It's no more a MiSTery

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: It's no more a MiSTery

Postby Total Eclipse » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:48 am

Are there any compiled versions of the latest updates?
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:00 pm

Not sure and this one is a mist-firmware update, so you would need the cross compiling environment, unless...
I found out recently that the firmware builds just fine with a single docker command:

docker run --rm -v $(pwd):/build st3ph4n/gcc-arm-none-eabi make

I don't know if it runs, I couldn't test it. If it does, it's like magic compared to the wiki version of how to compile the firmware :D

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 pm

sebdel wrote:...and by one you mean you :)

Feel free to join the debugging club :)

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:39 am

slingshot wrote:

I'm actually considering it but there are a lot of skills involved and I don't know where to start honestly. First things first, I'm acquiring a USB blaster (I need to find one that works with linux). But then what? Could you describe your workflow roughly?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:34 am

sebdel wrote:
slingshot wrote:

I'm actually considering it but there are a lot of skills involved and I don't know where to start honestly. First things first, I'm acquiring a USB blaster (I need to find one that works with linux). But then what? Could you describe your workflow roughly?

- Get a demo which doesn't work.
- Run in an emulator with debugger (both Hatari and Steem are good for it), trace what it does.
- Compare what happens in the FPGA.

The tricky thing is what to watch: CPU flow, FDC behavior, MFP, ...
Also in SignalTap II I found useful the sequential trigger ordering - then based on the trace generated by the emulator, it's possible to watch "checkpoints".
Debugging the European demos loader took 2 days - and the size of the fix doesn't reflects the time spent on that. But I'm a novice in 68000 assembly, so it's always a learning experience.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:32 pm

This core will be shown tomorrow ay AtariMad event Madrid, Spain by me. Hope people will enjoy MiST and the Atari cores :)
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Good luck! Spread the MiSTery ;)

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:12 am

slingshot wrote:Good luck! Spread the MiSTery ;)

Sure :cheers: People enjoyed It! :D

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:24 am

Total Eclipse wrote:Are there any compiled versions of the latest updates?

Same question :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:23 pm

There are not enough improvements for a new version.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:59 pm

slingshot wrote:There are not enough improvements for a new version.

No problem :D

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 am

- Get a demo which doesn't work.
−> I'm going to try to get 0913 to work. It's the best music disk and you can't change tracks for some reason.

- Run in an emulator with debugger (both Hatari and Steem are good for it), trace what it does.
-> check, 68K is still my preferred ASM by far :)

-> I'm stuck. How do you do that ? I guess some demos can be run under MON but...

I was surprised how flawless The european demos are. Also surprised at the ST connexion screen from Punish Your Machine. One of the very few 4 bit hardscrollers out there and it works.
Not so happy: the ventura demos that share a lot of infrastructure code with the european demos are still broken :shrug: Looks like a FDC problem.

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:21 am

slingshot wrote:There are not enough improvements for a new version.

Fair enough.

I'm looking forward to wandering around the Skid Row demos once a new release is issued in the future 8)

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:26 am

I thought I fixed Ventura and Skid Row, will re-check.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:31 am

sebdel wrote:- Get a demo which doesn't work.
−> I'm going to try to get 0913 to work. It's the best music disk and you can't change tracks for some reason.

Maybe ikbd? Is there any clue in e.g. in Hatari if is it using a custom ikbd routine?

-> check, 68K is still my preferred ASM by far :)

Personal taste :)

-> I'm stuck. How do you do that ? I guess some demos can be run under MON but...

Simulation or SignalTap II, however reproducing what the demo does in simulation is very tricky, as there's no sim framework for the CPU/MFP/etc. IKBD is pretty much isolated, and GSTMCU also, but that's bug-free :) (hehe, of course not, at least ST mode needs some adjusting in the horizontal events section).

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:40 am

slingshot wrote:I thought I fixed Ventura and Skid Row, will re-check.

I believe you did, however the only binaries I've seen are from August, from the link in the first post.

Have you uploaded any more recent ones?

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:50 am

slingshot wrote:I thought I fixed Ventura and Skid Row, will re-check.

Skid row works fine.
Ventura, you go to load a screen (mine was sphere and checkerboard), and the loader hangs with the estimated time 'inf'. props to the OVR for handling the 'inf' case :lol:

Maybe ikbd? Is there any clue in e.g. in Hatari if is it using a custom ikbd routine?

