TRS-80 Model I/II/III/IV core possible?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: TRS-80 Model I/II/III/IV core possible?

Postby ericgus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Nice! ill give it a try..! ..

Any status on tape loading? or that still a work in progress?

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:42 pm

sebdel wrote:Update: https://github.com/sebdel/mist-cores/blob/master/trs80/output_files/trs80.rbf

What's new:
- Fixed RAM size (4KB)
- Fixed RAM/ROM corruption (by not using SDRAM :cry:, I just don't get it)

As far as I can tell this is stable, it passes the self test from the level1 User manual (http://www.1000bit.it/support/manuali/trs/Level%201%20Users%20Manual%20%281977%29%28David%20Lien%29%28pdf%29.pdf):
5DVaMCT.jpg

note: The level1.rom file is not necessary anymore, it's embedded.

so far it works great!

And OMG I forgot about that user manual.. thanks for the PDF link.. !!

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Nice red MiST - did you paint it by yourself?
...and could you please write us the Model-No of the HP-Monitor...cant read it on the picture :)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:12 pm

guidol wrote:

Nice red MiST - did you paint it by yourself?
...and could you please write us the Model-No of the HP-Monitor...cant read it on the picture :)

Looks like an HP Compaq LA2405wg

sebdel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby sebdel » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:34 am

It is a HP Compaq LA2405wg. Why? Are there monitors that don't accept the 25.2MHz pixel clock used in most 8 bit cores?
And my MiST was red, straight out of Lotharek. I thought it as weird at first but I got used to it :)

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:34 pm

So happy to find this 2yr + old thread! This is the one place I found a DL link for the core. Going to try it but what's the latest progress with this core? How accurate is the 2 yr old core?

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:18 am

Hi!

The TRS-80 Model I core is incomplete, has no option for loading files and it's video output has poor compatibility.

I recommend to use istead the HT1080z core (it's a hungarian school computer, near exact clone of the TRS-80 Model I), which has a switchable standard VGA/PAL RGB video output and option for loading ROMs.

See details in the topic below:
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=30634&p=320673#p320673

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Ah, very nice DrOG! Thank you. I am messing with it but having trouble loading games. I have no CMD file formats to convert but I found two sample games and some cassettes from the TRS-80. I select the .cas file from the menu and then at the ready prompt I have tried Run, Load, CLOAD, CLOADM and looked online. Do you know what the simple command is to run stuff?

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:52 am

There are two different methods for loading CAS files, depending on program type:

1.) In case of BASIC programs you need to type "CLOAD" command to load them, and after that "RUN" to start.

2.) In case of machine code programs type "SYSTEM", and to the question prompt answer the name of the program (max. 6 characters). Start with typing "/".

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Hmm - let's say I have a path like this in my root SD: SOFTWARE/Sample Games/env.cas

at the VERY start, if I type CLOAD or SYSTEM, in both scenarios I get a quick flash of a "?SN Error" and immediate return to the Ready prompt.
If I FIRST hit enter to seemingly enter its BASIC mode. NOW, typing CLOAD just gives a double asterisks and hangs. If I type CLOAD ENV or env.cas or the full path I come up empty. Same when I type SYSTEM, and at the prompt with ? mark I try all scenarios of path starting with / etc.

I must be off by something simple and silly.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:07 am

OK, let's do it step by step!

1. Start the HT1080z.rbf core.
2. As the 'READY?' prompt appears, press [ENTER] twice. You will see a new 'READY >' prompt at the bottom of the screen.
3. Mount the *.CAS file you want to run from the menu of the MIST (F12->load *.CAS->select the file).
4/A. In case of BASIC programs type 'CLOAD' [ENTER], you will see some '*' falshing at the right top of the screen during loading. As the 'READY >' appears again, type 'RUN' [ENTER].
4/B If you want to run ML programs, type 'SYSTEM', after pushing [ENTER] you will see a '*?' prompt. Type in the name of the file (max. 6 chars) you have chosen from the menu at step 3. without extension (i.e. if you want to start the 'ENV.CAS' file, and you mounted it previously, type in 'ENV' [ENTER]). Flashing asterisks again during loading. To the next '*?' prompt type '/' [ENTER].

rittwage
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rittwage » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 am

DrOG wrote:OK, let's do it step by step!

1. Start the HT1080z.rbf core.
2. As the 'READY?' prompt appears, press [ENTER] twice. You will see a new 'READY >' prompt at the bottom of the screen.
3. Mount the *.CAS file you want to run from the menu of the MIST (F12->load *.CAS->select the file).
4/A. In case of BASIC programs type 'CLOAD' [ENTER], you will see some '*' falshing at the right top of the screen during loading. As the 'READY >' appears again, type 'RUN' [ENTER].
4/B If you want to run ML programs, type 'SYSTEM', after pushing [ENTER] you will see a '*?' prompt. Type in the name of the file (max. 6 chars) you have chosen from the menu at step 3. without extension (i.e. if you want to start the 'ENV.CAS' file, and you mounted it previously, type in 'ENV' [ENTER]). Flashing asterisks again during loading. To the next '*?' prompt type '/' [ENTER].
]

This doesn't work for me with the two files that were "included" with the emulator.

When you type system, then "cas" it just prints some trash to the screen then comes back to *?. If you type "/" then it just gets an error.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:05 am

Hi!

I tried some BASIC games from here (they are mostly hungarian text-adventure games):
http://ht.homeserver.hu/html/programbasic.html
'Pestis' certainly worked as I remember.

