Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Arcade cores

Postby slingshot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:22 pm

The sound crashes on MiST, too sometimes, even I rewrote the clocking, but still. Probably a sound board CPU issue, since the sound latch which doesn't clear itself is very simple. Interesting that Traverse USA uses the same sound board, and it didn't crash. But I didn't play the same amount with that.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 am

slingshot wrote:Probably a sound board CPU issue, since the sound latch which doesn't clear itself is very simple. Interesting that Traverse USA uses the same sound board, and it didn't crash. But I didn't play the same amount with that.

Any way you could fix it?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:39 pm

I'm not really familiar with the 6809 CPU, and I resist to learn it just for a sound board :)

Upd.: sorry, it uses a 6803 MCU, not 6809.

Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lroby74 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:51 am

djmartins wrote:I just played Moon Patrol up to section E w/o a problem.
Don't think this core has been updated since I played it a decent amount and never had a crash...
:shrug:

later I played it a while and got the sound to crash....
Never noticed it before.

@you and @Sorgelig
I've tried to uninstall and reinstall Moon Patrol again and tried one time after that, and worked..
did same thing with C64 core where a game (Gyruss.CRT) was not working fine and after uninstall / reinstall C64 core, Gyruss worked fine again..

It's strange for me this thing.. never had need of do it on Mist / Mistica devices
:shrug:

viperman3
Atarian
Atarian

Postby viperman3 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Regarding the asteroids core, does anyone else feel the shot firing sound is no the same as the original arcade. The sound should be a little higher pitched similar to asteroids deluxe.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:19 am

Lroby74 wrote:@you and @Sorgelig
I've tried to uninstall and reinstall Moon Patrol again and tried one time after that, and worked..
did same thing with C64 core where a game (Gyruss.CRT) was not working fine and after uninstall / reinstall C64 core, Gyruss worked fine again.

Uninstall?
You merely add the rbf file and rom, there is no install/uninstall routine.
Please explain what you mean and I'll give it a try too and see!

Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lroby74 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:18 pm

djmartins wrote:Uninstall?
You merely add the rbf file and rom, there is no install/uninstall routine.
Please explain what you mean and I'll give it a try too and see!

I've removed Moon Patrol RBF file from microSD card and downloaded it again from Internet.. don't touched the rom file

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:46 am

Hello to everyone, i've issue with at least two Arcades: Pacman give only a black screen and Ghosts 'n' Goblins, at the end of the play does not allow to continue or to insert more coins.

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lightwave » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 pm

foxp4v wrote:Hello to everyone, i've issue with at least two Arcades: Pacman give only a black screen and Ghosts 'n' Goblins, at the end of the play does not allow to continue or to insert more coins.

To continue in Ghosts n' Goblins, hold down the Fire button while pressing Start.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:13 pm

foxp4v wrote:Hello to everyone, i've issue with at least two Arcades: Pacman give only a black screen and Ghosts 'n' Goblins, at the end of the play does not allow to continue or to insert more coins.

Check your zip file used to make the rom, I had to mess with that to get pacman to work.
I deleted the Moon Patrol rbf and then did an update like Lroby74 and played it a while w/o a sound crash.
I don't see why it worked but it seems like it did.
Will play more later....

alanswx
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alanswx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:35 am

djmartins wrote:

Check your zip file used to make the rom, I had to mess with that to get pacman to work.
I deleted the Moon Patrol rbf and then did an update like Lroby74 and played it a while w/o a sound crash.
Will play more later....

The old (current?) PacMan rbf may be out of sync with the new rom creator that is for the currently unbuilt rbf.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:33 am

alanswx wrote:The old (current?) PacMan rbf may be out of sync with the new rom creator that is for the currently unbuilt rbf.

Could be but I did mess with it and get it working again by making a new rom so all is great!

viperman3
Atarian
Atarian

Postby viperman3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:48 am

viperman3 wrote:Regarding the asteroids core, does anyone else feel the shot firing sound is no the same as the original arcade. The sound should be a little higher pitched similar to asteroids deluxe.

Any insight into the sound of the firing shot for asteroids (Arcade-Asteroids_20190401.rbf)? The pitch is lower compared to the asteroids deluxe core. Rom was built using the .bat and .ini for checksum verification.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:45 pm

viperman3 wrote:
viperman3 wrote:Regarding the asteroids core, does anyone else feel the shot firing sound is no the same as the original arcade. The sound should be a little higher pitched similar to asteroids deluxe.

Any insight into the sound of the firing shot for asteroids (Arcade-Asteroids_20190401.rbf)? The pitch is lower compared to the asteroids deluxe core. Rom was built using the .bat and .ini for checksum verification.

I am not sure what happened with the firing sound. I did code it and it wasn’t quite right (compared to a sound file from the original.) I thought James May have fixed it when I incorporated his other sound changes.

It should not necessarily match deluxe. Deluxe has the Atari pokey sound chip. Asteroids and lunar lander had discrete electronics to make the sounds. We tried to match them.

insanewayne253
Atarian
Atarian

Postby insanewayne253 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 am

First of all ABSOLUTELY digging MiSTer. It's like my childhood in a small box. Just put mine together last week and was up and running within 20 minutes.

