misterromdescription>
   <name>Super Breakout (rev 04)</name>

brunosilva

Postby brunosilva » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:04 pm

here a doc that i'm writing (it's wip and not finished - there is still some stuff to do/think)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TlJ ... kJ1Xc/edit

also there you can see somes explanation of stuff inside mra.

I placed inside the mra the original mame name. mra filename i try to clean some stuff (like rev 04)

I also agree with spaces and so on... of course tips and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks for the feedback

brunosilva

Postby brunosilva » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:06 pm

changes are not good for users...

but most people agrees that this "new system" (old system still and will work) has nice advantages... after the changes are done, life goes on

djmartins wrote:

nakedarthur
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nakedarthur » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:44 pm

I'd like to suggest adding a field to the MRA with a hint for original monitor orientation, ie. Horizontal or Vertical. It could be useful to filter games for particular setups.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:53 am

brunosilva wrote:changes are not good for users...

The changes I really disliked was moving the roms and files to the /Games/ folder and moving Multicomp
to the utilities folder.
A folder per core and one for all the arcade cores makes the most sense.
The change to being able to use MAME roms directly I like and doesn't change file locations....
Clearly a lot of MiSTer development stuff is being talked about somewhere other than here
and I suspect on discord.
I hate discord.
Isn't this the "official" MiSTer place?

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:59 am

Speaking of updates I just went and checked all my arcade cores and found over a dozen that no longer work.
Did another update and have all the latest version of everything but a lot of the 12-18 updates broke a lot of games.
Went and got the ROM versions shown in the .mra files and added them and still doesn't work.
Black screen though the MiSTer menu still comes up:
Alibaba, Berzerk, CrushRoller, DreamShopper, Eeeek, Eyes, Gorkans, LizardWizard, MrTNT, MsPacman, PacmanClub, PacmanPlus, Pengo,
Ponpoko, SuperGlob, VanVanCar, Woodpecker.

Jin's screen is blurry and Sinistar is upside down.

Y'all even broke Berzerk!
All the retrodriven latest versions still work fine.
:x :x :x :x :x

Return to “MiSTer”