Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Arcade cores

Postby kitrinx » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:38 pm

The Arkanoid core was released by Ace yesterday: https://github.com/Ace9921/Arcade-Arkanoid_MISTer

It's not in the MiSTer repo yet, but it works well.

skywalky
Atariator
Atariator

Postby skywalky » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:19 pm

I have tried but the resolution is 10x225. Why I get that resolution?

EDIT: With forced_scandoubler=1 the resolution is very low.

ewok
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ewok » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:45 am

hubertbanas wrote:

Looking good! Thanks for porting!

Hi,

I made the 4 needed batch files for usage on a PC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alanswx
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alanswx » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm

ewok wrote:
hubertbanas wrote:

Looking good! Thanks for porting!

Hi,

I made the 4 needed batch files for usage on a PC

Thank you. I will check them into github.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Does someone have any ideas for a spinner for Arakanoid?

leejsmith
Atari User
Atari User

Postby leejsmith » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:07 am

kitrinx wrote:The Arkanoid core was released by Ace yesterday: https://github.com/Ace9921/Arcade-Arkanoid_MISTer

It's not in the MiSTer repo yet, but it works well.

I tried it on my cocktail setup with vertical CRT and the display was spot on, but as it's not setup for MiSTer the F12 or user options menu is not present. It was totally playable and a usb mouse worked to control the bat.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:22 am

I would love some testing of changes I am planning to make to many of the Arcade cores.
New Features:
    1) load alternate rom from OSD
    2) 5,6 coin keys 1,2, player 1 and player 2, and for cocktail mode: R,F,D,G,A - for the second player
    3) new scalar
    4) dip switches (galaga is missing the ship bonus dips, they are super complicated, let me know if you think it is important)

Try the cores here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QRQxuO-0ch1QsC-v0sZMz9zqv9blONZ5

SuperBreakout is in alpha, it needs some work. I need to pull the roms out of it.

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:54 am

alanswx wrote:I would love some testing of changes I am planning to make to many of the Arcade cores.
New Features:
    2) 5,6 coin keys 1,2, player 1 and player 2, and for cocktail mode: R,F,D,G,A - for the second player
    3) new scalar
    4) dip switches (galaga is missing the ship bonus dips, they are super complicated, let me know if you think it is important)

Try the cores here:

SuperBreakout is in alpha, it needs some work. I need to pull the roms out of it.

plug and play mame cab support. Awesome~!

nakedarthur
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nakedarthur » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Is there a standard romset version people are using, or is it just totally haphazard at the moment? The contents of the zips can change between versions, so just having the right file name isn't always a guarantee. The reason I ask is because I'm reworking my rombuilder/injector app to just use a built in database since 1943 totally breaks how I was doing it. This entailed going through every core released and building the list of info for each game. An entry looks like this:

Code: Select all

name=1942 (Revision B)
zip=1942.zip
ifiles=srb-03.m3+srb-04.m4+srb-05.m5+srb-06.m6+srb-06.m6+srb-07.m7+sr-01.c11+sr-02.f2+sr-10.a3+sr-11.a4+sr-08.a1+sr-09.a2+sr-12.a5+sr-13.a6+sr-12.a5+sr-13.a6+sr-14.l1+sr-16.n1+sr-15.l2+sr-17.n2+sb-1.k6+sb-2.d1+sb-3.d2+sb-4.d6+sb-5.e8+sb-6.e9+sb-7.e10+sb-0.f1+sb-8.k3+sb-9.m11
ofile=a.1942.rom

I've been using MAME .158 rom set to go through and verify the rom names and zip contents, but I've noticed a few that don't match up. One other thing to consider is some versions of a game require multiple ZIPs. For instance, if you want to play "1943: The Battle of Midway (US, Rev C)" you actually need 1943.zip and 1943u.zip in set .158 since the u.zip only contains the extra files for US version. I am going to add support for multiple zips per title, but I just want to make sure I'm using the right set before putting the time into going through the rest of the games.

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bazza12 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:44 pm

do you mean 1942? and not 1943? '1942 (Revision B)' .158 rom has all those files (i think)

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:30 pm

nakedarthur wrote:Is there a standard romset version people are using, or is it just totally haphazard at the moment? The contents of the zips can change between versions, so just having the right file name isn't always a guarantee. The reason I ask is because I'm reworking my rombuilder/injector app to just use a built in database since 1943 totally breaks how I was doing it. This entailed going through every core released and building the list of info for each game. An entry looks like this:

Code: Select all

name=1942 (Revision B)
zip=1942.zip
ifiles=srb-03.m3+srb-04.m4+srb-05.m5+srb-06.m6+srb-06.m6+srb-07.m7+sr-01.c11+sr-02.f2+sr-10.a3+sr-11.a4+sr-08.a1+sr-09.a2+sr-12.a5+sr-13.a6+sr-12.a5+sr-13.a6+sr-14.l1+sr-16.n1+sr-15.l2+sr-17.n2+sb-1.k6+sb-2.d1+sb-3.d2+sb-4.d6+sb-5.e8+sb-6.e9+sb-7.e10+sb-0.f1+sb-8.k3+sb-9.m11
ofile=a.1942.rom

I've been using MAME .158 rom set to go through and verify the rom names and zip contents, but I've noticed a few that don't match up. One other thing to consider is some versions of a game require multiple ZIPs. For instance, if you want to play "1943: The Battle of Midway (US, Rev C)" you actually need 1943.zip and 1943u.zip in set .158 since the u.zip only contains the extra files for US version. I am going to add support for multiple zips per title, but I just want to make sure I'm using the right set before putting the time into going through the rest of the games.