Couple quick things
BurgerTime: Love this game and love this core. One thing I noticed was when I get to Level 4 it tends to get a little bit sluggish, probably because there's a lot of enemies and ingredients to drop. Everything else is buttery smooth.

I'm having some trouble getting Berzerk and Frenzy to run. Got the rbf for Berzerk and trying to put together the ROM and I get this prompt
\berserk_unzip\7za' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"
I may be doing something wrong, maybe someone can walk me through what I need to do to build the rom.

Cheers and beers to you guys :)

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:50 am

insanewayne253 wrote:First of all ABSOLUTELY digging MiSTer. It's like my childhood in a small box. Just put mine together last week and was up and running within 20 minutes.

Couple quick things
BurgerTime: Love this game and love this core. One thing I noticed was when I get to Level 4 it tends to get a little bit sluggish, probably because there's a lot of enemies and ingredients to drop. Everything else is buttery smooth.

I'm having some trouble getting Berzerk and Frenzy to run. Got the rbf for Berzerk and trying to put together the ROM and I get this prompt
\berserk_unzip\7za' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"
I may be doing something wrong, maybe someone can walk me through what I need to do to build the rom.

Cheers and beers to you guys :)

Grab the 7za from another GitHub repo like burger time.

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Little update, with the previous release of the Pacman Core the rom works flawlessy, i've used the FBA one builded with MAG 0.24, i've tried to build with the manual method i've read in the wiki but i've got an "incorrect command line" error (7za, rom buildrom.ini and buildrom.bat present in the same dir)

djmartins wrote:

Will play more later....

insanewayne253
Atarian
Atarian

Postby insanewayne253 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:59 pm

Got it. Berserk and Frenzy work.

Now gotta get 1943 working. Just tells me I have missing parts in my zip files.

Slightly off topic. Surprised no one has done Lock ‘n Chase yet. I would if I knew how to program better lol

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Solved! For the new Pacman core it must be used the manual generation through the scripts given in the wiki page, using the MAG tool result in a wrong md5sum, the problem for the "incorrect command line" was generated by my path maybe too long, moving the dir in the root of another Hard Disk made it work. Just tried and the freashly generated rom works great.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:37 am

insanewayne253 wrote:I'm having some trouble getting Berzerk and Frenzy to run. Got the rbf for Berzerk and trying to put together the ROM and I get this prompt

I have played a lot of Berzerk and Frenzy on MiSTer and it works great!
You're missing the zip .exe, add it to the folder you are working with and keep in mind you can also have problems if you have a space in the folder name.

insanewayne253
Atarian
Atarian

Postby insanewayne253 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:55 am

djmartins wrote:
insanewayne253 wrote:I'm having some trouble getting Berzerk and Frenzy to run. Got the rbf for Berzerk and trying to put together the ROM and I get this prompt

I have played a lot of Berzerk and Frenzy on MiSTer and it works great!
You're missing the zip .exe, add it to the folder you are working with and keep in mind you can also have problems if you have a space in the folder name.

No doubt. I played Berzerk earlier today and was having a blast, next thing I know almost 2 hours passed lol Still need to improve my skills at Frenzy. Both rock solid cores.

On topic: A couple things I noticed while playing different cores
Centipede: Sound is a bit off; almost like aliasing; plus sometimes I get killed by invisible pieces of centipede. Still it looks pretty good, just some spit and polish and it's a solid core.
Robotron 2084: Sound is pitched up, but that's already been mentioned

I'll list a few more things as I dive in. So many classics on here. Great work all of you :)

insanewayne253
Atarian
Atarian

Postby insanewayne253 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:17 am

Having some trouble getting 1943 to run. Keep getting the MD5 error; I know I have the right zip file. Any suggestions?

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:53 pm

insanewayne253 wrote:Having some trouble getting 1943 to run. Keep getting the MD5 error; I know I have the right zip file. Any suggestions?

I got that error but did eventually get some roms made that worked....

insanewayne253
Atarian
Atarian

Postby insanewayne253 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:40 am

djmartins wrote:
insanewayne253 wrote:Having some trouble getting 1943 to run. Keep getting the MD5 error; I know I have the right zip file. Any suggestions?

I got that error but did eventually get some roms made that worked....

Which set did you end up using out of curiosity. I know the zips have changed from different MAME versions.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:14 am

insanewayne253 wrote:Which set did you end up using out of curiosity. I know the zips have changed from different MAME versions.

I actually had to look at the files names of the zip in the batch files and combine some roms to get most working.
A few versions don't but enough do for me to play the game.
One tip is if you look at the MD5 error message it shows the last few digits and the correct rom sets have the same last few digits.
I had to find the certutil.exe for Windows and add it to the folder and for some reason do this in a folder at the root of a drive, ie f:/1943.
Surely some more messing around will get all the versions working but I didn't bother.

Return to “MiSTer”