DE-10 Super Expansion board

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:23 pm

DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby JimDrew » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:30 am

I am working on finalizing a board for the DE-10 that gives you the basic features of the MiSTer I/O board, SDRAM board, and RTC board - all in a single plug-in board. The board is the full size of the DE-10, meaning that all 4 corners have holes for mounting screws. I have added headers for I2C, SPI, and a few other of the Arduino connection points so that they could be used in the future.

I have a question about the TOSlink support that the MiSTer I/O board has. Does anyone actually use the optical audio output? I know it's not popular here in the U.S.

If you have any suggestions or requests, please post. I have quotes for assembled boards, but I do have an opportunity to make any changes right now before they go to production. Thanks!
I am the flux ninja

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1199
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby Newsdee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 am

It would be cool to have RCA and Component connectors, similar to how MiSTICA does it with RCA and SVideo. They sell 6 plug connectors for that + stereo audio.

It probably doesnt fit the board, but thought it's worth mentioning as a possible extra:
https://m.facebook.com/retroshoppontopt ... 4047731654

User avatar
thgill
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby thgill » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:46 am

Will it keep the high speed serial I/O connector that the 5.5 board has?

I know of at least one project in the works that will use it (the LL Cool Joy).

Optical audio for me is of little use.
Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 3561
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby ijor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:57 am

JimDrew wrote:I am working on finalizing a board for the DE-10 that gives you the basic features of the MiSTer I/O board, SDRAM board, and RTC board - all in a single plug-in board.


A unified single board is great!

As mentioned in other thread, I had the idea to add a DB-9 connector for old school joysticks, may be even two behind a mux. I know some people will like it, but Sorgelig probably won't.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2835
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 pm

ijor wrote:I know some people will like it, but Sorgelig probably won't.

Why I won't like? I just don't care - it's a big difference from "won't".
DB9 connected to FPGA won't provide the same flexibility as USB where you can define the buttons as you like, have more than 2 buttons, and even map buttons to keyboard to play games originally not supporting the joysticks.
What i don't like is when some one piggybacking on open source project providing proprietary addons or cores without sources.
I/O board 5.5 provides I/O signals for expansions, so if some core would like to use some additional devices like DB9 joysticks - it's possible.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 3561
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby ijor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Sorgelig wrote:DB9 connected to FPGA won't provide the same flexibility as USB ...


Absolutely. Nobody said it would replace USB controllers. It just would be an alternative.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby JimDrew » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:00 pm

The educational market is starting to use some of the MiSTer add-on boards when teaching FPGA courses, but it is a bit of a nightmare for students to be plugging/un-plugging boards all of the time. So, I have created a single board with all of the features that are needed, retaining much of the MiSTer core compatibility.

I don't think there is enough room to keep the board the same size as the DE-10 (so it fits within a small case) and have a DB9 connector. However, there are plenty of .1" spaced cables to DB9 connector options available. I think the USB option makes more sense because there are USB to Jamma adapters where you can use any type of arcade cabinet joystick/button/trackball, as well as traditional USB based PC joysticks.

I don't have the USB-C connector that the v5.5 board has. I made an expansion header with all of those pins. I also made several other headers that have some of the arduino pins.

I2C and SPI were important pins that needed to be there.
I am the flux ninja

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby mattsoft » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 pm

IMHO, the optical audio is not that important and I wouldn't miss it. Looking forward to this board!

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby JimDrew » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:30 am

The DE-10 Super Expansion board is a full size (all four screw holes are available) board. It's a 4 layer PCB with an incredible amount of decoupling to make it very quiet (creating RF boards is part of my day job). It has break out connectors for the I2C, SPI, and I2S ports. It also has USB/high speed serial break out connectors. The SDRAM and RTC are on this board. There is a small circuit board (or cable, I have not decided the best way to go yet) that will bridge the main board with the LTC connector on the DE-10. The VGA connector, 3.5mm audio jack (with TOSlink like the v5.5 MiSTer I/O board has), SD card socket, push buttons, LEDs, and external connections of LEDs/push buttons are available. This board uses a 30mm fan (instead of the 40mm fan that the MiSTer I/O board uses).

The board will come with the heat sink and fan. This board basically takes the place of the MiSTer I/O board, SDRAM board, and RTC board, giving you a single unit with expansion capabilities (needed for the classroom, maybe not so much for the MiSTer community).
I am the flux ninja

warham
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:17 am

Re: DE-10 Super Expansion board

Postby warham » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:29 am

JimDrew wrote:The DE-10 Super Expansion board is a full size (all four screw holes are available) board. It's a 4 layer PCB with an incredible amount of decoupling to make it very quiet (creating RF boards is part of my day job). It has break out connectors for the I2C, SPI, and I2S ports. It also has USB/high speed serial break out connectors. The SDRAM and RTC are on this board. There is a small circuit board (or cable, I have not decided the best way to go yet) that will bridge the main board with the LTC connector on the DE-10. The VGA connector, 3.5mm audio jack (with TOSlink like the v5.5 MiSTer I/O board has), SD card socket, push buttons, LEDs, and external connections of LEDs/push buttons are available. This board uses a 30mm fan (instead of the 40mm fan that the MiSTer I/O board uses).

The board will come with the heat sink and fan. This board basically takes the place of the MiSTer I/O board, SDRAM board, and RTC board, giving you a single unit with expansion capabilities (needed for the classroom, maybe not so much for the MiSTer community).



less words more boards :p take our $$ Jim. What's the ETA on this thing?


Return to “MiSTer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: witchmaster and 11 guests