I think we should modify the Unix style .ini and update the bat file to use it. Bruno and I are taking a shot at it.

nakedarthur
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nakedarthur » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:46 pm

alanswx wrote:I think we should modify the Unix style .ini and update the bat file to use it. Bruno and I are taking a shot at it.

That is a step in the right direction I think. What I ended up doing is combining them all into a single master INI hosted on GIT that my app can automatically update from. It could be hosted anywhere really, I just threw it on mine for testing.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:34 pm

alanswx wrote:I would love some testing of changes I am planning to make to many of the Arcade cores.
New Features:
    3) new scalar

Try the cores here:

Donkey Kong and Galaga seemed to work okay, I couldn't get MsPacman to load any roms. Donkey Kong seemed to have a lot of trouble with vsync_adjust=2, I had to use 0 to make it work.

I think that Sorg doesn't approve of adding rom loading to the arcade cores. I was going to do this for some cores that have lots of hacks and revisions, but he felt it would be feature bloat:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... Ter/pull/1

Otherwise, these changes are very nice. Having the new scaler makes a huge difference in the quality of these cores.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 pm

kitrinx wrote:
New Features:
    3) new scalar

Try the cores here:

Donkey Kong and Galaga seemed to work okay, I couldn't get MsPacman to load any roms. Donkey Kong seemed to have a lot of trouble with vsync_adjust=2, I had to use 0 to make it work.

I think that Sorg doesn't approve of adding rom loading to the arcade cores. I was going to do this for some cores that have lots of hacks and revisions, but he felt it would be feature bloat:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... Ter/pull/1

Otherwise, these changes are very nice. Having the new scaler makes a huge difference in the quality of these cores.

I changed the format of the ms Pac-Man rom
Since it was missing the PROMs. I think Sorg wanted this change. I will check with him on rom loading.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:32 am

Help me please!

I've been trying and I just can't generate the roms for...
Asteroids Deluxe
Galaxian
Ms.Pacman
Pengo

Error message is...
Incorrect command line

Thanks!

mutmuthux
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mutmuthux » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:47 am

nathanhardie wrote:Error message is...
Incorrect command line

Thanks!

See this thread
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34666

make sure you dont have any spaces in the names of any of the folders in the directory

hyperterminal

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:43 am

Thank you alanswx for improving the existing Arcade cores. I like the option to change dip switch settings and load different roms from a menue instead of injecting them.

Do you think you can also fix a bug in the current Donkey Kong core where Mario's feet have the wrong colour? They should have the same dark blue colour as his arms.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:45 am

kitrinx wrote: MsPacman to load any roms.

I think I fixed and pushed a new windows.bat file for Ms PacMan - I had only updated the unix version.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:48 am

hyperterminal wrote:Do you think you can also fix a bug in the current Donkey Kong core where Mario's feet have the wrong colour? They should have the same dark blue colour as his arms.

I see a problem in the little Mario's at the top? Is that what you are referring to? The big sprite on the bottom seems fine? BTW - sometimes MAME is wrong.

hyperterminal

Postby hyperterminal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:29 am

alanswx wrote:
hyperterminal wrote:Do you think you can also fix a bug in the current Donkey Kong core where Mario's feet have the wrong colour? They should have the same dark blue colour as his arms.

I see a problem in the little Mario's at the top?

Yes, I was referring to the little Marios at the top. I am very sure that the colour of their feet is wrong. During longer periods of play the colour even changes from skin colour (colour of Mario's head) to light blue or vice versa.

knc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby knc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Just tried to build the Ms.Pacman rom using the bat file from a day ago and i get a MD5 of 6C75DA1E5C32807FDFF6EEB9F5A75AE3
which seems to be correct from looking at what the build_rom.ini is looking for but the gfx are corrupt on the menu and in game

anyone else have this problem ?

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:35 am

knc wrote:Just tried to build the Ms.Pacman rom using the bat file from a day ago and i get a MD5 of 6C75DA1E5C32807FDFF6EEB9F5A75AE3
which seems to be correct from looking at what the build_rom.ini is looking for but the gfx are corrupt on the menu and in game

Sorry. The core is out of sync with the rom. We need to rebuild the core.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 am

alanswx wrote:
knc wrote:Just tried to build the Ms.Pacman rom using the bat file from a day ago and i get a MD5 of 6C75DA1E5C32807FDFF6EEB9F5A75AE3

Sorry. The core is out of sync with the rom. We need to rebuild the core.

This core uses the new rom. It should have dip switches, mame keys, and working cocktail mode. Please let me know if there are bugs so I can fix them.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

knc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby knc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am

alanswx wrote:This core uses the new rom. It should have dip switches, mame keys, and working cocktail mode. Please let me know if there are bugs so I can fix them.

Thanks!

Thanks this seems to be working great now

knc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby knc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 am

Maybe i missed something and had a quick read and not seen anything
now a few of the arcade core have the possibility to load different roms
is there a way to have the roms in a folder where you launch the core from instead of the root of fat
ie my arcade cores are in _Arcade if the rbf and rom is in the same folder it will load the rom like normal
if i put the roms in a folder say A.MSPCMN on the root of the fat and name one boot.rom the core and rom loads fine and when i goto load a diff rom it automatically looks in that folder if the folder is in the _Arcade folder where the rbf is it still open root so need to search for the roms

hope that makes sense lol

Return to “MiSTer”