https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Arcade cores

Postby djmartins » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
djmartins wrote:I did notice that the Victory core is upside down.

On HDMI it's correct.
On VGA some games are 90deg some 270deg. This is normal.

I only use HDMI and on mine it is upside down on the last release (20200112), did an update to the
20200114 release and it is correct now!

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:57 pm

zakk4223 wrote:A little holiday project:

https://github.com/zakk4223/Mister-MRA

Repo contains: MRA files for all arcade cores, including all clones as per mame 0.216

Also included: various hacks from HBMame 0.217. Hacks are a work in progress; not all have been tested so many may be broken and need tweaking.

Non-hack MRA files contain entries for merged, nonmerged and split romsets. Hacks only have entries for merged.

I am kind of a loss on this new .mra structure. I looked at the Youtube video and have my structures set as

/Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*.rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

I downloaded the .mra files and put it in /arcade but when I tried to run any cores it kicks me back to the main menu where I have Arcade / Console / Computers / Utility.

Can someone shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks in advance.

jca
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jca » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 pm

kublai wrote:I am kind of a loss on this new .mra structure. I looked at the Youtube video and have my structures set as

/Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*.rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

I downloaded the .mra files and put it in /arcade but when I tried to run any cores it kicks me back to the main menu where I have Arcade / Console / Computers / Utility.

Thanks in advance.

If you are setting up for the official MISTer arcades:
Make sure you are using the latest Mister and Menu.
Place all the mra in _Arcade (which you did)
Place all the rbf in _Arcade/cores
Place all the zip in _Arcade/mame
It should work

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 pm

jca wrote:
kublai wrote:I am kind of a loss on this new .mra structure. I looked at the Youtube video and have my structures set as

/Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*.rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

Thanks in advance.

If you are setting up for the official MISTer arcades:
Make sure you are using the latest Mister and Menu.
Place all the mra in _Arcade (which you did)
Place all the rbf in _Arcade/cores
Place all the zip in _Arcade/mame
It should work

I did exactly like above strcutures and now I'm getting black screen instead of kicking me back to the main menu. Some games when loading say I'm missing some file but those same cores ran perfectly when I had it in the old file structure. I ran the build_mamerom script as well to verify that my ROMS are good. My Mister is from 1/13/2020 and Menu is 1/15/2020. I ran the updater script as well to make sure everything is up to date.

jca
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jca » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:56 pm

kublai wrote:I did exactly like above strcutures and now I'm getting black screen instead of kicking me back to the main menu. Some games when loading say I'm missing some file but those same cores ran perfectly when I had it in the old file structure. I ran the build_mamerom script as well to verify that my ROMS are good. My Mister is from 1/13/2020 and Menu is 1/15/2020. I ran the updater script as well to make sure everything is up to date.

This is odd a MISTery, your version of Mister and Menu are OK, I guess the updater does its job (on my side I did everything manually).
In such case it is recommended to use the console to see what is happening. So far I never had the need to use it and thus do not know much about it. May be someone can guide you about it.

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:17 pm

jca wrote:
kublai wrote:I did exactly like above strcutures and now I'm getting black screen instead of kicking me back to the main menu. Some games when loading say I'm missing some file but those same cores ran perfectly when I had it in the old file structure. I ran the build_mamerom script as well to verify that my ROMS are good. My Mister is from 1/13/2020 and Menu is 1/15/2020. I ran the updater script as well to make sure everything is up to date.

This is odd a MISTery, your version of Mister and Menu are OK, I guess the updater does its job (on my side I did everything manually).
In such case it is recommended to use the console to see what is happening. So far I never had the need to use it and thus do not know much about it. May be someone can guide you about it.

I believe sometimes the error message disappears before the video works on the core.

If you ssh into your mister

Code: Select all

ps ax | grep MiSTer
kill <pid from the ps command>
/media/fat/MiSTer

And you should get a lot of debug output.

Or hook up the usb cable and run a serial terminal to see the output.

Alan

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:18 pm

jca wrote:

My Consoles still work but none of my Arcade work with new folder structure. Thanks for your input. Hopefully a light bulb will come on for me.

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 pm

alanswx wrote:
jca wrote:

I believe sometimes the error message disappears before the video works on the core.

ps ax | grep MiSTer
/media/fat/MiSTer

Alan

Some of the cores say I'm missing a certain file, and some say missing rbf file. I don't have ssh setup on my Mister as I put the MicroSD card into my PC and modify the files. I should be able to see the contents of the mister file?

