https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Mist Amiga Partitions (noob)

Postby ericgus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:50 am

Sorgelig wrote:
Newsdee wrote:They had trouble with a partition bigger than 4GB, so this gives them more storage without the hassle :wink:

Minimig has no problem with partitions and drives up to 8GB.
But i think, it's just false assumption that you cannot use primary FAT partition because there is HDF image on this partition. There is no conflicts actually and even primary partition can be mounted as a second HDD while having hdf on the same partition and mounted as primary HDD.

I've looked ad giggledisk before and found it too complicated. And the fact that second HDD can be swapped between FAT and SFS/PFS just adds more mess.
That's why i think PCMCIA support in Minimig could be very helpful.

Oh I agree bout the PCMCIA .. im just trying to see if there is anyway to make it work now with it as it is.. but thanks for the feedback on giggledisk. (I haven't personally tried it yet.. maybe if I am bored ill give it a try)

AdvancedFollower
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AdvancedFollower » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Sorgelig wrote:try 7500MB and see if it will work.
I use 7000MB as second partition. On Minimig i use 1GB of HDF file as a primary boot HDD, and second SD partition as a second HDD. I use SFS for 7GB partition. Works good. Make sure you use quick format. Full format of big partitions may destroy the data.

Hi,
I tried to achieve something similar.
On my 32 GiB (29.72 GB) SD card, I have a ~22.1 GB FAT32 partition containing a 4 GB boot HDF, the actual minimig core etc., then a ~7.62GB empty partition at the end for an SFS/00 partition. This works fine and I can create and use the partition from AmigaOS 3.1 on the Mist (after installing SFS and the scsi.device patch).

However, is there any way I can access the SFS partition directly from the SD-card, e.g. from WinUAE, or directly from Windows (or Linux, if needed)?
Because in order to transfer files to this partition, I have to first copy them into the 4 GB HDF, then put the SD card into the Mist and move the files over to the 7.62 GB partition, which is very time consuming.

I've tried to mount the SD card in WinUAE, but it just sees a big empty 32 GB drive. I think it's because when I create the partition on the MIST, it puts the RDB after the FAT32 partition (at approximately 22.1 GB) but to AmigaOS running on the Mist, this appears to be the beginning of the drive because the Mist only exposes the last ~7.62 GB to Minimig. If I try to create a ~7 GB partition on the SD card in WinUAE, Windows 10 will then see it as one big 29.72GB RAW partition. The ~22 GB FAT32 partition is of course destroyed. The same thing happens if I choose the entire SD Card rather than just Partition 2 from the Mist Hard Drive setup (F12).

kolla
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby kolla » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:05 pm

I only use hdf images on a 32GB card, which then is mounted with fat95 so I can maintain the content from AmigaOS.
-- kolla

AdvancedFollower
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AdvancedFollower » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am

kolla wrote:I only use hdf images on a 32GB card, which then is mounted with fat95 so I can maintain the content from AmigaOS.

Yep, that's the easiest method unless you need more than 4 GB. However it would be very convenient for me to have a ~7.5 GB partition to store a bunch av archives, games, demos, mods etc. (basically most of Aminet between 1994 and 20000 LOL) since the Mist itself doesn't have network connectivity.
Anyway, currently using DirOpus to transfer a couple of gigs from the HDF to the SFS partition. Looks like it's going to take all day but other than that, it works :)

kolla

Postby kolla » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:07 pm

AdvancedFollower wrote:Yep, that's the easiest method unless you need more than 4 GB.

I keep storing stuff straight on the one FAT32 partition, use it pretty much like I use any other partition on the "Amiga side", I even run games and other software right from it. Crazy me :)
-- kolla

AdvancedFollower
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AdvancedFollower » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:50 pm

kolla wrote:
AdvancedFollower wrote:Yep, that's the easiest method unless you need more than 4 GB.

I keep storing stuff straight on the one FAT32 partition, use it pretty much like I use any other partition on the "Amiga side", I even run games and other software right from it. Crazy me :)

The craziest thing is, it doesn't work.

kolla

Postby kolla » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 am

AdvancedFollower wrote:
kolla wrote:
AdvancedFollower wrote:The craziest thing is, it doesn't work.

Works for me [TM]. What exactly does not work for you?
-- kolla

Return to “MiST”