No, I could see the cmp.b #1, $ffffc02.w, standard stuff. And you can use the keyboard but when it loads/unpack the selected track there seems to be memory corruption of some sort. Sometimes the screen display vertical lines, sometimes the scroller is corrupted. I see a couple of relative address modes access to spare registers. I wonder if it doesn't exploit 'ghost' memory mapping. Maybe a MMU problem?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 am

sebdel wrote:No, I could see the cmp.b #1, $ffffc02.w, standard stuff. And you can use the keyboard but when it loads/unpack the selected track there seems to be memory corruption of some sort. Sometimes the screen display vertical lines, sometimes the scroller is corrupted. I see a couple of relative address modes access to spare registers. I wonder if it doesn't exploit 'ghost' memory mapping. Maybe a MMU problem?

Is it using the Blitter (as it's an STe demo)? Disk DMA and blitter DMA together is buggy, I think.

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:55 am

slingshot wrote:
sebdel wrote:No, I could see the cmp.b #1, $ffffc02.w, standard stuff. And you can use the keyboard but when it loads/unpack the selected track there seems to be memory corruption of some sort. Sometimes the screen display vertical lines, sometimes the scroller is corrupted. I see a couple of relative address modes access to spare registers. I wonder if it doesn't exploit 'ghost' memory mapping. Maybe a MMU problem?

Is it using the Blitter (as it's an STe demo)? Disk DMA and blitter DMA together is buggy, I think.

I'll have a look tonight. It's back to javascript for the time being, why do I have to work :roll:

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 am

sebdel wrote:
I'll have a look tonight. It's back to javascript for the time being, why do I have to work :roll:

Ah, javascript doesn't look that interesting as 68k assembly :)

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 pm

sebdel wrote:Skid row works fine.
Ventura, you go to load a screen (mine was sphere and checkerboard), and the loader hangs with the estimated time 'inf'. props to the OVR for handling the 'inf' case :lol:

Inf because you didn't put the second disk to drive B: :D (there was an another demo, where I sucked this).

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:17 am

slingshot wrote:
sebdel wrote:Skid row works fine.

Inf because you didn't put the second disk to drive B: :D (there was an another demo, where I sucked this).

Ah, sorry about that, I swear it didn't tell me to insert disk 2 (or dit it ?)

Re: 0913, it's not working anytime soon :( It uses the ACSI DMA and the blitter, tests FDC interrupt bit on the MFP, writes to a bunch of Falcon video registers and write to $ffff860e which as far as I can tell is an unassigned I/O right after the DMA controller. I don't get it. 8O

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:39 am

sebdel wrote:Ah, sorry about that, I swear it didn't tell me to insert disk 2 (or dit it ?)

No, that was just luck I tried it.

Re: 0913, it's not working anytime soon :( It uses the ACSI DMA and the blitter, tests FDC interrupt bit on the MFP, writes to a bunch of Falcon video registers and write to $ffff860e which as far as I can tell is an unassigned I/O right after the DMA controller. I don't get it. 8O

Most probably it's because of the blitter. Would need to implement its bus arbitration part correctly. $ffff860e AFAIK is the MegaSTE HD floppy mode selector (no use here, the FDC automatically supports HD images without any switch, nor the demo requires a HD sized image).

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:30 am

slingshot wrote:
sebdel wrote:Ah, sorry about that, I swear it didn't tell me to insert disk 2 (or dit it ?)

No, that was just luck I tried it.

Most probably it's because of the blitter. Would need to implement its bus arbitration part correctly. $ffff860e AFAIK is the MegaSTE HD floppy mode selector (no use here, the FDC automatically supports HD images without any switch, nor the demo requires a HD sized image).

I think this is way out of my league but thanks to your super clean coding style I almost understand what I'm reading... almost. Could you elaborate on what you think needs to be done? What kind of docs do you have to replicate the blitter? I found a bunch of articles that explain pretty well how it's connected to the MCU and the roles of BR, BG and BGACK but that doesn't tell much about the internals of the blitter. I mean, do you think the internal state machine would need to be rewritten?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:05 pm

sebdel wrote: I found a bunch of articles that explain pretty well how it's connected to the MCU and the roles of BR, BG and BGACK but that doesn't tell much about the internals of the blitter. I mean, do you think the internal state machine would need to be rewritten?

The blitter is not my work, it's the original from Till Harbaum. I just made it somewhat compatible with the FX68K, and the 3-way handshaking of the bus arbitration, which is not in TG68K. That didn't make it more compatible with demos. I think the best would be to use the original schematics (which worked pretty well for the GSTMCU). But it's not a trivial work.

Return to “MiST”