I tried editing the Mister file from my PC and it's all garbled.

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:36 pm

alanswx wrote:
jca wrote:

ps ax | grep MiSTer
/media/fat/MiSTer

Alan

I ssh to my Mister and there are alot of output. Is there something in particular I need to look at?

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 pm

kublai wrote:
alanswx wrote:
jca wrote:This is odd a MISTery, your version of Mister and Menu are OK, I guess the updater does its job (on my side I did everything manually).

ps ax | grep MiSTer
/media/fat/MiSTer

Alan

I ssh to my Mister and there are alot of output. Is there something in particular I need to look at?

When you run the mra file from the menu look for missing rbf or file not found on the rom zip.

MJY71
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MJY71 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 pm

kublai wrote:
zakk4223 wrote:A little holiday project:

I looked at the Youtube video and have my structures set as

/Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*.rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

Thanks in advance.

As jca stated, *.mra files need to be in /_Arcade, not /Arcade, as your post describes. That is a fairly important distinction. A folder with an underscore in front of the name (or a subfolder with an underscore within that folder) will show up on the MiSTer main menu. A folder without it will not show up. That is why the ./cores, ./mame, and ./hbmame subfolders do not have underscores. You do not need to see those in the main menu. In order to be able to select an *.mra file, you need to be able to see them. If your *.mra files are in /Arcade, I do not know how you are able to select them.

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:08 pm

alanswx wrote:
kublai wrote:
alanswx wrote:

ps ax | grep MiSTer
/media/fat/MiSTer

Alan

When you run the mra file from the menu look for missing rbf or file not found on the rom zip.

Missing file sb-9.mll for 1942. I confirm that I have 1942.zip
Below is output.
INFO: Video resolution: 256 x 224, fHorz = 15.6KHz, fVert = 59.6Hz, fPix = 6.00MHz
INFO: Frame time (100MHz counter): VGA = 1676799, HDMI = 1676798
FileOpenEx(open) File:/media/fat/config/A.1942_gamma.cfg, error: No such file or directory.
FileOpenEx(open) File:/media/fat/config/A.1942_scaler.cfg, error: No such file or directory.
Send HDMI parameters:
video: 1920(1920), 88(88), 44(44), 148(148), 1080(1080), 4(4), 5(5), 36(36), Calculate PLL for 147.6027 MHz:
Fvco=442.807993, C=3, M=8, K=0.856160(3677178606) -> Fpix=147.602664

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 pm

kublai wrote:
alanswx wrote:
kublai wrote:I ssh to my Mister and there are alot of output. Is there something in particular I need to look at?

Below is output.
INFO: Video resolution: 256 x 224, fHorz = 15.6KHz, fVert = 59.6Hz, fPix = 6.00MHz
FileOpenEx(open) File:/media/fat/config/A.1942_gamma.cfg, error: No such file or directory.
FileOpenEx(open) File:/media/fat/config/A.1942_scaler.cfg, error: No such file or directory.
Send HDMI parameters:
video: 1920(1920), 88(88), 44(44), 148(148), 1080(1080), 4(4), 5(5), 36(36), Calculate PLL for 147.6027 MHz:

I think 1942 is a jtego core. Not sure how to set it up. Ask Bruno.

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:15 pm

alanswx wrote:
kublai wrote:
alanswx wrote:

Below is output.
Send HDMI parameters:

I either get a black screen and does nothing or says missing rbf file and does nothing on Arcade cores I have tried. The same cores I tried with old file structure worked without any problems.

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 pm

kublai wrote:
alanswx wrote:
kublai wrote:
Below is output.
Send HDMI parameters:

I either get a black screen and does nothing or says missing rbf file and does nothing on Arcade cores I have tried. The same cores I tried with old file structure worked without any problems.

Make sure you have the latest mister binary
Inside your _arcade folder that has the mra files make sure you have :
cores : rbf files in here
mame : mame zip files

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 pm

alanswx wrote:
kublai wrote:
alanswx wrote:

/Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*.rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

Shouldn’t the first arcade be _Arcade ?

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm

alanswx wrote:
alanswx wrote:
kublai wrote:I either get a black screen and does nothing or says missing rbf file and does nothing on Arcade cores I have tried. The same cores I tried with old file structure worked without any problems.

/Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*.rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

Shouldn’t the first arcade be _Arcade ?