And the ML programs:
http://ht.homeserver.hu/html/programsystem.html
Tested 'ENV' yesterday and it worked.

Please try another programs from the links above, or convert some yourself, perhaps you are just unlucky! The core works on my MiST and ericgus had no problem as well (see in the another related topic linked formerly).

Seastalker, what is your experience?

EDIT:
Tried some ML games right now (see attachment):
1. FESTO - You must paint the floor of a maze while ghost are chasing you. Type 'FESTO'.
2. GALAXYLD - Galaxian clone, starts with 'GALAXYLD'.
3. KG - Killer Gorilla, a Donkey Kong clone. Start with 'KG'
4. SCARF - Scarfman, a Pacman clone. Run with 'SCARF'.
5. SPCINV - An Invaders clone. Starts with 'SPCINV'.

Note: Sometimes the core itself does not load properly, if you encounter problems, reload the core from the MiST's 'Firmware & Core' menu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:03 am

How you load it depends on the game itself.. some you have to do via the system method .. others via basic.. it varies .. if possible see the original instructions for the game/file in question.

azesmbog
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby azesmbog » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 am

For the sake of historical justice.
If desired, it is possible to make a kernel with support for FAT16 and already with SD-cards to load program files. I repeat - with a BIG desire

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi!

It would be nice, but as I see not many people are using this core... The CMD2CAS converter, which was uploaded in the another related topic more tan a year ago, was downloaded only 10x, so I doubt we could call it a big desire... :shrug:

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:44 pm

@DrOG

An Update: your directions are very clear and concise. THANK YOU! I was able to load env.cas and galaxy.cas using your SYSTEM instructions. I was also able to load basic files I downloaded from your link by testing bazis.cas and autorall.cas using your CLOAD instructions. Any file loaded INCORRECTLY by the opposite command (using CLOAD when the SYSTEM command is req., etc.) results in a "**" double asterisk in the top right where all one can do seemingly is reset. So, I will have to figure out how to determine a basic file from whatever a ML file is.

I then further tested autorall.cas by renaming it to auto.cas and am happy to report renaming doesn't affect anything negatively. So, I then tried my "Shanghai (1987)(Activision).cas" rom. It never loaded so, learning the max. 6 chars rule from you (thanks again!), I decided to rename the file 'SHANG"
since renaming tested ok with autorall.cas prior. SHANG.cas will not load - neither using CLOAD nor SYSTEM. Tried some others too. Maybe they're some of those TRS-80 games that don't like a Hungarian system? The only others I have for TRS-80 are .ccc file extensions which I think are for the later Color Computer line and likely also incompatible. I will have to find more .cas files or .cmd and convert them.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi!

I'm happy that could help.

I downloaded formerly a lot of TRS-80 Model I programs zipped, and some of them contains a .txt file with loading instructions. Here they are:
http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/f ... %2FModel+1

Some homepages sort programs according to file formats, and they distinguish them by BASIC/M.L. as well, i.e.:
https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/sy ... rchive.htm

A big repo, including .CAS and .CMD files as well (you may try to convert the latter to .CAS using the utility uploaded to the another related topic):
http://willus.com/trs80/

There should not be major incompatibility between original TRS-80 Model I and the Hungarian HT1080z, although it's a clone of a clone (Video Genie).

Regards: Gábor

rittwage
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rittwage » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:59 pm

It is working now... Not sure what changed other than I moved the files to a folder on the SD card.

Also, it's no wonder the TRS80 games work- this HT1080z ROM is 99.9% the same as a the R/S Level II ROM. Really, it's just got the Radio Shack text hacked out of it is the only difference.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:24 am

There are some more minor differences on hardware level :

-The original computer was supplemented with an AY-3-8910 sound generator.
-Contains and additional 8-bit I/O circuit.
-Keyboard is a bit different, very similar to Video Genie System EG-3003 (see screenshots):
-[ENTER] is called [NEW LINE],
-[CLEAR] is on the right side of [BREAK],
-Has no numeric keypad, instead a built-in tape recorder,
-Has [PAGE] and [F1] keys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 am

DrOG wrote:The CMD2CAS converter, which was uploaded in the another related topic more tan a year ago, was downloaded only 10x, so I doubt we could call it a big desire... :shrug:

Well I dont use windows so it was a non-starter for me.. :-/

rittwage
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rittwage » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm

ericgus wrote:
DrOG wrote:The CMD2CAS converter, which was uploaded in the another related topic more tan a year ago, was downloaded only 10x, so I doubt we could call it a big desire... :shrug:

I ran this as a batch on a large group of CMD files. They mostly work. Is there a converter for BAS files?

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 am

rittwage wrote:
ericgus wrote:

I ran this as a batch on a large group of CMD files. They mostly work. Is there a converter for BAS files?

Hi! I don't know about existing one, but found a description (in hungarian) about CAS files containing BAS programs:
http://ht.homeserver.hu/html/konvertformatum.html

rittwage
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rittwage » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:31 pm

The only other difference between this and TRS-80 is that it's 50Hz instead of 60Hz. Should be easy to update this core if source was available...

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:55 am

Selecting VGA mode the core runs at 60Hz for sake of compatibility, 50Hz over RGB is because of Hungary is a PAL (formerly SECAM) area. It is a feature, not a bug!

I'll contact the developer to make source code public...

Cheers: Gábor

Return to “MiST”