Combining cores

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Xyla
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Combining cores

Postby Xyla » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:26 am

Has anyone ever done weird experiments with trying to combine hardware from different cores? Things like adding the FM sound chip from a Genesis/Megadrive core to the Atari ST core? I really have no idea how feasible something like this would be but I'm very interested in the idea.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Combining cores

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:23 am

It's pretty common situation. If one core has a better module then it's copied to another core.
Sometimes you need to adjust the signals to match the new module with the core.

Xyla
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Xyla » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:41 am

Sorgelig wrote:It's pretty common situation. If one core has a better module then it's copied to another core.
Sometimes you need to adjust the signals to match the new module with the core.

You are saying it's a common situation to do something like take an Atari ST core and add a sound chip that was never used in any real Atari computer? I'm talking about copying modules from one core to an unrelated core that never had such hardware... not using a better implementation of something that normally exists in the machine.

nightshadowpt
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby nightshadowpt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 am

It should be the same as described by Sorgelig. You would have to ensure that the new "hardware" communicated somehow with the base computer being simulated, but you would still have to develop operating system drivers to ensure the harware was recognized and properly used.

You can check out what the Spectrum Next team is doing with their project to better understand this type of integration on FPGAs, as they are including several SID and AY chips with the Next.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 am

My comment was not about adding something never existed in real HW. I was talking about taking some modules from other cores if some part of real HW exist in other cores.

But of course with FPGA you can combine and mix anything even if it never existed in real life. And of course new hybrid should know how to use new hardware. So you will need to write your own OS/APP support for Atari ST to work with new FM chip.
And here we have situation which i'm doubt very much. No one will write software for 20+ years old computers. May be couple demos or proof of concept semi-working app.
Overall effort of adding never-existed HW not worth of result.

20+ years old computers are in preservation stage and all efforts should be targeted to precise emulation rather adding never existed HW. That's my point of view.

azesmbog
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby azesmbog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 am

но тем не менее в любимый Spectrum добавляют и второй чип AY, и третий, и SID и SAA и пишут какую никакую поддержку, пусть и ограниченную. Сорри за мой французский.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:06 am

azesmbog wrote:но тем не менее в любимый Spectrum добавляют и второй чип AY, и третий, и SID и SAA и пишут какую никакую поддержку, пусть и ограниченную. Сорри за мой французский.

ну покажи список игр где это используется

Return to “MiST”