[Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

User avatar
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Gyula, Hungary

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby DrOG » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:35 am

slingshot wrote:
DrOG wrote:Sounds great! A composite/S-Video out would be nice as well, especially if it would be doable on firmware level, or migrated later to another cores...

For composite/S-Video, here's an extremely simple circuit:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/RGB_SVideo
AFAIK the same used in Mistica, too.

I don't know how to do it in FPGA, probably one of the VGA DACs can be used to do the mixing, I don't know the math for it.

Hi!

Thanks for the info!
I own already a cheap chinese RGB->composite converter, which works really nice:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5028478 ... 4c4dIIGpHz

But it would be better to get the composite video directly from MiST to avoid the usage of 'one more box on the table'.

Cheers: Gábor

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby foft » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:37 am

rittwage wrote:Is there not an 800 15KHz version anymore (RGB)? I saw that variation in the 5200 version, but the 800 versions only say VGA.

It can be selected in the menu with the hotkeys.

I should have removed the _VGA.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby slingshot » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:06 am

rittwage wrote:Is there not an 800 15KHz version anymore (RGB)? I saw that variation in the 5200 version, but the 800 versions only say VGA.

I think the 4 A5200 versions should be identical, it's fully controllable by the standard MiST methods (scandoubler_disable and ypbpr + middle and right buttons).

Upd.: yes, even the md5sums are the same.

User avatar
RealLarry
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:05 pm
Location: San Junipero

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby RealLarry » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:24 pm

foft wrote:Please send me any feedback, positive as well as ‘this is broken’ :D

Well, here're my first thoughts:
  • Profiles aren't working and aren't saveable. I set up profile #1, set up #2, switch back to #1, but #1 contains setup of #2
  • Cartridges: When I switch from a non standard cartridge to another and reset the Atari, cartridge doesn't work and Atari boots to Basic (or selft test, depends on used system rom). I have to reset MiST and re-seat the new cartridge to use it.
    But this seems to depend on the type or cartridge. I'll have to sort and name them out
    EDIT: At least the Prisma Series (Williams 64KB) are affected
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

rittwage
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby rittwage » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:05 pm

RealLarry wrote:
foft wrote:Please send me any feedback, positive as well as ‘this is broken’ :D

Well, here're my first thoughts:
  • Profiles aren't working and aren't saveable. I set up profile #1, set up #2, switch back to #1, but #1 contains setup of #2


Did you create the "settings" file in the ROM folder? It will save after you do this...

It was earlier in the thread, I missed it at first also.
http://www.64kib.com/autobuild/private/ ... _examples/

User avatar
RealLarry
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:05 pm
Location: San Junipero

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby RealLarry » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:34 pm

rittwage wrote:Did you create the "settings" file in the ROM folder? It will save after you do this...
It was earlier in the thread, I missed it at first also.
http://www.64kib.com/autobuild/private/ ... _examples/

Yes, I did. And this is working to switch and save the video setting, but not for the profiles.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby foft » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:51 pm

I can confirm profiles are not implemented on the mist. The video/memory/system settings can be saved though, but just one set.

Interesting about the cartridges, perhaps I need to reset some of the cartridge logic when a new cartridge is inserted.

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby foft » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:44 pm

I put up a new build here: http://www.64kib.com/autobuild/20190713/
changes:

20190713:
800xl:
mist/mcc216/mcctv
Profile support using sd card. Profiles had been implemented only for eclairexl/chameleon using in-built flash memory. Put sdflash.bin provided here in the rom folder. This can be used instead of the os rom, basic rom and settings file (which override this on first boot).
PAL/NTSC pll switching.
chameleon
The settings file used to generate chameleon.bin was missing, fixed that.
common
Reset cartridge after inserting a new one (had been lost in menu rewrite)
5200:
Merged some updates to mist 5200 from slingshot. Many thanks.

Next release... mistification of 800xl. slingshot has done half the work, I just need to pull my finger out and do the other half!

User avatar
vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 842
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby vebxenon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:54 pm

foft wrote:I put up a new build here: http://www.64kib.com/autobuild/20190713/
changes:

20190713:
800xl:
mist/mcc216/mcctv
Profile support using sd card. Profiles had been implemented only for eclairexl/chameleon using in-built flash memory. Put sdflash.bin provided here in the rom folder. This can be used instead of the os rom, basic rom and settings file (which override this on first boot).
PAL/NTSC pll switching.
chameleon
The settings file used to generate chameleon.bin was missing, fixed that.
common
Reset cartridge after inserting a new one (had been lost in menu rewrite)
5200:
Merged some updates to mist 5200 from slingshot. Many thanks.

