https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Acorn Archimedes

Postby Zarchos » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Cyprian wrote:
Zarchos wrote:And with hardware features never used at the time, only recently uncovered (indirectly thanks to me, again, as I asked Steve to come back to the Archie after so many years, to see if he could complete writing that, and he did !) :
https://youtu.be/2gr2YhaXYsk

where I can find a presentation from that meeting?

Nowhere ! (Except on his machine and mine ;-) ).
Steve wants to distribute a perfect product, and he is really not far from completing writing it.
I think I can say without betraying him that it'll even be usable under BASIC.
It'll be a full toolkit for everybody to use, whether you are an ASM or BASIC programmer.
See his QTM package, everything he provided to use his playroutine : that's going to be on par with what he provided us with.

This guy is just awesome !
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Via Skype on YT channel Amiten TV I'll be speaking, tonight, with Carlos about the Acorn Archimedes, for a second video about these machines.

So if you want to enjoy a Spanish and a French guy speaking about a British machine, it is a unique opportunity !
Have mercy :wink:
ROTFL

EDIT : Cancelled due to a pipe rupture in the seller's shop ;-(
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:44 am

Finally happened yesterday evening :
https://youtu.be/ZS3-x9cCZxk

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 am

The true audio capabilities of the Archimedes for you to listen to, with unfiltered sound and an audiophile quality Burr Brown OPA replacing the standard quality IC used by Acorn :
https://youtu.be/bMlCHu8HTSo

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

After some further bashing the Archie on EAB (let's say : business as usual on this board, for everything that is not a cult to the Amiga) and disguised insults (of course withrawn after I over reacted a bit, you know I am French so I am not a sissy, by construction) and as I believe you do not see the Amiga community as very friendly towards the Atari ST, which, to me, represents a fantastic opportunity to get a 68000 based machine to work, PRODUCE, and play with, at an ULTRA COMPETITIVE price, I thought you could read in this text what I believe is the Acorn Archimedes, which to me was the logical choice for Atari users if they wanted to buy another computer (as this was wrtitten in one of the magazines dedicated to the Atari ST, here in France).
This was before the arrival of the Falcon, which to me is a really great computer, and was the logical next purchase for previous Atari owners.
I'd love to own one, it is a pity more were not sold, really.

You can find this text in my latest video on my YT channel, about the doability of Shadow Of The Beast on the Acorn Archimedes. (after a moderator on eab said with sarcasms that he wouldn't see that during his lifetime, implying the Archie is a piece of junk. As so many Amiga owners do for everything which is not Amiga).
I thought enough was enough.

BTW I will sue eab in 2018 over advocating piracy, as I will have a company developping games, as this is something I really didn't like, when the moderators do not condemn piracy and express the idea it didn't reduce the number of originals sold, and thus that made no harm to games makers.
Fortunately EAB is registered in France, and under French law, you just cannot defend ideas against what has been commonly admitted, conclusions coming from courts decisions, after trials, and so on.
So yes, EAB is doomed, and that is a good thing for all software companies to see people arrogantly boasting piracy, stopped and fined.
Good riddance.

https://youtu.be/-aqRrN72E0w

Enjoy !

Xavier Louis Tardy. (Yes, I am serious and I mean business).

To people who do not understand French : for the Arc Angels Powerdemo I explain on a normal Archimedes, with a good playroutine, there is 0.9 MIPS unused per frame. And more probably 1 or 1.1 MIPS.
Why ?
Memory controller was upgraded from MEMC to MEMC1A some time in late 88 or beginning 89, giving a 10% power boost to the Archies.
Understand this demo is made to run at 50 fps even on the Archies with the 'slow' MEMC, read the scrolltext.
Add to that fact the following : the AltMan / Fabrice Mercier MOD playroutine used in the PowerDemo was extremely slow, with a CPU usage from 18 to 25 %.
Better QTM playroutine takes from 10 to 15 %. (I will check again, I believe it is even better than that). Do the maths : on a normal Archie (everybody upgraded their A300 or A400 series Archies with the MEMC1A and from the A3000 onwards MEMC1A was standard) then you have 20% of the CPU power (4.6 MIPS) UNUSED per frame, that is 0.9 MIPS, when running the PowerDemo.
That's facts, you can not deny them.
Near 1 MIPS is more than enough to get all additional bits from the Amiga SOTB missing in the Archie PowerDemo. And there is also available what is already unused CPU power in this PowerDemo, of course I do not know how much that is. So yes you have at least 1 MIPS free.
And the hardware sprite is not even used.
So yes this DamienDickhead is just an asshole, and I piss on his face each and every day God makes. As he is a moderator at eab, ok, let's play : I'll have EAB shut down for advocating piracy.
Expect that for 2018. These people will remember my name and who I am, this way.

