Spec core with ZXMMC+

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Spec core with ZXMMC+

Postby Total Eclipse » Wed May 11, 2016 2:00 pm

No issues on the Sanyo screen on this core, so possibly not the cable at fault. I think I'll chalk this one up to just a weird compatibility issue.

It raises an interesting problem though, as each core is processing its video in its own way, and I guess there will be some signals that are not 100% the same as the original hardware.

For example, the Sanyo TV I tried last night runs Sorgelig's speccy core flawlessly. It also runs the Atari ST and PC Engine cores. It does however show some weird flickering at the top and bottom on the Amiga core in certain screen modes (yet runs a real Amiga with no problem), struggles to keep the NES core centered correctly, and can't show the correct colours on the C64 core in PAL mode, only NTSC. My own TV's run the latter 3 cores correctly, yet won't show an image for the PC Engine in either 60HZ VGA or via SCART, and has the previously mentioned problems with the Sorgelig Spectrum core.

This latest Spectrum core does look very promising, so I'll keep trying new versions to see if anything changes. Keep up the good work.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu May 12, 2016 4:28 am

Funny NTSC mode on the C64 just causes my NTSC monitor (Samsung Syncmaster) to just go black.. (the old previous core worked).. so I think for some cores .. yes there are video issues.. I know the current c64 core does.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 12, 2016 4:53 am

How it relative to C64 core?
It's proven that my ZX core has no display issues (at least in PAL RGBS mode). Handmade cables and adapters cannot be count.

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Thu May 12, 2016 7:19 am

I'm not dismissing your core, it's an amazing piece of work. I'm simply pointing out that many cores can exhibit strange compatibility issues on different screens, with no obvious pattern. Your core seems no different in that respect. I've had your core working on a CRT and a Sanyo LCD with no problems, no ghosting. I also have no image issues using my cable with many other cores., including Till's own spectrum one. I believe it's just a weird issue with my TV and that core.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

javidoom
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby javidoom » Thu May 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi.

It seems there is something broken in the last core. Image gets corrupted:

Screenshots from MadMix Game (Toposoft).

PREVIOUS VERSION:

LATEST VERSION:

MadMix 2 suffers too the same. not working ok in the latest core, and correctly in previous.
(This same error occurs in the latest V6z80p core).

Thanks!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 12, 2016 5:32 pm

It looks like collision with ULA+/Timex ports.
TR-DOS also has collision, but easy to fix.
But wit games... probably need to add option to turn on/off ULA+/Timex.. And i don't have free place in OSD :(

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Thu May 12, 2016 6:41 pm

I'll make a new topic for this :) Let's see if it's fixable.

I think I'll have the two cores and change from one to another...

PS: Zona 0 suffers the same issue as MadMix... I believe.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 12, 2016 6:51 pm

I will remove Autoload ESXDOS option in favor to ULA+/Timex disable.
Since we have native support for TRD/TAP, the ESXDOS is not important and always available through F11 if required.

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Thu May 12, 2016 6:53 pm

This would be awesome.

Thanks again for your work!!!!!!!

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Fri May 13, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks very much Sorgelig for your outstanding work!! :cheers: :cheers:

Regards,

Salva
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 14, 2016 9:41 am

New version has been released.
Beside ULA+/Timex option, i've adjusted SDRAM timings close to limits. 28MHz and 56MHz turbo are faster now. It's not important to have such high speed, but this core is most used, so i can get more feedbacks. So, test it and let me know if there are any problems with it.
I'm planing to make (mostly by porting from zxuno) Sam Coupe core, and higher SDRAM timings are important there.

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Sat May 14, 2016 11:38 am

Cool, thanks!!!

I'll test the new core tonight :)

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks for the core and all the quick updates.

mambrino
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mambrino » Sat May 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks Sorgelig, a big improvement! Testing soon ;)

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sat May 14, 2016 5:19 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
javidoom wrote:And just thinking... do you think it's possible to add scanlines to the core? ;)

It's possible but intentionally not implemented. OSD for 8-bit cores limits options by 7, so i don't want to waste option for such meaningless (IMHO) feature.
When MiST firmware will allow more options for cores, i will add it for sure ;)

first I played games in emulators with scanlines disabled, I thought it looked fake and such, and I enjoy "sharp" pixels. But I played mostly in a window, with something like x2 or x3 size from original, so the pixels were well defined. On the MiST, it's full screen (or on a LCD TV), then the pixels are a bit blurry because of interpolation, and it doesn't look that good. So I've become used to play with scanlines instead, and now I like it better that way.