Next release... mistification of 800xl. slingshot has done half the work, I just need to pull my finger out and do the other half!


Great :D :cheers:. Thanks very much!
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:27 am

You are great Mark :cheers:

exolon
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby exolon » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Unfortunately it does not work on my Dell 1908FPb. The previous versions worked very well.

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby foft » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:27 pm

exolon wrote:Unfortunately it does not work on my Dell 1908FPb. The previous versions worked very well.

Which video mode?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby slingshot » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:26 pm

exolon wrote:Unfortunately it does not work on my Dell 1908FPb. The previous versions worked very well.

Maybe it's because composite sync is default ON.

exolon
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby exolon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Foft
Honestly, I do not know. I turn on my mist, and I have a message "Cannot Display This Video Mode"

Slingshot
Propably You're right. But how to change it. Which command to use in "mist.ini" ?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby slingshot » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:55 pm

exolon wrote:Propably You're right. But how to change it. Which command to use in "mist.ini" ?

The core doesn't use mist.ini, but a custom setting file:
http://www.64kib.com/autobuild/private/ ... _examples/

exolon
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby exolon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 pm

I give up. I renamed "576kcompy_PAL_VGA" to "settings". And copy it into a ROM folder "atari800/rom". Nothing changes. It still does not work.
I think I will wait for it mistification version.

rittwage
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby rittwage » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:54 pm

The new core (not sure when it stopped) is not seeing anything but the first disk drive now, unless I am missing some setting.

EDIT: Both the 2019 builds only see the first disk drive. 2016 builds see all 4.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby seastalker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:18 am

rittwage wrote:Is there not an 800 15KHz version anymore (RGB)? I saw that variation in the 5200 version, but the 800 versions only say VGA.


[DIR] build_NTSC/ 2019-07-13 22:40 -
[DIR] build_NTSC_CS/ 2019-07-13 22:40

What's the difference between variations (and what is "CS"?

hyperterminal
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby hyperterminal » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:31 am

I think CS stands for composite sync, a certain way of analogue RGB output.

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby foft » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am

No updates for a bit, broke my usb blaster cable and need to order one. + summer hols.

Regarding issues:
Drives: I did rewrite the menu so it’s possible. I’ll test and see what is wrong.
Ntsc/cs on 5200: I suggest using the non-cs one, I just added cs for myself. I need composite sync for rgb 15khz and 31khz with my setup.
Video settings: The settings file can be used. It I prefer hotkeys. http://www.64kib.com/redmine/projects/e ... video_mode
There are not so many modes on mist: pal/ntsc, rgb/scandouble, composite or hv sync

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby DanyPPC » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Also Component Output (interlaced / progressive) :)

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby foft » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:14 pm

I fixed the drive thing, in the firmware I had a 0 where there should be the drive number - ooops! I'll rebuild fairly soon.

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby foft » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:36 pm

exolon wrote:I give up. I renamed "576kcompy_PAL_VGA" to "settings". And copy it into a ROM folder "atari800/rom". Nothing changes. It still does not work.
I think I will wait for it mistification version.


If the hotkeys don't work try one of these ones, all those ones were composite sync since that is my setup.

48k800_NTSC_VGA_NCS 48k800_PAL_VGA_NCS 576kcompy_NTSC_VGA_NCS 576kcompy_PAL_VGA_NCS

The NTSC ones are most likely to work on a VGA monitor...

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby foft » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Fixed the drive issue: http://www.64kib.com/autobuild/20190719/

20190719:
Bug fix release to allow using drives other than 1!
Threw in a feature: vertical blank only turbo, press fire on cpu speed menu. This allows some display timing sensitive software to run faster, though of course is much slower than full turbo.

rittwage
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: [Atari 800 core] Mark Watson's new site

Postby rittwage » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:51 am

foft wrote:Fixed the drive issue: http://www.64kib.com/autobuild/20190719/

20190719:
Bug fix release to allow using drives other than 1!
Threw in a feature: vertical blank only turbo, press fire on cpu speed menu. This allows some display timing sensitive software to run faster, though of course is much slower than full turbo.


Thanks for your continued fantastic work!


Return to “MiST”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests