Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

How actively are you using your MiST?

I use my MiST regularly and love it
37%
I could use my MiST more, but there are not enough progress on the cores
32%
I have my MiST stashed on a cupboard
8%
I have sold my MiST (fell out of love for it)
1%
I have never had a MiST (but am thinking of getting one)
10%
I have never had a MiST (and probably never will)
12%

Total votes: 78

nightshadowpt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

How actively are you using your MiST?

Postby nightshadowpt » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:47 am

Since things seem to be pretty quiet around here, I have decided to create this pool to assess how actively is the community using their MiSTs.

I understand that I will have to wait quite a bit to have a full picture (as the not so regular members come by) :)

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: How actively are you using your MiST?

Postby vebxenon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:23 am

:D I use and love MiST board. It's my main computer in my living room.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

DanyPPC
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:48 am

I think it's a great product. I use it everyday.

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:27 pm

I like my 2 MiST :)
After moving to a new home he is replacing much old computers I had and he is one of the best emulation because of the FPGA.
Some cores could be better, but at most I like the AGA AMIGA Core and the CPC.

For ZX Spectrum and other small cores I also got a ZXUNO or a RPi for Amibian :)

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gehstock » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Whoever makes his cross in the second answer is to blame for the fact that it is so. Already do something for the community?
I have often asked for help, there are always the same 5 people who help and test.
As long as Core developers have to work on the Wiki (Till, Sorgelig), they have no time to work on Cores. And when I ask for a simple RGB test (everyone is screaming for RGB cores) and become no answer, then I leave it just, i have buy a Scart Cable(just for the screamer, I do not need it) but my LCD TV eats almost all Frequencies. I have no CRT.
You could also test Cores which are uninteresting for you, just to help the community

Sorry for bad English, I hope it is to understand what I want to say
Not only my Cores for MIST/MISTer : https://github.com/Gehstock

atomicmidi
Atarian
Atarian

Postby atomicmidi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:04 pm

I cannot get mine to work with any of the screens I got. I even got an ancient IBM t540 vga monitor and it won't work. To be fair, it could be something else I'm doing wrong :(

DanyPPC
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:00 pm

I have a TurboChameleon 64 too, but i purchased a MiST because there are more cores available, in order to the quality of most of them, like the spectrum, cpc, amiga, atari, nes ones.
I'm not a developer but i like fpga projects. I can only make test to help the community but i think that we can make a donation to developers if this can help too.

:angel:

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Gehstock wrote:Whoever makes his cross in the second answer is to blame for the fact that it is so. Already do something for the community?
I have often asked for help, there are always the same 5 people who help and test.
As long as Core developers have to work on the Wiki (Till, Sorgelig), they have no time to work on Cores. And when I ask for a simple RGB test (everyone is screaming for RGB cores) and become no answer, then I leave it just, i have buy a Scart Cable(just for the screamer, I do not need it) but my LCD TV eats almost all Frequencies. I have no CRT.
You could also test Cores which are uninteresting for you, just to help the community

Sorry, slightly off topic. Gehstock, I left a bug report on your MiSTer Github. I'm not sure if you saw it.

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gehstock » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Have seen, but not work on it

nightshadowpt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby nightshadowpt » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Gehstock wrote:Whoever makes his cross in the second answer is to blame for the fact that it is so. Already do something for the community?

Your answer is quite interesting. As a newcomer I have to be honest and say that I have never went through the backlog of topics to see if there is anything I could do, but let me tell you:

I am here and ready to help.

I do not have any FPGA skills, but I have some IT background. I am sure that I can help test some of the cores. Strike that... I would love help test some of the cores and contribute to the community.

The objective of this topic was also to elicit comments like yours to see if there is anything we can do to help.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 am

Hi all!

I voted option #1, and didn't find essential to write a comment to this topic, but reading the previous ones, I do.

I like my MiST, and I have a Turbo Chameleon 64 and a Raspberry Pi 3 with Retropie as well.

I think the main problem is that usual MiST owners, like me, don't have the necessary knowledge to program in Verilog/VHDL. Most of the first core portres/developers simply disappeared (i.e. MasterOfGizmo, wsoltys, sebdel), or they are just passive nowadays.

There are only 2-3 persons who still active develop for MiST: the creator/porter of Amstrad cpc 6128, Gehstock and of course Sorgelig.

No one can force developers to make that they don't want to do, and I accept it.

I'm glad if I can help with testing RGB/component out and/or VGA compatibility, and I do this more or less regularly. I also help newbies often, but mostly I don't have the deeper knowledge of the given systems.

OFFTOPIC:
Last week I ordered a GBS 8200 upscaler from China (was temptated by the low price), as arrives will test it especially in aspect of non-standard (i.e. PAL) output cores and make some screenshots.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:28 am

Any devs interested in revisiting the NES core?

I did a lot of testing on the NES core (800+ games) and provided as much support + docs as I could when a core developer (sebdel) was willing to work on the HDL... but sadly he ran out of free time for it and we had to stop. The biggest problems right now are mapper support and handling battery saves on SD card. I know they are hard to do, unfortunately.

Aternatively, I'd be interested in helping with the Gameboy and PC Engine cores. I have real hardware and access to an oscilloscope if that helps in any way.