I do have everything under /_Arcade, in the beginning I had .mra under Arcade when I watched that Youtube video.
I downloaded MiSTer_20200113, and renamed it to Mister and copied it to the root of my MicroSD. My menu.rbf is dated 1/15/2020

Edit:
I did and update from outside of the scripts dir and it downloaded the cores so now in my _Arcade menu I have both a core that has a date and core that does NOt have a date so I assume the core that doe NOt have a date is .mra and core that has a date is .rbf. The core that has a date next to it loaded just fine. I go back and loaded teh same core without the date and I get some missing file and screen is all black.

jca
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jca » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:20 pm

kublai wrote:I do have everything under /_Arcade, in the beginning I had .mra under Arcade when I watched that Youtube video.
I downloaded MiSTer_20200113, and renamed it to Mister and copied it to the root of my MicroSD. My menu.rbf is dated 1/15/2020

Edit:
I did and update from outside of the scripts dir and it downloaded the cores so now in my _Arcade menu I have both a core that has a date and core that does NOt have a date so I assume the core that doe NOt have a date is .mra and core that has a date is .rbf. The core that has a date next to it loaded just fine. I go back and loaded teh same core without the date and I get some missing file and screen is all black.

Glad to see you are making some progress.
It looks like you have both mra files and rbf files in _Arcade.
You should only have mra files in _Arcade and rbf files in _Arcade/cores.
You also should have only one core per arcade, recently I had both Arcade-Pacman_20200114.rbf and Arcade-Pacman_20200114a.rbf in _Arcade/cores; it did not work because I had the mra files corresponding to Arcade-Pacman_20200114a.rbf and MISTer seems to pickup the first core only. Make sure you have only the latest cores in _Arcade/cores and the most recent mra files in _Arcade.
For example I downloaded the new Arcade-Pacman_20200116.rbf in _Arcade/cores and deleted Arcade-Pacman_20200114a.rbf from the same diectory.
For the mra cores I looked on the right side of the releases screen showing when the mra files were updated, all of them were 2 or 3 days old except one "Jump Shot.mra" which was posted at the same time as the rbf so I knew this was the only mra I had to update.

ewok
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ewok » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 pm

Guys,

Just use this:

https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerMAME

Edit the ini and all is done for you. Backup your current directories and files and delete them. Perform a fresh install via the script.

Next time read older messages :?

kublai
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby kublai » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Well everyone. I reformatted my SDCard and started from scratch. Updated everything per the wiki and now my .mra files are working. Thanks everyone so much for your help.

jca
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jca » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:47 pm

:cheers:

MrSunshine
Retro freak
Retro freak

A Couple of (probably dumb) questions

Postby MrSunshine » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 am

OK. I have *almost* everything working as expected, but there are a couple of things that are just head scratchers for me.

Question #1: 1942 and 1943 -- I have roms for them and there are cores for them, but for some reason the updater isn't creating .mra files, so I can't use them?

Question #1a: Probably related to question #1. There are several cores that seem to have a "dated" core and .mra sitting together in the _Arcade directory (whereas MOST of the arcade cores are sitting in a cores directory). I have the feeling this is because I screwed something up. Anyone know what it is?

Question #2: I was under the impression that several of the arcade cores had a setting that allowed controllers to be set into a more "four-way joystick" like configuration, so that they responded better in games like Pac Man and Burgertime. I can't for the life of me figure out where this option is. Can someone explain to me how I'm an idiot?

Question #3: I have been running the main updater script (edited so it gets .mra files) and RetroDriven's MAME updater. Are there any other scripts that could help make the process more "me"-proof?

Thanks!

trashuncle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby trashuncle » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:30 am

Thank goodness for the community and life saving scripts :D

catenaccio
Atari User
Atari User

Postby catenaccio » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:17 am

ewok wrote:Guys,

Just use this:

https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerMAME

Edit the ini and all is done for you. Backup your current directories and files and delete them. Perform a fresh install via the script.

Next time read older messages :?

But Retrodriven does not include all available arcade cores, right? Or I am missing something....

trashuncle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby trashuncle » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:35 am

Retrodriven does not provide the RBF/core files, but the unofficial MRAs and proper roms.

The MiSTer update script, when configured properly, will update the cores you need. If you want any of the unofficial RBFs, they should be somewhat easy to find if you are already familiar with Retrodriven's github (refer to the stars page).

Jotego also has an update script available, I believe.

Return to “MiSTer”