Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jca
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Arcade cores

Postby jca » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 pm

Before the apparition of the 128MB board and with Memtest from 2018/03/13 my memory board passed all test without any error. With everything up to date it goes only to 130MHz which is supposed to be enough. I will stress test it to see if errors appear and will report back.
Jean-Claude

sys40
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sys40 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 pm

Yes Jean-Claude, it"s a good idea !

silvestru
Atarian
Atarian

Postby silvestru » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:20 pm

foxp4v wrote:Solved! For the new Pacman core it must be used the manual generation through the scripts given in the wiki page, using the MAG tool result in a wrong md5sum, the problem for the "incorrect command line" was generated by my path maybe too long, moving the dir in the root of another Hard Disk made it work. Just tried and the freashly generated rom works great.

Thanks for the info I managed to run it now. But I noticed that the words "HIGH SCORE" and "CREDIT" are not there! Any fix for that?

jca
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jca » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Still at work but I just noticed that a new core correcting the SDRAM bug has been posted an hour ago.
I will try it later if the power comes back.
Jean-Claude

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:18 pm

jca wrote:If I start Mister, the Tiger core as the first one and let it sit the core loses its mind after a variable amount of time: the screen flips upside down with washed out colors (the background being mainly white) and the sound (which was not there until now) goes totally crazy.
I do not have any problem with any other core.

Tested core dates 1/21/2019 and now there are enemy sprites but they are messed up!
Oh well. :shrug:

jca
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jca » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:22 pm

You did not have sprites but now you have them messed up.
I had messed up sprites so may be I will have good sprites :lol: .
Power is back so I will be able to test later on.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:26 pm

jca wrote:You did not have sprites but now you have them messed up.
I had messed up sprites so may be I will have good sprites :lol: .
Power is back so I will be able to test later on.

Yup!
Now have sprites over the shadows of enemies but the enemies and the rocks and things dropped are all messed up.
It's progress!
Let me know if your sprites are ok!

jca
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jca » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Not much luck with the new version: a little change in the sprites but it could be due to "randomness". My test was very short as I was more interested in running Memtest for longer than the day before. No errors at 130 MHz for more than 5 hours.
I will give it a rest and test other things, in particular Minimig which I did not test in a long time.

While reviewing my Arcades cores I noticed that 2 of them disappeared from the official site: Capitol and Black Widow.

Jean-Claude

jayala
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jayala » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:47 am

jca wrote:While reviewing my Arcades cores I noticed that 2 of them disappeared from the official site: Capitol and Black Widow.

The name of the Capitol core was renamed to Pleiads.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-Pleiads_MiSTer

The Black Widow core was never an official core.
https://github.com/alanswx/Arcade-BlackWidow_MiSTer

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:56 am

jca wrote:While reviewing my Arcades cores I noticed that 2 of them disappeared from the official site: Capitol and Black Widow.

Aren't those from Alanswx?
Surely he can tell us what happened...

wwark
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wwark » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:09 am

For information : https://www.reddit.com/r/MiSTerProject/ ... _core_jin/
Capitol became Pleiads

Maybe the same for Black Widow.

alanswx
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alanswx » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:25 am

wwark wrote:For information : https://www.reddit.com/r/MiSTerProject/ ... _core_jin/
Capitol became Pleiads

Maybe the same for Black Widow.

I don’t think I put black widow on the main site yet. I am looking at that this weekend. It has a drawing bug that bothers me.

predi
Atarian
Atarian

Arcade cores on CRT via SCART?

Postby predi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi!
I'm using MiSTer on an Sony Trinitron CRT via VGA-to-Scart cable. All console and computer cores I tried (more than 10) are working fine with the CRT. For some reason, I cannot manage to run a single Arcade core on the Trinitron. I tried Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Centipede and some others. Every time I start an arcade core, the screen stays completely blank, and I'm unable to open the OSD with F12. As I tried many arcade cores and the bat. files showed success messages when building the roms, I think that I'm missing some basic thing in the MiSTer.ini, which is shown below.

[MiSTer]
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=1 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.

I also tried core specific configurations like the ones mentioned below, but with no result.
[DonkeyKong]
vsync_adjust=0
or
[dkong] (not sure about the correct core name)
vsync_adjust=0

I've gone through the whole 28 pages of this topic, but didn't find an answer. The SOC switch didn't help. Perhaps it is a very primitive noob thing I missed somehow.
Thanks in advance!
Predi

mutmuthux
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Arcade cores on CRT via SCART?

Postby mutmuthux » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 pm

predi wrote:Hi!
I'm using MiSTer on an Sony Trinitron CRT via VGA-to-Scart cable. All console and computer cores I tried (more than 10) are working fine with the CRT. For some reason, I cannot manage to run a single Arcade core on the Trinitron. I tried Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Centipede and some others. Every time I start an arcade core, the screen stays completely blank, and I'm unable to open the OSD with F12. As I tried many arcade cores and the bat. files showed success messages when building the roms, I think that I'm missing some basic thing in the MiSTer.ini, which is shown below.