PS: I have three MiST, which I use in different locations, one MiSTer, a TC64 and an RPi3 (the last two are gathering dust; MiST/MiSTer are my main jam).
Last edited by Newsdee on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 am

DrOG wrote:OFFTOPIC:
Last week I ordered a GBS 8200 upscaler from China (was temptated by the low price), as arrives will test it especially in aspect of non-standard (i.e. PAL) output cores and make some screenshots.

It's a good option to stabilize the VGA signal on the cheap, bit not that good with 50hz (PAL). You can search the forum for my posts on it.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Newsdee wrote:It's a good option to stabilize the VGA signal on the cheap, bit not that good with 50hz (PAL). You can search the forum for my posts on it.

Yes, I read them already:

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=27019
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=30514
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=123399.0

and some more forums/sources/reviews:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3508.0
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?25 ... de-adaptor
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread. ... w-GBS-8200

, but I want to test it myself, and perhaps apply some HW mods following Ian Stedman's advices:

https://ianstedman.wordpress.com/gbs-82xx-experiments/
https://ianstedman.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ts-part-2/

Actually i was seduced by the low price (18$ with shipping). I'll try to combine it with a cheap 'Mini VGA2HDMI Adapter', which handles only standard VGA resolutions and refresh rates. It may be a working and 'futureproof' solution, as the trend is the disappearance of analog inputs from the modern TV-s/monitors (no more VGA or SCART connectors...)

Will share my experiences!

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gehstock » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Need some Jupiter ACE explanations(and Test). If you can help, please contact me via PN.

I have a TurboChameleon 64 too, but i purchased a MiST because there are more cores available, in order to the quality of most of them, like the spectrum, cpc, amiga, atari, nes ones.
I'm not a developer but i like fpga projects. I can only make test to help the community but i think that we can make a donation to developers if this can help too.

We dont need Money, i have a Job and i think Sorgelig too :?:

Someone who writes instructions ,makes Videos or a Homepage would raise the motivation tremendously.

And a certain professionalism(not Exclusively from the Cores) also attracts new users and developers.

Interesting to me would be to know which cores are most used. Why hours, days of work to a core for 3 people?

DanyPPC
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:25 pm

MiST is born as an fpga AtariST clone, in order to an Amiga.

I think AtariST core needs more develope to reach the Amiga Core standard.
Also C64 core is one of the most attractive for users.

In another post where we evaluated the possibility of a snes core I pointed out how perhaps it was better to focus the work on the improvement of some current cores, like AtariST, C64, MSX, Vic20, ecc...

We should open another survey on which cores are most used.
:shrug:

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gehstock » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Atari, Amiga and C64 are to Complex for me. :mrgreen: Mister C64 Core can now write to Disk, someone with a Quartus Installation can port the Changes to Mist

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:18 pm

My favourites are the Atari ST, Amiga AGA and Atari 2600 cores. I use often the Videoton TVC, Vector 06C and Elektronika BK0011M also (I like these interesting East-European computers).

I use the MSX and C64 cores on TC64, as on this platform these are much more stable/mature.

The same situation in aspect of NES & Genesis emus on RPi3.

The one I would be very happy if it would improve the Acorn Archimedes core: it seems to be near (or more) so interesting as the Amiga or Atari ST.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:02 am

Gehstock wrote:Need some Jupiter ACE explanations(and Test). If you can help, please contact me via PN
Interesting to me would be to know which cores are most used. Why hours, days of work to a core for 3 people?

I tested the new Jupiter ACE core, video out seems to be fine in all cases (see attachments). The VGA is the usual non-standard one (50Hz, 576 lines), as in case of other PAL computers.

I couldn't test the tape (audio) in/out, because I'm not familiar with the original hardware.

BTW, found some older screenshots about Bashkiria 2M and Atari 7800 projects, they seem to be interesting...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 am

Gehstock wrote:Atari, Amiga and C64 are to Complex for me. :mrgreen: Mister C64 Core can now write to Disk, someone with a Quartus Installation can port the Changes to Mist

I believe the last guy working on the C64 core for MiST has stopped all work on it.. AFAIK there is no one currently working on it now.

DanyPPC
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby DanyPPC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:37 am

Is there an Atari 7800 Core for MiST in development ?

nightshadowpt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby nightshadowpt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 am

Gehstock wrote:Interesting to me would be to know which cores are most used. Why hours, days of work to a core for 3 people?

I'm not sure if I agree with you on this one.

Even if you only have 3 MiST users for one of your cores, you will still be building a sound foundation for all future FPGA platforms where your core can be converted to.

In the end you can have thousands of users spread across multiple platforms benefiting from your generous work, and we will all be closer to having a [insert platform name here] Core.

EDIT: Anyway, the cores I use the most are Amiga, Atari ST and the ZX Spectrum.
Last edited by nightshadowpt on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanyPPC
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby DanyPPC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 am

DanyPPC wrote:Is there an Atari 7800 Core for MiST in development ?

Ok, i seen it on youtube. We hope in a Mist port.

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gehstock » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:59 am

Still work on it

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wsoltys » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

DrOG wrote:...
I think the main problem is that usual MiST owners, like me, don't have the necessary knowledge to program in Verilog/VHDL. Most of the first core portres/developers simply disappeared (i.e. MasterOfGizmo, wsoltys, sebdel), or they are just passive nowadays.

Still following the progress here but the lack of time remains. Sooner or later I'll buy a "mister" with prebuild extension boards (if available) since I'm still interested in that topic and would like to port some cores to it if not done already. More than that is still beyond my skills and I'll need enough time to come to a state where I was when I left ... :x :D

Return to “MiST”