https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

solskogen
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

A core that works as a card reader?

Postby solskogen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:29 am

Is that possible with MiST?
So that if you've connected MiST to a computer to power it, you could load a core that would make the SDCARD on the MiST would work as a removable device just like a normal card reader. I am by no means ableof doing that myself, but I would be more than happy to give some euros/dollars to someone who is willing and capable .

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: A core that works as a card reader?

Postby slingshot » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:29 am

MiST as a card reader? And you want to connect via USB to a PC to access it? If it's doable, it doesn't need a core, but must be done in the firmware.

Televicious
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Televicious » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:26 am

Yea I think that would be along the lines of USB mass storage devices which hasn't come to being. Couldn't transfer data over the USB power jack either as that's just a power connection strictly.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:20 am

Televicious wrote:Yea I think that would be along the lines of USB mass storage devices which hasn't come to being. Couldn't transfer data over the USB power jack either as that's just a power connection strictly.

It can do data transfer, namely firmware updates can be done (unbricking). Don't know if it can be programmed to act as a mass storage device. Also something must prevent access other parts of the firmware during data access, the FAT32 driver in firmware will confused if something changes the data without its knowledge.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:39 pm

The MIST already contains some basic code to use the power USB interface. If you connect the MIST to a PC via USB then it'll show up as a CDC device. Win10 should just give you a COM port for that.

I used that for debugging as well as for rs232 and printer port redirection. That way e.g. the Atari ST core can print via a PC. But that's a rarely used feature and someone interested could make the MIST behave as an SD card reader. As slingshot said you'd need to take care of who writes to the disk and when.

The firmware could simply stop any running core if it detects sd card write attempts from the PC. on the other hand could disconnect the PC whenever it detects a write attempt from a core. Something like that should actually be possible.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:37 am

That would make for a rather pricey card reader. :D What exactly are you going to use it for?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:46 pm

I would think about the use case when you don't have to turn off MiST/change the SD-card while updating it. The second part is achievable with some WiFi SD-cards, but then you must reset MiST anyway, otherwise the FAT driver behavior will erratic if you change the data without its knowledge.

Televicious
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Televicious » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:48 am

I had no idea, I had considered adding a DC jack and just thought the micro usb power was chosen for universal adaptivity. I'd really like to check out the printer feature. Wish there was a more direct approach for that as well as networking. Maybe with MiSTer.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:25 pm

AFAIK the printer works with an USB2IEEE1284 converter, but implemented only in the Atari ST core(s). However never tried it, I don't have a parallel printer.

Return to “MiST”