[MiSTer]
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=1 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.

I also tried core specific configurations like the ones mentioned below, but with no result.
[DonkeyKong]
vsync_adjust=0
or
[dkong] (not sure about the correct core name)
vsync_adjust=0

I've gone through the whole 28 pages of this topic, but didn't find an answer. The SOC switch didn't help. Perhaps it is a very primitive noob thing I missed somehow.
Thanks in advance!
Predi

Maybe the arcade cores arent built correctly ?
Can you see one if you connect via hdmi ?

Marauder66
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Marauder66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:37 am

The core name is vertical on the left side of the core options screen.

predi
Atarian
Atarian

Postby predi » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:10 pm

mutmuthux wrote:
predi wrote:Hi!
Thanks in advance!
Predi

Maybe the arcade cores arent built correctly ?
Can you see one if you connect via hdmi ?

Just tried it via hdmi, you're right, it's the same problem: video output is cut when I start an arcade core. Didn't think of that because the building bat files (under Win10) didn't show an error message when building the roms, they all said building was successful. So it definitely IS a basic thing I'm missing :wink: Strange, will have to look into that. Thanks for your suggestion!

predi
Atarian
Atarian

Postby predi » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Marauder66 wrote:The core name is vertical on the left side of the core options screen.

Thanks, didn't know that :cheers: Doesn't solve my problem, but it's good to know.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:29 pm

predi wrote:Just tried it via hdmi, you're right, it's the same problem: video output is cut when I start an arcade core. Didn't think of that because the building bat files (under Win10) didn't show an error message when building the roms, they all said building was successful. So it definitely IS a basic thing I'm missing :wink: Strange, will have to look into that. Thanks for your suggestion!

Connect to the console and see the error messages you get when you start an arcade core:
This tells you how to connect:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... connection

That way you know what's going on when a core loads.

mutmuthux
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mutmuthux » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:14 am

predi wrote:Just tried it via hdmi, you're right, it's the same problem: video output is cut when I start an arcade core. Didn't think of that because the building bat files (under Win10) didn't show an error message when building the roms, they all said building was successful. So it definitely IS a basic thing I'm missing :wink: Strange, will have to look into that. Thanks for your suggestion!

Over on archive.org someone had some prebuilt arcade roms. Just for testing naturally ;)

predi
Atarian
Atarian

Postby predi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:14 pm

mutmuthux wrote:

Over on archive.org someone had some prebuilt arcade roms. Just for testing naturally ;)

hmm, didn't find them on archive.org, but I built some from another mame version - again, no result. Also tried putty (mentioned in the above post), but couldn't establish a connection.. think I'll leave it for now, thank you for helping!

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm

predi wrote:hmm, didn't find them on archive.org, but I built some from another mame version - again, no result. Also tried putty (mentioned in the above post), but couldn't establish a connection.. think I'll leave it for now, thank you for helping!

I think there is a link in this thread to the archive.org roms that worked for most arcade cores.
You should get the console connection going in order to see what is going wrong, it is very useful.

Gazprom
Atarian
Atarian

Tiger Road corruption

Postby Gazprom » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:08 pm

Anyone that has sprite corruption in Tiger Road, do you by any chance use a 32MB module with Winbond chip?

I have talked to Jotego and he thinks it's a sdram issue and maybe specific to Winbond ram chips.
Just trying to narrow it down.

predi
Atarian
Atarian

Postby predi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:11 pm

djmartins wrote:
predi wrote:hmm, didn't find them on archive.org, but I built some from another mame version - again, no result. Also tried putty (mentioned in the above post), but couldn't establish a connection.. think I'll leave it for now, thank you for helping!

I think there is a link in this thread to the archive.org roms that worked for most arcade cores.
You should get the console connection going in order to see what is going wrong, it is very useful.

Thanks, I found the solution! I got the serial connection working (at first, I connected the cable with the USB Blaster, not the UART side :roll: ). With the log, it was obvious that the RBFs were corrupted. Previously I downloaded them from e.g. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... r/releases with right mouse/save link -> all files were corrupted this way. The RBFs only work when downloaded from https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... 190226.rbf (i.e. one level deeper).

Thank you all for your help!

jca
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Tiger Road corruption

Postby jca » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Gazprom wrote:Anyone that has sprite corruption in Tiger Road, do you by any chance use a 32MB module with Winbond chip?

I have talked to Jotego and he thinks it's a sdram issue and maybe specific to Winbond ram chips.
Just trying to narrow it down.

Problem with the core and 32MB Winbond.
Jean-Claude

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:31 pm

Note that MrX-8B has released the Tetris core!
Working on getting that one going right now....
:cheers:

Return to “MiSTer”