Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Mister SNES port to MIST possible?

Postby slingshot » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Try this please:
https://github.com/gyurco/SNES_MiSTer/r ... tag/test15
(and watch out especially for sound issues - there's a big DSP optimization, hopefully not buggy)

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:22 am

Gehstock wrote:[code]Flow Status Successful - Wed Sep 11 21:47:40 2019
Quartus II 64-Bit Version 13.1.4 Build 182 03/12/2014 SJ Web Edition
Revision Name snes_mist
Top-level Entity Name SNES_MIST_TOP
Family Cyclone III
Device EP3C25E144C8
Total logic elements 24,429 / 24,624 ( 99 % )

8O 8O 8O

alexh wrote:
Total combinational functions 24,150 / 24,624 ( 98 % )

How did you manage to get that to route? With Xilinx FPGA's I'm lucky if I can get 70% full and still route.

Really? With modern FPGA families? FPGA's usually have spare routing resources, on purpose, to avoid that kind of problem.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

Televicious
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Televicious » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:21 am

slingshot wrote:Try this please:
(and watch out especially for sound issues - there's a big DSP optimization, hopefully not buggy)

Hmm still same. Green text on the field and freezing. Actually gets more graphic corruption than before as it plays too. Don't think Tecmo SB uses DSP, just Regular ROM with Battery.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 am

Televicious wrote:

Hmm still same. Green text on the field and freezing. Actually gets more graphic corruption than before as it plays too. Don't think Tecmo SB uses DSP, just Regular ROM with Battery.

What version? I played about 5 minutes of Super Bowl I, US.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 am

ijor wrote:
alexh wrote:
Total combinational functions 24,150 / 24,624 ( 98 % )

How did you manage to get that to route? With Xilinx FPGA's I'm lucky if I can get 70% full and still route.

Really? With modern FPGA families? FPGA's usually have spare routing resources, on purpose, to avoid that kind of problem.

It was the case with Virtex6 760, Virtex7 2000T and Ultrascale XCVU440. I've not been MrFPGA for 1-2 years so it may have improved. Maybe the problem is with big Xilinx devices? I know they are not a monolithic die. They are 2 or sometimes 4 die and perhaps when your logic and clocks cross die the tools just don't optimise well?

arty
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby arty » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm

I recorded audio tracks from Chrono Trigger Demo Mode for visual comparison of DSP optimization with previous|original version of DSP implementation.
On next screenshots: upper stereo track is audio from Test Core Ver10, lower stereo track from Test Core Ver15. Both tracks look(sound) almost identically with visual difference in noise transition parts(but sound the same). As for highest possible level of comparison, it seems we need real SNES for recording with same hardware in addition to audio tracks from MiST.
So, well done. Thank you, Slingshot! This additional 5% of FPGA will be useful for other features.
ImageImage
Last edited by arty on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
…………ıllıllı just a friend ıllıllı…………

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks for testing!
However about extra features: as GSUand SDD1 could fit now, the limit is the extra memory bandwidth they're using.

arty
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby arty » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:50 pm

slingshot wrote:Thanks for testing!
However about extra features: as GSUand SDD1 could fit now, the limit is the extra memory bandwidth they're using.

You're welcome!
Needless to say it would be great to see these extra chips for SNES in action on MiST.
…………ıllıllı just a friend ıllıllı…………

Televicious
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Televicious » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:32 am

slingshot wrote:
Televicious wrote:

What version? I played about 5 minutes of Super Bowl I, US.

That's the one. I tested 2 and 3 also and did not see any of the same issues. Madden works perfect and other tecmo games are good too. I did try different roms also and the issues persisted. Sometimes it takes a bit before it starts acting up. During plays the current down and yards to first pop up on the field and they are bright green instead of silver. Occassionally they come up silver. Then as I play through the game I get graphic corruption in the playbook on that latest version. I haven't had any interceptions happen on the newest core yet, but I did have it freeze regardless randomly and on the previous at least twice in a row the ball was intercepted and it froze.

Also, curious, which GSU chip were you thinking to implement?

gtv3000
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gtv3000 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:46 am

slingshot wrote:Thanks for testing!

thank's for your job!!

thanks to the core of the snes and the new fixes for the core minimig aga the old mist has a new life!
I tested the core v15 on Super Mario World USA, Super Metroid and Knights Of The Round without freeze for over 2 hours:

Link of Video from my Youtube Account: https://youtu.be/4-IUAKJoT1k

:

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 am

Televicious wrote:That's the one. I tested 2 and 3 also and did not see any of the same issues.

And did you use the save/load feature before the freezes, or just happened without that?

Well, neither of them at the moment, I don't think I can find a way to satisfy the memory bandwidth requirement.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 am

gtv3000 wrote:thanks to the core of the snes and the new fixes for the core minimig aga the old mist has a new life!

