[ZX Spectrum Core] New Update

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: [ZX Spectrum Core] New Update

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Z80 format is basically the same as SNA format - it's snapshot of memory. This is the worst option to keep the game collection.

squid4
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby squid4 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:34 pm

I was hoping to add "Recreated ZX Spectrum Keyboard" support to this core but I think the USB keyboard support is in the MiST firmware that would need changing not the core itself. This keyboard, in "Game layer" mode replicates the ZX keyboard exactly, like Symbol Shift, Caps Shift but in Qwerty mode acts just like any normal keyboard but with special key combinations to get things like function keys, control etc. so Symbol/Caps Shift don't work in the core.

It sends a down character and up character for each key in "Game layer" as documented in http://sinclair.recreatedzxspectrum.com/downloads/recreated_sinclair_zx_spectrum_developer_guide_placeholder_ZX%20Keyboard%20Technical%20Document_a15_v1_1a.pdf. I can't see a way to do this in the core as the firmware supplies the PS2 keycodes, not keyup/keydown codes, so would need access at a lower level. The latest Fuse emulator supports this keyboard.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:13 pm

I use my Recreated ZX Spectrum Keyboard with the Raspberry pi3 but more recently use it via usb with the Mist. Admittedly, having not grown up with a speccy, being able to navigate menus, launch a game and even find buttons to move the player character around is not 100% proof all is functioning as it should. Being such a small niche group of us, do you have any suggestions as which mode is better to work with? Game layer or PS2 mode?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:16 am

USB and PS/2 also isn't more than just key up and key down events. I'd expect everything to already be in place to give you a nice setup. It sounds like in Game Layer mode it would just send raw USB key codes for every key. The MIST firmware does all the USB handling and then translates USB keycode into PS/2 keycodes and sends them to the core. The core than gets key up and down events for all individual keys. The spectrum core translates these events back into something the speccy inside expects.

The issue i expect is that in the default key mapping some of the keys on the speccy keyboard wouldn't match exactly what the core is expecting as e.g. there is no established rule to map speccy keys to PC keyboard layouts. But the MIST firmware has a means to swap keys. So if you find some mapping needs to be adopted you can just configure this in the mist.ini

And of that doesn't work you can always add some special support to the firmware. Someone did that for his keyrah which does similar with the amiga keyboard.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

squid4
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby squid4 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks MasterOfGizmo for the answer. The problem with it is that instead of the usual, for example pressing key '1', press you get keydown 1, release you get keyup 1. In game layer mode pressing '1' you get keydown 'a' & keyup 'a', release '1' you get keydown 'b' & keyup 'b'.
It's probably not worth the effort for the tiny number of people who have this keyboard.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:00 pm

But it must be some delay between the two events, and in this case, it's the same as if you press and release the key.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:38 am

So if a mist .ini file is edited, then it may work. I'd have to really dive in on the Speccy, but if I create one for myself, I'd certainly share it for the other small group of us.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:23 pm

In game mode it sends one keydown and keyup on _one_ keypress and another different pair of down and up events on release? That sounds super strange. Why would one want something like that?

Who produces this? Can you ask them for a firmware that just sends raw and simple key down and up events?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Return to “MiST”