https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

hubersn
Atari freak
Atari freak

MiST not working, blinking three times

Postby hubersn » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi altogether,

I talked a friend of mine into buying a MiST board (he is a Schneider CPC veteran, having written some really great games for it). Unfortunately, it does not work. I have used "known good" SD cards that work with my MiST, but no joy.

There are two different states when switching on the MiST: one where the green and yellow LEDs are on and just nothing happens (this is usually the state after completely disconnecting power and switching on for the first time). The other is when the green LED is on and the red LED blinks three times.

The description in the MiST docs for "red blinks three times" sounds a lot like "the board is broken". Anything I can do before sending it back for exchange?

Ricky2u
Atarian
Atarian

Re: MiST not working, blinking three times

Postby Ricky2u » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:37 am

This might sound silly, but have you made sure that you have downloaded the core as a full raw format?

Make sure the file extension ends with .rbf

Due to how your browser downloads the raw file from github it could of downloaded in html form and would not be readable on the MIST.

Cheers.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:08 am

hubersn wrote:The description in the MiST docs for "red blinks three times" sounds a lot like "the board is broken". Anything I can do before sending it back for exchange?

I agree, it sounds like a hardware problem. Since it's brand new I suggest you ask the seller for a repair or replacement.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:27 am

Three times blinking means FPGA configuration failed. Of course it might be a hardware problem eventually, but a broken or improperly downloaded core can cause this as well.

Depending on browsers (?), github binary downloads are a bit nonintuitive to use: you must click on "view raw" to get the right thing. Verify size of the downloaded files.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:59 am

He say he use SD-cards that are working on his own MiST. I assume this means that the card has a core that loads and runs on his MiST, but not his friend's MiST.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

hubersn
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby hubersn » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:08 am

I tried various SD cards with various cores that all work on one MiST but not on the other. So the cores and the cards are certainly not the problem.

Is it possible that a "three blink" error is solved via direct USB firmware upgrade? I am not really keen to shorten JP1 if there is no real jumper fitted, but if there is a chance to revive the MiST without sending it back, I'll try.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:21 pm

I once used an incorrect firmware (for the CPC core) in conjunction to something else which "blocked" my MiST during the firmware update. I don't remember how the blinking was, anyway for your case it might worth trying this (it's what I did for my locked MiST and it worked):
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... heFirmware

Use Sam-Ba but you probably know this since you talked about the JP1. Shortening JP1 is really easy, just use a paper clip or something similar.

Good luck ;)

MiST board are supposed to be checked before sending them to customers, so we can assume your was working once. Could it be during shipping, like some shocks or magnetical fields?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:15 am

If the card works in another mist then it's supposed to work in any other as well.

Just to fully understand: That MIST has never ever worked for you before? No core works? Or just the amstrad one?

Especially this inconsistent behaviour is odd. If it behaves differently from power-on to power-on then this really sounds like a very fundamental problem.

Did you try a different power supply?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

hubersn
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby hubersn » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Indeed, that MiST has never worked before. It has shown exactly two states: three times red blinking, and no red at all with just green and yellow on.

I tried different power supplies, all work in other situations (the working MiST and various boards like RPi, BeagleBoard and PandaBoard).

My friend decided to send it back instead of further experimentation. So thanks for all the suggestions so far.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:39 pm

I am sure the problem will be solved.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Return to “MiST”