Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Arcade cores

Postby sqwirral » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:22 pm

djmartins wrote:The changes I really disliked was moving the roms and files to the /Games/ folder and moving Multicomp
to the utilities folder.

MultiComp is still in _Computer/ for me, I ran the update script on a new sd card last night.
I think you can still have your games outside of that games folder, here's a quote I got elsewhere:
"Cores look for files in the following order:
1. SD root /core/
2. USB drives
3. CIFs (network)
4. /games/core/ on the SD card."

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:49 pm

sqwirral wrote:"Cores look for files in the following order:
1. SD root /core/
2. USB drives
3. CIFs (network)

Yes, but the ones that have a choice to load a rom look in a folder on /games/core/ as do other cores looking for images to load.
Try a few and see that it creates a folder in /games/ that you have to navigate out of to get to the original folder.
This means a lot more menu navigation or you have to move the files into the /games/ folder.
It doesn't make sense to me and the original folder layout worked fine and was more logical.
Are those arcade cores I mention working for you after the update? HDMI video?

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sqwirral » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:19 pm

djmartins wrote:
sqwirral wrote:"Cores look for files in the following order:
1. SD root /core/
2. USB drives
3. CIFs (network)

Yes, but the ones that have a choice to load a rom look in a folder on /games/core/ as do other cores looking for images to load.
Try a few and see that it creates a folder in /games/ that you have to navigate out of to get to the original folder.
This means a lot more menu navigation or you have to move the files into the /games/ folder.
It doesn't make sense to me and the original folder layout worked fine and was more logical.
Are those arcade cores I mention working for you after the update? HDMI video?

Ok I just tested like this; moved Genesis folder out of /games/ and placed it in the sd card root. I loaded up the Genesis core and the Load *.BIN etc menu shows me the contents of that Genesis folder immediately, I didn't have to navigate out. And it has not created a new /games/Genesis/ folder automatically.
(Sorry I just realised this is off topic!)

silvestru
Atarian
Atarian

HDMI video scaler!

Postby silvestru » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:44 pm

Hi,
I am new to this wonderful project. So far I managed to run a few arcade cores, which is what pulled me to the MiSTer project. I used MAME and it is fine but reading all the things that MiSTer does, replicating the actual hardware, I was driven to it.

But I noticed that some cores are not scaled properly on the screen. example; Pacman is one third of the screen width while Ms. Pacman is two thirds of the screen width.

Also noticed that Pacman has lost the word "HIGH SCORE" and "CREDIT". It only shows the hi-score value and the credit amount.

Is there a way that I may or can do to fix the image issue?

As for the hi score and credit words I don't think I would be able to fix, without a lot of help.

Anyways I thank you all great people who are ready to share your knowledge with others including people like me.

Thanks again.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:59 am

With the new changes of roms going in the Games folder, is the official way to have arcade games to have root folders like "a.1942", "a.1943" etc. or are these moved or even needed anymore? I am learning about the "RetroDriven" folder from a script.

brunosilva
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby brunosilva » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:45 pm

djmartins... probably old roms...
i tested 98% of the cores with the mra and i only have problems in sinistar that's upside down

brunosilva

Postby brunosilva » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:46 pm

seastalker wrote:With the new changes of roms going in the Games folder, is the official way to have arcade games to have root folders like "a.1942", "a.1943" etc. or are these moved or even needed anymore? I am learning about the "RetroDriven" folder from a script.

no need for folders like that... only need zips inside /arcade/mame or /arcade/hbmame

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:07 am

brunosilva wrote:djmartins... probably old roms...
i tested 98% of the cores with the mra and i only have problems in sinistar that's upside down

I checked all the roms and even replaced some with 0.216 roms as the mra file wanted though every core worked
before the recent updates.
Messing with it again now.

trashuncle
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby trashuncle » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:02 am

djmartins wrote:Black screen though the MiSTer menu still comes up:
Alibaba, Berzerk, CrushRoller, DreamShopper, Eeeek, Eyes, Gorkans, LizardWizard, MrTNT, MsPacman, PacmanClub, PacmanPlus, Pengo,
Ponpoko, SuperGlob, VanVanCar, Woodpecker.

Same. :( Has this been solved?

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:39 am

trashuncle wrote:
Alibaba, Berzerk, CrushRoller, DreamShopper, Eeeek, Eyes, Gorkans, LizardWizard, MrTNT, MsPacman, PacmanClub, PacmanPlus, Pengo,

Try rebuilding the roms or using the mra for these. I moved the clut from being hardcoded into the romfile.

tcdev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tcdev » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:46 pm

trashuncle wrote:

I haven't tried all these cores but at least of a few of them mentioned do work for me. I've been downloading the latest binaries and mra's (not rebuilding) and using merged roms (zipped) from v0209 in /arcade/mame...