VERY IMPORTANT : screen resolution of SOTB on the Amiga is 288x192 (correct me if I am wrong) when on the Archie that is 320x256 for both demos.
That makes 48% more pixels on screen displayed by the Archie, proving how lame the hardware of the Amiga is.
Facts are there have never been any advanced copros in the Amiga : it is a very weak and crippled system. The day it came out, it was quite nice but 2 years later outdated by the superior technology found in the Acorn Archimedes range of computers, or better : workstations.
Note also a megadrive or a PC Engine just smash the so-called 'advanced technology' by Commodore engineers : a bunch of not so good designers, technology wise.
For a machine supposedly thought with gaming in mind, there is not even hardware tiles blitting implemented, that is laughable.
No 256 colour modes, when even the C65 had this feature, or even the MSX2.
Amiga freaks are in a cult, probably because they were amazed as kids, but as adults now, they should reconsider.
The Amiga is great only for demos, where tricks and everything precalculated allow to make you believe the system is capable. Clearly it is not and very limited. I can take all Amiga demos and tell you how it is done, and why you can not get what you see in a game.
The funniest are the 3d demos : basically they all use a reader of precalculated and packed 2d infos and use a damn stupid 2d horizontal segment filling routine. Code is as follows : unzip data little by little, use colour, x start position, length infos already computed for each horizontal segment, and draw all horizontal segments per frame, and this for each frame.
That has nothing to do with the Archie doing everything in realtime : all the 3D computations, the sorting, the 2D segment fillings, and so on ... a really huge work only a powerful computer can do, and not a sluggish machine like the Amoeba.
When the Amiga does it painfully, ultra slowly in 8 or 16 colours, the Archie will do it 3 times faster, and in 256 colours. The Archimedes is TRUE power, the Amoeba is a lame, slow system, with poor hardware accelerated features, crippled with limitations.
Just ask yourself why the horizontal resolution of SOTB is only 288, and vertical only 192.
It is detailed on the Net. It is because all hardware accelerations on the Amiga have HUGE limitations, Amiga freaks never brag about, of course.
Poor people, I pity you.

Back to the Archie.
Now we have an end of a scanline software interrupt precise enough, we can change all the DMAs and in fact all registers in the chips (video and memory controller) which means an ENORMOUS saving of CPU usage, and near 80% of what you can do on the Amiga with its ridiculous and weak custom chips are doable on the Archie, for near 0% CPU usage, when it had to be coded 100% software until now. Hey, Touko from Gamopat, do you read this ? Still want to laugh at the IOC 2 Mhz timer ? Yes, only with a 2 Mhz timer, and thanks to the ARM chip and the MEMC (Memory controller) it is possible to write so quickly new values in all registers of the VIDC and the MEMC1A at the end of the scanline, before the next scanline is displayed. Isn't that a shock ? Do you remember how you laughed at me and the Archie with its 2 Mhz timer ? You moron from the Alps.This alone fucks your Amiga custom chipset, which must have cost a fortune to develop. How laughable it is.

Imagine an Amiga with its custom chips and a 3.5 to 4 MIPS CPU ? There you have it : it is an Archie, base model, running at 8 Mhz, with its 4.6 MIPS ARM2 cpu, and this software Raster Manager (RasterMan).
ROTFL.
DamienDébile, GalagagabollocksAndThief and other freaks I burst out laughing when you bash the fabulous Acorn 32 bit machines. You just have no idea whatsoever of what an Archie can really do now there are some never used before features unleashed, and thus, evidently never used demonstrated so far.

