https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

HDMI problems

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 am

This is an old bug, but i don't remember if i've mentioned this:

If MiSTer is powered BOFORE TV/Monitor, then most likely you won't get the video output on HDMI. Even pressing reset won't make the video working.
The only way to get a video output is to power off the MiSTer and then power on again.

Power and connect the TV/Monitor before powering the MiSTer.

Probably it's because of config i send to HDMI chip. I hope i will fix it later.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: HDMI problems

Postby Newsdee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:43 am

Ah I experienced this but didn't realize the cause. Good to know!

Locutus73
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Locutus73 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi,
I’m having HDMI issues that I think are related to this problem. I admit my HDMI setup is a worst-case scenario, but, let’s be positive: worst-case scenarios are debugging goldmines.

Now, I have a very long HDMI chain:

Code: Select all

┌->HDBaseT TX->HDBaseT RX->TV
DE10-Nano->3 to 1 HDMI switch->4 to 2 HDMI matrix->|
                                                   └->HDBaseT TX->HDBaseT RX->DVDO iScan Mini->Projector

This may seem cumbersome, but, with the help of some macros on my One for All remotes, I get a working and friendly user experience in two different rooms. All my gaming (PC/Consoles) and video (AppleTV, Roku, ecc.) gear is connected to the 3to1 switch or to the 4to2 matrix. The only gripe is a long HDMI handshaking (various seconds) time, but I get this inconvenience only when I change video source or when some source changes resolution/framerate. Now, I never experienced incompatibilities with this setup, and even the DE10-Nano works correctly using Terasic’s Xfce and LXDE Linuxes (I get no video output with their linux console SD image, but I think it works only with USB console and SSH).
Yesterday I tried MiSTer for the first time and, no matter what, I don’t get any video output on my setup; I mean my displays shows "no video" warning. MiSTer works perfectly If I connect directly the DE10-Nano to the projector or to an HDMI capture card. I had not time to make a differential diagnosis in order to identify the device (or combination of devices) that is incompatible with MiSTer. I was only able to test the Terasic’s Linuxes (with success) and to see that MiSTer produces the same serial output when it successfully outputs video and when it doesn’t.

Now, is there anything I can do in order to help? I’m willing to do any debug/test.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 pm

HDMI chip likes to go to sleep mode under different circumstances.
Fortunately, i've able to disable the sleep mode completely and new core releases will include this fix.

Since i'm in process of API update which will need to be integrated into every core, i need to finish the new API first. I'm waiting for pcb for pi-top integration to finish my tests. It will take at least one more week before i finalize updated API.

You can test new HDMI output on this Menu release:
menu.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Sorgelig wrote:HDMI chip likes to go to sleep mode under different circumstances.
Fortunately, i've able to disable the sleep mode completely and new core releases will include this fix.

Since i'm in process of API update which will need to be integrated into every core, i need to finish the new API first. I'm waiting for pcb for pi-top integration to finish my tests. It will take at least one more week before i finalize updated API.

You can test new HDMI output on this Menu release: menu.zip

Great! This evening I'll repeat the tests.

You're a powerhouse as usual.
I have 2 or 3 hypotheses about you:
1) You don't need money: you're rich and don't need a paid job, so you can work fulltime to MiSTer
2) You don't need sleep: you can have a paid job during daytime and you can work to MiSTer during night
3) You don't need time: you have access to some time slowing technology you don't want to share with the rest of the world
:lol:

Thank you as usual
Locutus73

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 pm

Sorgelig wrote:You can test new HDMI output on this Menu release:
menu.zip

It works!!! :cheers:
You’re the man!
Surprisingly, after getting video output from the updated Boot Menu core, I can load FpgaGen_20170712 with no problems.

[EDIT]
P.S.: can you please add support for .md (not .smd) extension to FpgaGen? It’s the same rom binary dump format than .gen with a different extension in order to specify a Mega Drive dump (i.e. you can rename .md files to .gen and load them successfully in FpgaGen).

Thank you
Locutus73

Return to “MiSTer”