MiSTer Logo Design

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: MiSTer Logo Design

Postby jemismyname » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:14 am

gradients and colors that you would never learn from color theory class are the best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jemismyname » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:16 am

these are basically all the dafont suggestions that someone posted earlier, but 3D and correctly colored :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Threepwood
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Threepwood » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:11 pm

After looking over my earlier posts I think I like this one best after I removed the three LEDs again. Any thoughts, direction, preference or anything? (open the link in a new tab or download the file to see it properly)

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bazza12 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 pm

mister.jpg

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:16 am

bazza12 wrote:mister.jpg

Mi is part of "Minimig" name. You've converted it to Atari log. You've hurt many Amiga users :mrgreen:

Threepwood
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Threepwood » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:01 am

Is this thread here just for fun for people to mess around with non-serious logo designs or is there a real intention to find an official logo?

So far there was no feedback, no direction or any progress. We are all just posting past each other.

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bazza12 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:14 am

Sorgelig wrote:Mi is part of "Minimig" name. You've converted it to Atari log. You've hurt many Amiga users :mrgreen:

awww sorgelig... :( I love amiga and atari.. (but amiga moreso :D )

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:12 am

Threepwood wrote:Is this thread here just for fun for people to mess around with non-serious logo designs or is there a real intention to find an official logo?
So far there was no feedback, no direction or any progress. We are all just posting past each other.

I don't want to comment each logo as it's matter of taste. If i will guide to much then we will come to the same log as current one.
While having a nice logo is good idea, it's not the priority task. I still look through all posted logos.

In general:
1) I think logo must be sketched, black and white only. So it can be used anywhere without modifications. For example on PCB where you can't use colours.
2) It should be simple so it can be easily scaled to different sizes. Complex logo will look like dirty spot when scaled down.

Basically i like the current MiSTer logo i'm using on PCB, but still open for a better one.

Threepwood
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Threepwood » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:52 am

Sorgelig wrote:I don't want to comment each logo as it's matter of taste. If i will guide to much then we will come to the same log as current one.
While having a nice logo is good idea, it's not the priority task. I still look through all posted logos.

In general:
1) I think logo must be sketched, black and white only. So it can be used anywhere without modifications. For example on PCB where you can't use colours.
2) It should be simple so it can be easily scaled to different sizes. Complex logo will look like dirty spot when scaled down.

Basically i like the current MiSTer logo i'm using on PCB, but still open for a better one.

That's fine, I mean you never asked for this and nobody can demand feeback or attention from you, hence my question for clarification.

Would you want a new logo, then you would now need to pick your favorites and give us minimum dimensions so we can work on from there.

I think the logo does not need to be black and white per se, there only needs to be a black and white variant available (see the Raspberry Pi Logo).

But anyway, it is a just for fun thread and I had my fun. Thanks for clarifying!

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jemismyname » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:26 pm

since everyone pretty much prints or buys their own custom cases, i reckon we can just choose our own custom logo, too. just print a sticker with your favorite.

Glaurung
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Glaurung » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:44 pm

grobda wrote:Image

I like it

simple,primary,cool,retro,nice..

jemismyname
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jemismyname » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:02 pm

this is probably my favorite, but would it not lead to lawsuits from the Atari VCS people, eventually?

Threepwood
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Threepwood » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:59 am

jemismyname wrote:this is probably my favorite, but would it not lead to lawsuits from the Atari VCS people, eventually?

Most likely. That is why I don't mashup logos of companies into my suggestions. Nostalgia may be great, but too much of it is a trip mine when making a logo.

In general font licensing is also an issue (didn't check it here in specific). You have to make sure the license of the fonts used allow the use in a logo. That is why I use fonts that are published under the SIL Open Font License. They can be used for this for free.

grobda
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby grobda » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:37 pm

was just mucking about making something that looked very atari, the fanboy way :D

in a similar vein;

Untitled.png

m$ paint ghetto style, should've restricted it to a 512 colour palette really

straddle
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby straddle » Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 am

I'm no designer, but when it comes to a good logo, I think simplicity is key. It should be instantly recognizable when reduced to a silhouette. Also, while colour versions are fine, there should also be a plain one or two colour version. Think the Apple logo, or Sun or Intel.

Also, at risk of being lynched by the forums, the MiSTer is now much more than its Atari roots, so maybe steer clear of the Atari logo in the MiSTer logo.

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Tue May 21, 2019 7:37 am

grobda wrote:was just mucking about making something that looked very atari, the fanboy way :D

in a similar vein;

Untitled.png

m$ paint ghetto style, should've restricted it to a 512 colour palette really

spin the sides of the Atari logo 180 degrees so the Atari A forms an M

Lynkk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Lynkk » Fri May 31, 2019 9:48 pm

Hello, do you guys know which font is it on the IO board?
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... i/IO-Board

Thank you!

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:01 am

Lynkk wrote:Hello, do you guys know which font is it on the IO board?

Segoe UI Black +Bold +Italic

Lynkk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Lynkk » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:08 am

THaase wrote:
Lynkk wrote:Hello, do you guys know which font is it on the IO board?

Segoe UI Black +Bold +Italic

Perfect Thank you! :)

Return to “MiSTer”