To me the Amiga is worth next to nothing, without an accelerator card, where yes, at last that is a funny little machine.
And then, anyway, we got the ARM3 upgrades (25 to 36 Mhz) (yet again by brilliant British Acorn chip designers), so great and powerful that they are all overclockable from 20 to 50% simply with a faster oscillator and a passive heat dissipator, for our Archies.
Something Amiga owners can just dream of.
Again Acorn demonstrated they were the technological leaders, and the owners of Acorn machines could take the piss out of the Amiga crap produced by Commodore.
And do not forget Acorn also created their own Floating Point Accelerator chip (FPA10) : yes they were the engineers with an ultra high IQ, nothing to do with the amateurs from Commodore.
Never ever the Amiga series could compete with the Acorn Archimedes range of computers and then later on the Acorn RISC Pcs.
Even better Acorn had the RISC PC 2 ready, that was the Phoebe, with staggering characteristics, and sadly they decided to stop manufacturing computers and focus on other businesses (yes, read that : Acorn never got bankrupt like Commodore who screw their suppliers).
It is no surprise the ARM chip, created for the Archimedes, is found just everywhere now : brilliant design and awesome power from a clever design of 4 chips (CPU, memory controller, input output controller, and video + sound controller) from scratch.
When there is no technological legacy of the Amiga, the legacy of the Acorn Archimedes is just OUTSTANDING.
History will remember the Acorn Archimedes as a truely innovative technological leap ; and the Amiga as a toy computer with a decorative keyboard, slow, with an ersatz of custom chips to try to compensate the horrendous and sluggish MC68000.
That is life.
Live with the facts.
The winner took it all.
The Acorn Archimedes took it all.
If you want to deny the truth : look at my avatar : Sophie Wilson has a message for you.

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby EvilFranky » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Who's Sophie Wilson?

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:24 pm

EvilFranky wrote:Who's Sophie Wilson?

The creator of the original ARM instructions set. (Among other great achievements, including all Acorn 8 bit systems, top software like the BBC BASIC, ChangeFSI, and Acorn Replay, proprietary Mpeg2 software solution for the Archies).
Transgender.
Born Roger Wilson.
She developped the ARM chip with Steve Furber, who did the actual transistors design.
Today Sophie works for Broadcom (a company which wouldn't even exist without her and the technologies developped by Acorn), and Steve is a professor in Manchester, and at the head of the Spinnaker project, to mimic the human brain, with massive usage of ARM chips.
Use YT search engine, these 2 brilliant people are great examples of what the UK can produce in terms of tech geniuses, from the Cambridge Silicon Fence.
Excellence incarnated.
Among other prestigious titles received for his merits, Steve Furber was made
Commander of the Order of the British Empire.

Let's not forget Hermann Hauser, Acorn CEO is a
Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

I have never heard about anything for the Commodore or Amiga staff.
Maybe they got a handful of cheap chocolates from Toys'R US ?

SchneiderCPC664
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SchneiderCPC664 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Hello my name is Eliza.

Tell me your problem.

>[]

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:45 pm

SchneiderCPC664 wrote:Hello my name is Eliza.

Tell me your problem.

>[]

010010100100011101011110101010010101101010101010101010111111001011001100101011111001000111111001110011111111111010101010010110010101
:contract:

nightshadowpt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby nightshadowpt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:03 am

And this is why I feel radical fanboys are detrimental to the retro scene...

I appreciate your love for the Archie, but its kind of sad that you have such hate for another machine.

The Archie was greater than the Amiga in some things, the Amiga was greater in others.

Defend your point of view all you want, but try not to offend the other users. Not everyone has the same view of the world you do. Just accept and respect that.

Suing EAB over some statements about software piracy on a platform that has been commercially dead for more than 20 year now? Really? How deep can your hatred go?

Let it go man, embrace the retro community and leave those petty squabbles aside.

We'll all be better off for it.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 am

nightshadowpt wrote:And this is why I feel radical fanboys are detrimental to the retro scene...

I appreciate your love for the Archie, but its kind of sad that you have such hate for another machine.

The Archie was greater than the Amiga in some things, the Amiga was greater in others.

Defend your point of view all you want, but try not to offend the other users. Not everyone has the same view of the world you do. Just accept and respect that.

Suing EAB over some statements about software piracy on a platform that has been commercially dead for more than 20 year now? Really? How deep can your hatred go?

Let it go man, embrace the retro community and leave those petty squabbles aside.

We'll all be better off for it.

There is what you see now, and what has been withdrawn.
I strongly believe in citizenship, the rights going with this idea, and the duties (remember I am French, we have a long history about political ideas, and what it is to make a better society, and protect the weakest who cannot defend themselves. Call that knighthood spirit if you wish, and smile at it, it won't affect me).
A threshold has been crossed, so now the (my) engine has been ignited.
This is like for business now.
I know a lot (really A LOT) about French law, so after just seeing ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, and as I am about to be a games and software developper / publisher, well I am going to defend my business.
And others', who I expect to join me, too.
Exactly what I did in my previous business.
As I said : enough is enough.
No more pseudos to hide : welcome to the real world, the real life.
The rules of Law. They apply to everybody, even the people hidden behind their pseudos.

Thanks for your kind words anyway, I appreciate your conciliating ideas.