Do you think it could be implemented with some function key shortcuts if all menu options are already taken?

A comparison between the previous ZX core (with less good z80 timing but scanline option, on the left) and the new one on the right:

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Sat May 14, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi!

I've tested many many games, and the turbo mode is working perfectly in all of them.
Some games, at same speed and very fluid, and anothers unplayable because of speed, but working ok.

No strange issues.

mambrino
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mambrino » Sun May 15, 2016 9:30 am

farvardin wrote:Do you think it could be implemented with some function key shortcuts if all menu options are already taken?

Currently Atari 800 core is doing this using left alt key and works perfectly.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sun May 15, 2016 10:02 am

Tried the ULA+ mode and it works great!

Sorgelig, FYI I copied the binaries to the github mist-binaries repo. Should make it easier for new users to find them...

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Sun May 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi.

Just a thing I've encountered last night:

I was loading BOUNDER, from CSW file, and it stops loading and resets... Strange as I remember I played it before, so I tried the 20160509 core and it's working with this version... From version 20160511 onwards, it fails to load.
Something changed?
(Loading with and without turbos).

Regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 am

Finally spent some time with this core.

I noticed one of my monitors has a strange effect where vertical pixels seem to shift slightly whenever I fiddle with the audio cable of the MiST. It's not a big deal but it's the only core that did this, so I thought I'd mention it.

ULA+ and sound works great, made videos of Castlevania and Arkanoid+. The .TAP loading via OSD menu is a fantastic addition but seems slower than going the MMC route. I guess you'd revert to MMC when you already have a large game to play and know where it is. Otherwise the OSD has long filenames so is much more useful.

I didn't understand what the other video modes are. ZX 48K seem to run fine at 50hz, the others give me a weird resolution. Are they supposed to be 800x600 60hz? I get something else, didn't write it down but seems non-standard.

lips2k15
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby lips2k15 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:30 am

This is amazing - Great job on the ULA Plus.... this core is my all time favorite now!!! only thing Id wish for now was more ram if you could do it some how? perhaps 256k? would be great for writing new software like games and demos with the ula plus and the turbo modes extra ram would really polish this to a shine!!! either way thank you and I am very pleased to be using this core due to yyour sacrifice of your own time and effort - truly a great piece of work!!!!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Newsdee wrote:The .TAP loading via OSD menu is a fantastic addition but seems slower than going the MMC route. I guess you'd revert to MMC when you already have a large game to play and know where it is. Otherwise the OSD has long filenames so is much more useful.

If option "Fast Tape load" is ON then loading speed should be the same as with divmmc.

Newsdee wrote:I didn't understand what the other video modes are. ZX 48K seem to run fine at 50hz, the others give me a weird resolution. Are they supposed to be 800x600 60hz? I get something else, didn't write it down but seems non-standard.

ZX 48K - Spectrum 48K ULA timings
ZX 128K - Spectrum 128K ULA timings
Pent (video version is ignored) - Pentagon 128K logic timings.
All timings are presize original timings. This core is intended to use TV PAL RGBS mode. Although scandoubler works, your monitor may not handle all video modes. For example Pentagon has 48.8Hz frame rate which is far from VGA standard.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 16, 2016 4:23 pm

javidoom wrote:Hi.
I was loading BOUNDER, from CSW file, and it stops loading and resets... Strange as I remember I played it before, so I tried the 20160509 core and it's working with this version... From version 20160511 onwards, it fails to load.
Something changed?

I will try to find the source of problem.

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Mon May 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
javidoom wrote:Hi.
Something changed?

I will try to find the source of problem.

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue May 17, 2016 7:35 am

Sorgelig wrote:If option "Fast Tape load" is ON then loading speed should be the same as with divmmc.

I'll double check but I think it is on. DivMMC loads instantly (almost) and the OSD runs a very accelersted audio load (bearable, less than a minute).

sorgelig wrote:ZX 48K - Spectrum 48K ULA timings
ZX 128K - Spectrum 128K ULA timings
Pent (video version is ignored) - Pentagon 128K logic timings.
All timings are presize original timings. This core is intended to use TV PAL RGBS mode. Although scandoubler works, your monitor may not handle all video modes. For example Pentagon has 48.8Hz frame rate which is far from VGA standard.

Ah, this monitor doesn't support 50hz well, so that explains it.

Do you think we could use this core as the main ZX core for thr MIST? Then we document this on the wiki...

Return to “MiST”