Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

How actively are you using your MiST?

I use my MiST regularly and love it
36%
I could use my MiST more, but there are not enough progress on the cores
34%
I have my MiST stashed on a cupboard
8%
I have sold my MiST (fell out of love for it)
1%
I have never had a MiST (but am thinking of getting one)
8%
I have never had a MiST (and probably never will)
12%

Total votes: 74

DanyPPC
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: How actively are you using your MiST?

Postby DanyPPC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:35 am

diggie wrote:A) last time I used it there were major timing issues in the Amiga core affecting games I wanted to play, but mostly

Which games show that problem ?
I tested with success many games and seems to be standing in front of a real Amiga 500/1200.
B) With no HDMI output it honestly is just a PITA connecting it to any modern display

I hope in a MiST2 with HDMI output and other improvements

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:11 pm

DanyPPC wrote:
B) With no HDMI output it honestly is just a PITA connecting it to any modern display

You do know about MiSTer, right?

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Newsdee wrote:
DanyPPC wrote:

You do know about MiSTer, right?

Mister isnt really an official product (yet anyway) .. its still partly a DIY project unless you can get someone to sell you the required daughter boards .. otherwise you have to roll your own.. not everyone wants that. That said, it would be nice if someone produced a proper commercially available product or "kit" with all the premade parts included.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:32 am

ericgus wrote:Mister isnt really an official product (yet anyway) .. its still partly a DIY project unless you can get someone to sell you the required daughter boards .. otherwise you have to roll your own.. not everyone wants that. That said, it would be nice if someone produced a proper commercially available product or "kit" with all the premade parts included.

You only really need an SDRAM board. A fully assembled machine would probably be too pricey given it's mostly custom parts right now.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 am

I don't yet suffer from the lack of VGA. My current Living room TV has one, and I have an old Dell hooked up to my next to my newer Dell monitors for my retro system. It has S-video, Composite, VGA and DVI. I even hooked up my Falcon and get 1600x1200 on it, which is a fabulous resolution for MiNT! Wish I could get a small system like the MiST to run that same setup with.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:05 am

Newsdee wrote:
ericgus wrote:
You only really need an SDRAM board. A fully assembled machine would probably be too pricey given it's mostly custom parts right now.

As I said.. you need someone to either supply you the daughterboard or you need to roll your own..

therein lies the problem.. the ram board is a custom part .. you either have to get a person to make it for you or do it yourself..

perhaps someone should "kit up" those boards and the main board .. so there is nothing an novice end user has to do .. right now AFAIK no one is doing that.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:01 am

ericgus wrote:right now AFAIK no one is doing that.

Not correct. Some people are selling the boards: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=32121
And it seems more boards will be available soon.

MiSTer is more safe in term to follow the project and provide support. It's fully open. Custom boards have no complex or hard to find parts. So, it can be produced by anyone. Also, you always can save some money if you are willing to make it by yourself. And it's very cheap if you will do.

In case of fully custom boards you usually have to pay 2x 3x price due to very complex assembly and high margin of manufacturer. And of course you depend very much on producing quantity. For example, FPGArcade is always lack of supply and while waiting for free availability it become outdated already. Even Xilinx development environment stopped to support the FPGA used in FPGArcade. And price is 3x-4x times higher than DE10-nano which has bigger FPGA.

With current situation on the market where FPGA has only small fraction of market, the price for fully custom boards like MiST or FPGArcade will be very high without offering even small part of emulation comparing to dirt-cheap RaspberryPi.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:49 pm

The MiST still has a niche. It has MIDI native support which is important in the Atari ST legacy (lots of musicians used it). Also it is large enough to run most 8bit cores. A newer device was needed though, because larger cores barely fit in the FPGA (e.g. Genesis).

I found out recently the FPGA Arcade is planning a revamp (an updated board with newer FPGA), but there are not many technical details yet (see their forums). Let's not forget, though, that many MiST cores came from the Arcade developer (MikeJ), so having these projects help everybody as long as they share their code.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
ericgus wrote:right now AFAIK no one is doing that.

Not correct. Some people are selling the boards: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=32121

Oh thats good news..

The only concern I see with using a dev board like the DE10-nano is often companies will update or revise their dev boards from time to time (potentially altering them in incompatible ways for whats going on with MiSTer).. I dont know what Terasic's track record is but I have seen it happen and its annoying.

Wayne123
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Wayne123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:48 pm

I bought the MiST because of the Midi ports, I am happy with it. I also have a FPGA Arcade board, it is nice because it can do RTG graphics in the Amiga core, still waiting on an Atari core though.

I plan on setting up a MiSTer because of the greater possibilities it will offer, I am still undecided on a Vampire 4 or 2nd generation FPGA Arcade board or the FPGA Arcade daughter board.
1040 STF, MiST

Atari User
Atari User

Postby 917k » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 am

I used quite a bit when I first bought it, now it usually sits on the shelf and sees seldom use these days. I like the concept of the whole thing but the cores are really a hit and miss affair. Although I am certainly grateful to the people who develop cores, I do think some people also need to realize not everybody who owns a MiST or participates in these forums is a hardware engineer, or even have a basic understanding of hardware, circuit designs, electronic theory, etc. Most of us are probably just end users who want to play some old games or relive some exciting part of our childhood.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 am

I have used the MiST in a few parties, although we always gravitated into 2 player games on the NES. It would be nice if we could have four players but that needs quite a bit of work, both on the core and firmware. Let's hope that with new projects there will be enhancements to cores that could be ported back on this board.

SchneiderCPC664
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SchneiderCPC664 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Yes, 4 players for Dynablaster (Amiga) and Bomberman(NES) sounds great! :cheers:
Last edited by SchneiderCPC664 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:47 am

SchneiderCPC664 wrote:Yes, 4 players for Dynablaster (Amiga) and Bomberman(NES) sound great! :cheers:

As I remember, Amiga (minimig) core already supports 4-joystick mode!

Return to “MiST”