Zarchos aka Xavier Louis Tardy.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Zarchos wrote:
BTW I will sue eab in 2018 over advocating piracy, as I will have a company developping games, as this is something I really didn't like, when the moderators do not condemn piracy and express the idea it didn't reduce the number of originals sold, and thus that made no harm to games makers.

Why not start a forum like EAB for the Archie instead? That sounds more constructive to me. I watched the threads on EAB. I honestly don't get what you were trying to do there.

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:14 am

Frank B wrote:
Zarchos wrote:

Why not start a forum like EAB for the Archie instead? That sounds more constructive to me. I watched the threads on EAB. I honestly don't get what you were trying to do there.

You're right.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am

Well, this thread is about MiST Archimedes core and resources for it... Keep on topic, please.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 am

Any nice unique game recommendations that work on this core?

hubersn
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hubersn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Newsdee wrote:Any nice unique game recommendations that work on this core?

Aldebaran, Zarch, Conqueror, Chocks Away, E-Type, Elite.

Elite is "unique" in the sense that it is said to be the best Elite version on any platform.-

Have fun
hubersn

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 am

I do not know if these 3D games work ok on this core, but try to try them (ah ah) :

- Interdictor I and II https://youtu.be/STleOzTa-QE
- Air Supremacy https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +supremacy
- Stunt Racer 2000 https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... tunt+racer
- Black Angels
- Apocalypse https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... apocalypse
- Guile https://youtu.be/EQsDn3b_lUg
- Saloon Cars https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... aloon+cars
- Magnetoids https://youtu.be/ZZA8f84E1Dg
- Mig 29 Fulcrum https://youtu.be/J1NyGag5yic
- Birds Of War https://youtu.be/xO8PA8gEzf8
- Powerband https://youtu.be/D1_IZ5e_5cQ
- Galactic Dan https://youtu.be/bUD3vrkcsNE
- Chopper Force https://youtu.be/QHvcv2Rusn4
- Karma the flight trainer
- Darkwood https://youtu.be/vQWtxvRlAFg
- Xonerator (playable demo) https://youtu.be/x6woYpIw3Sk (Actual core will be too slow for this game).
- Starfighter 3000
- Drifter https://youtu.be/p3REoZ41AhI
More or less 3D games : Tower Of Babel https://youtu.be/uC8GEuKfs1U , Fervour https://youtu.be/misN2jbpo1Y and Arcturus https://youtu.be/E6VgIB8QGAQ

Already cited, and I insist on this fab title for its gameplay : Chocks Away. It is a 'must own, must play' Archie game :
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... hocks+away
and listen to the story of the author (Andrew Hutchings).
I translated to French his interview on my YT channel https://youtu.be/p29ds42we7s
Last edited by Zarchos on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danielb
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby danielb » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 am

DrOG wrote:Hi everyone!

Finally succeeded to run the Archie core on my MIST!

I used the last core modded by Gehstock, downloadable here:

https://github.com/Gehstock/Mist_Cores/ ... des%203000

Hello,

This updated core seems no longer to be available. Would it be possible to reupload it? I am unable to run the Archimedes core and would really like to try it.

Tks,

D.

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gehstock » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:48 am

I'm going to work in a pretty small Hungarian village next time. I think I will have plenty of time to work on these and other cores.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not only my Cores for MIST/MISTer : https://github.com/Gehstock

danielb
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby danielb » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Gehstock wrote:I'm going to work in a pretty small Hungarian village next time. I think I will have plenty of time to work on these and other cores.

Thanks! And thanks for the great job you're doing on the other cores too :)

D.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:20 pm

@Danielb I have no idea how it is possible to help you, but there are some wiz people out there on the stardot forum, for any queries you might have about the Archie guts.
It would be, in particular, interesting that the core be able to run the Raster Manager (RasterMan) which allows all registers of the VIDC and MEMC1A to be redefined, up to 16 times per scanline.
The Archimedes isn't a complex machine at all (nothing comparable to an Atari ST or a Commodore Amiga), but it is true the ARM datasheets are not extremely readable, but as I said, all the subtelties are very well understood by the smart people on stardot.
I might even help a little bit, who knows :lol:

danielb
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby danielb » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm afraid it still won't work on my Mist (a 1.3+) I just get a black screen. I have tried almost all of the cores, and this is the only one that does not work at all.

I'd be happy to help debugging it, but I know nothing about FPGA programming.

D.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:56 am

Now with English subtitles, about Shadow Of The Beast the Archie is supposed not to be able to have , NEVER ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aqRrN7 ... e=youtu.be
You will learn about the machine if you are interested by technical, proven, easy to check, facts about the Archie.
8)

Return to “MiST”