Do you select scanlines in settings when using a real CRT?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Do you select scanlines in settings when using a real CRT?

Postby seastalker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Simply put: Do you select scanline settings when using a real CRT?

Could be MiST or other devices with scanline options, but I wonder who is of the camp that decides a CRT is enough (disables all settings added scanlines) and who prefers to add the additional filters. Maybe some of you just go core by core?

I am really liking my find of an IBM PS/1 crt monitor because it has a VGA port. It handles 31khz well but 15khz is a no go and bugs it out. Some cores like the Speccy sometimes has a vertical hold issue I can't adjust, but then its ok. All the same, I find some cores look STUNNING like Genesis and TG16 but most all do. It is almost TOO good where I debate adding scanlines on a few.

Maybe some are purists who feel added scanlines is ok on a Rasberry pi but scanlines are downgraded in the mind as artificial or 'emulated scanlines' when added to a real hardware combo of vintage computer and real CRT?

Xtro
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Do you select scanlines in settings when using a real CRT?

Postby Xtro » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:57 pm

I am mostly using the MiST in a 31khz CRT and I always use scanlines, it feels right to me, I share this CRT with a old PC with Voodoo 2 for retrogaming. Sometimes I switch to a 15khz CRT and then turn off scanlines.

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DanyPPC » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:09 am

I dislike scanlines.
If i want the real scanlines i use MiSTICA wired to the 8833mk2 PAL monitor.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:59 pm

I have disliked scanlines when early emulators used artificial looking ones in the earlier days. They have gotten better, and now I use them with Retroarch on modern lcd screens with a slight pincushion effect and it 'feels' better to me. Interesting perspective about using them for 31khz CRTs but not on 15khz. Almost everywhere on YT and online there is only the line in the sand about scanlines on modern screens or "get an old CRT." This is a very interesting discussion to me about people's thoughts on the in between- using a CRT with devices that can toggle scanlines. Also interesting is how some have ON/OFF where as others have 25%/50% settings, etc.

On a 15khz screen, what does it look like if you add scanlines when they already exist? Wish I still had my 1998 Dell CRT Monitor or a Viewsonic to compare with my small IBM PS/1 CRT. Probably anything that looked 'better' would mostly be due to screen size or that Dells and Viewsonics had better parts in general as opposed to resolutions? Maybe a 15khz capable monitor as late and as young as possible is a good way to go.

Anyone prefer LCD over a CRT for 15khz monitors like the BenQ ones I hear about?

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:34 pm

On 15Khz CRT Monitor scanlines option have no effect.

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby eeun » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:43 pm

When I have MiST connected to my 17" Samsung CRT I still enable the lowest % scanline setting for the ST core.
With such a large monitor compared to an SC1224 I find scanlines make for a more nostalgic feel.

Chris23235
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Chris23235 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:24 pm

DanyPPC wrote:On 15Khz CRT Monitor scanlines option have no effect.

It depends on the core, some cores apply scanlines to the picture on a 15Khz Monitor, e.g. the Colecovision core, but of course it is nothing like the intended effect, because the scanlines are eating lines on the screen, so that the effect is in fact a resolution lower then the original system.

Return to “MiST”