On a related note; I don't have any date information for arcade cores (shows __.__.__). Is this a known issue, or do I need to update something?

brunosilva

Postby brunosilva » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:02 am

"On a related note; I don't have any date information for arcade cores (shows __.__.__)."

this is because the mra doesnt have timestamp in filename :)

JBeau
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby JBeau » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:45 am

You can add something like '_20191226' to the filename yourself.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:45 am

--.--.-- will be removed in next release

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:53 am

There is a nice explanation somewhere regarding the mra files?
I'm not really looking through it right now.

thx for help

zakk4223
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby zakk4223 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:16 am

A little holiday project:

https://github.com/zakk4223/Mister-MRA

Repo contains: MRA files for all arcade cores, including all clones as per mame 0.216

Also included: various hacks from HBMame 0.217. Hacks are a work in progress; not all have been tested so many may be broken and need tweaking.

Non-hack MRA files contain entries for merged, nonmerged and split romsets. Hacks only have entries for merged.

ewok
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ewok » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:22 am

zakk4223 wrote:A little holiday project:

https://github.com/zakk4223/Mister-MRA

Repo contains: MRA files for all arcade cores, including all clones as per mame 0.216

Also included: various hacks from HBMame 0.217. Hacks are a work in progress; not all have been tested so many may be broken and need tweaking.

Non-hack MRA files contain entries for merged, nonmerged and split romsets. Hacks only have entries for merged.

I love you big time! :cheers:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:27 pm

zakk4223 wrote:https://github.com/zakk4223/Mister-MRA

impossible to clone locally on Windows because of forbidden chars in names like '?', ':'

tcdev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tcdev » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:56 am

brunosilva wrote:"On a related note; I don't have any date information for arcade cores (shows __.__.__)."

this is because the mra doesnt have timestamp in filename :)

Ah, thanks!

tcdev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tcdev » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:01 am

JBeau wrote:You can add something like '_20191226' to the filename yourself.

It shouldn't really be picking up the date (aka version) from the MRA. The version is linked to the RBF you've installed, so should be picked up from there. Would be much nicer if it could be extracted from the rbf itself, rather than the filename...

I'm assuming the ARM core reads the RBF from the media and programs the FPGA (haven't looked at it yet)... in theory you could add a header to it that gets ignored/stripped off by the ARM code. Of course adds one more step of complexity to the build process.

zakk4223
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby zakk4223 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:02 am

tcdev wrote:
JBeau wrote:You can add something like '_20191226' to the filename yourself.

It shouldn't really be picking up the date (aka version) from the MRA. The version is linked to the RBF you've installed, so should be picked up from there. Would be much nicer if it could be extracted from the rbf itself, rather than the filename...

I'm assuming the ARM core reads the RBF from the media and programs the FPGA (haven't looked at it yet)... in theory you could add a header to it that gets ignored/stripped off by the ARM code. Of course adds one more step of complexity to the build process.

That would mean every directory listing involves N file open+read+parse operations. That has an impact on both perceived responsiveness and code complexity.

tcdev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tcdev » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:02 am

zakk4223 wrote:That would mean every directory listing involves N file open+read+parse operations. That has an impact on both perceived responsiveness and code complexity.

Yes, it does unfortunately. Encoding information (such as version) in a filename is troublesome at best, though I appreciate the ramifications here.

Maybe next best step is to standardise on an "about" screen such as a few of the arcade cores have already, with mandatory version information in a templated format... anyway... way down on the list of priorities at this stage of the project I suspect...

hyperterminal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby hyperterminal » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:05 pm

I just updated the arcade cores to the latest version and fount out that the load rom option is no longer present in the core's menu (for example in the Crazy Kong core). Luckily my roms still autoboot from the /bootrom/ folder, even without an *.mra file.

Do I always have to create custom *.mra files whenever I want to try out alternate romsets of arcade games or is the old way of loading rom files still supported and I'm just doing something wrong?

I would really appreciate if the old way of loading rom files could be kept as an alternate way for quick testing if an alternate romset is working. Besides, the joined rom files have advantages over the MAME archives. Once a joined rom file has been created, it will last forever. The same cannot be said for the MAME archives where the naming conventions for the single rom files change from release to release. If this trend continues, keeping the *.mra files up to date is a nightmare.

zakk4223
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby zakk4223 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm

Sorgelig wrote:

impossible to clone locally on Windows because of forbidden chars in names like '?', ':'

Fixed. Repo cloned successfully on windows via command line git client.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:56 pm

zakk4223 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:

Fixed. Repo cloned successfully on windows via command line git client.

Thanks. Great job!

Return to “MiSTer”