Old, but not obsolete - as the Terminator said.

gtv3000
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gtv3000 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 am

slingshot wrote:
Televicious wrote:That's the one. I tested 2 and 3 also and did not see any of the same issues.

And did you use the save/load feature before the freezes, or just happened without that?

I used the savings with a 2 x 64k file size for Super Mario World USA and Super Metroid JAP and they work properly, after 1 hour of play I played another 40 minutes at Knights Of The Round with no freeze, I have a MIST rev1.3 with Hinix memory

gtv3000
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gtv3000 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 am

slingshot wrote:And did you use the save/load feature before the freezes, or just happened without that?

I used the savings with a 2 x 64k file size for Super Mario World USA and Super Metroid JAP and they work properly, after 1 hour of play I played another 40 minutes at Knights Of The Round with no freeze, I have a MIST rev1.3 with Hinix memory[/quote]

gtv3000
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gtv3000 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:20 am

slingshot wrote: Old, but not obsolete - as the Terminator said

:D

I had put the MIST on sale to buy a MISTER or wait for an FPGA all in one more powerful but with the core of the SNES and that of the AMIGA fixed I decided to keep it :wink:

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:48 am

gtv3000 wrote:I had put the MIST on sale to buy a MISTER or wait for an FPGA all in one more powerful but with the core of the SNES and that of the AMIGA fixed I decided to keep it :wink:

Good decision :)
Actually the problem is with the "more powerful" FPGAs that even they have more internal RAM/more logical elements, in this price category, the speed grade is not higher. So even if there's place in them, you still won't get any CPU core running at 100MHz for example.

Televicious
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Televicious » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:59 pm

slingshot wrote:

Well, neither of them at the moment, I don't think I can find a way to satisfy the memory bandwidth requirement.

I have tried both with and without .sav mounted, but had not written the file. Usually to recreate the interceptions I play as a terrible team against the packers or vikings preseason man vs com in the snow since that was the first time I noticed it, but I've had it happen in all sorts of different settings and games and com vs. com is the easiest way to test. Sometimes it will play through whole games with minor corruption. Only have 2 roms of this, I'll try some different ones, but this is the only game I could find that still has significant issues. Also, a fave. I have tried some hacked roms and had issues too, but I wasn't expecting total compatibility with those. Some of the hacked ones actually run really well though.

sardine
Atariator
Atariator

Postby sardine » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Please help..

tried every version of snes rbf

tried 3 usb pads, cheap chinese snes pad, psx classic usb and I just got the official licenced megadrive pro 6 button usb pad

every pad in windows works. mapper.exe used for example megadrive pro 6 button pad
joystick_remap=0F0D,00C1,1,2,4,8,200,20,10,100,0,0,400,800,40,80

in the mist menu works, in joystick test every button on the pad i press shows up on the mist with the correct description (A or select etc)
while in a snes game I can press start + Select and the mist menu appears.

NOTHING will work in a snes game.

I've tried joystick swap (in early snes rbf) latest snes rbf its not there, i'm using VGA output.

thanks.

sardine
Atariator
Atariator

Postby sardine » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:41 pm

Never mind got it working.

no idea why i just formatted the sd card and copied it all over again.

now works

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:35 pm

This Core works great ! :cheers:

But I need help to rename HI, Lo and ExHi roms.
Is There a specific table online or can I use a tool to recognize and rename all my roms ?

Thanks for your help

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:59 pm

DanyPPC wrote:This Core works great ! :cheers:

But I need help to rename HI, Lo and ExHi roms.
Is There a specific table online or can I use a tool to recognize and rename all my roms ?

Thanks for your help

Most of the ROMs are Lo, there are only one or two ExHi, the rest is Hi :)

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:32 pm

Ok, thanks Slingshot

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:35 am

slingshot wrote:Most of the ROMs are Lo, there are only one or two ExHi, the rest is Hi :)

How do emulators distinguish these automatically? I'd assume that this is e.g. stored in the header of smc files. Couldn't we just parse the header during upload? Like we do with the load address of c64 cartridges?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:
slingshot wrote:Most of the ROMs are Lo, there are only one or two ExHi, the rest is Hi :)

How do emulators distinguish these automatically? I'd assume that this is e.g. stored in the header of smc files. Couldn't we just parse the header during upload? Like we do with the load address of c64 cartridges?

AFAIK they're using some heuristics to look at instructions at the possible entry points, and use what's more plausible. On MiSTer, it's implemented on the ARM side.

squid4
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby squid4 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:49 pm

DanyPPC wrote:Is There a specific table online or can I use a tool to recognize and rename all my roms ?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/CoreDocSNES "ROM Validation and SAV File Generation" section.

Return to “MiST”