https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: AGA core for mist

Postby chaos » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:05 am

mahen: not really ;)

What does 'works perfectly' mean to you? Do the games that didn't work for AmigOS2 work for you? Do you have ROM updates enabled or not? Same kickstart? Same config? Could I get the hardfile image and the kickstart ROM, so I can test this myself?
** my minimig builds: http://somuch.guru/ **

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 am

Chaos : well, he sent me the content of his sd so I used the same config, kickstart, exact same hardfile. I have no error at boot time and tried dozens of games with no pb.
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby chaos » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:37 am

mahen: do you have ROM updates enabled or not? Can you send me his hardfile image, so I can test this myself?

AmigOS2: can you send me a list of games that don't work for you with the ROM update disabled?

AmigOS2
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AmigOS2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:33 pm

chaos wrote:mahen: not really ;)

What does 'works perfectly' mean to you? Do the games that didn't work for AmigOS2 work for you? Do you have ROM updates enabled or not? Same kickstart? Same config? Could I get the hardfile image and the kickstart ROM, so I can test this myself?

@chaos - I sent you an email with a link to download a copy of the image stored in my SD. Could you please confirm receiving it? Thank you.

And by the way, the problem that I have is not a mere games compatibility problem, it's that the system crashes with v1.2.

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby chaos » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi AmigaOS2.

I received your email and tried your setup. There is no minimig-mist version 1.2 on the shared Dropbox account. Your config for Workbench has wrong settings - 68000, ECS, no fast memory. It doesn't seem you disabled the ROM updates - a dead giveaway is that the minimig reboots once, when you load Workbench. You still didn't send me a list of games that don't work for you. Or a screenshot of any other freezes, reboots, whatever. I still don't know what happens (and what you meant) with 'change from AGA to ECS core'.

We need to start from the beginning.

1. delete all minimig*.rbf, core.rbf, and firmware.upg, firmware.bin files from your SD card.
2. delete all minimig*.cfg files from your SD card.
3. download the minimig-mist v1.2 release here: http://meditation.somuch.guru/minimig/f ... st-1_2.zip
4. extract all files from the archive to the root of your SD card
5. download the updated minimig release here: http://meditation.somuch.guru/minimig/f ... 160224.zip
6. extract the file from the archive to the root of your SD card
7. rename the file minimig_mist.rbf (the file from the last archive) to core.rbf
8. start MiST
9. wait for the core to stop loading, open OSD menu (F12), go to the far right in the menu, enter Firmware & Core menu, make sure you ARM s/w ver. is "ATH160221". Otherwise run update.
10. set the config for chipset: CPU:68020, Turbo:None, Video:PAL, Chipset:AGA, CD32Pad:Off.
11. set the config for memory: CHIP:2, SLOW:none, FAST:24, ROM:KICK, HRTmon:disabled
12. set the config for video any way you like.
13. set the config for harddisk: IDE:on, Master: Hardfile (filesys), select file Workbench-3.9, go to exit option and press enter.
14. the OSD menu will ask to reset minimig, select yes and press enter
15. Enter OSD menu again, go to save "Save configuration", and select 1, press enter

This should give you a nice clean setup, hopefully with Workbench already loaded.

If workbench failed to load properly, reboot, enter early startup menu (hold both mouse buttons when booting), select boot with no startup sequence.
When the shell loads, enter: "ed s:startup-sequence", make sure the proper file is opened and edit the start of the file to look like the attached picture. Reboot. If you still have problems, please let me know what they are, and make a screenshot of it.

If everything works to here, you're on a good way. Do remember that NOT ALL GAMES work with the current release, it seems the CPU core still has some bugs - anytime you get an AUTOVECTOR error or anything related to interrupts when running WHDload slaves, that is the CPU core's fault.

Let me know how it goes. Send me a list of games not working (but *after* you've disabled ROM updates, also, make sure you don't have 0 other mem when workbench loads - left click on empty workbench space, and you will see amount of free memory on the top).

As for the games you did mention: Subwar2050 works for me. I didn't find the Streetfighter game you mentioned on your harddisk, so I couldn't try it, but I do remember that at least one version of the Street fighter games doesn't work. Desert Strike didn't work for me either, but it worked once I added NOCACHE, NOAUTOVEC & NOVBRMOVE tooltypes to the games' slave icon. Try that and report if it works for you. (Hint: it is wise to check the WHDload page for the game slave, it might have some pointers what might be required to make the game work)

Cheers!

Oh, and please confirm receiving this post ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi guys ! Did any of you manage to get ScummVM AGA (version 1.5 released last year) running on the MiST ? I intended to use it with my Roland SC-55mk2 hardware synthesizer... In order both to sound amazing and make the emulation a little faster :)

Earlier, I managed to get to the menu but it crashed when trying to add a game. I realized I was using AHI version 6.x while version 4.x was provided with ScummVM (supposedly faster).
After reverting to AHI 4.x, I only get a black screen. (no signal)
Any idea ?
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

AmigOS2
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AmigOS2 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:57 am

chaos wrote:Hi AmigaOS2.

I received your email and tried your setup. There is no minimig-mist version 1.2 on the shared Dropbox account. Your config for Workbench has wrong settings - 68000, ECS, no fast memory. It doesn't seem you disabled the ROM updates - a dead giveaway is that the minimig reboots once, when you load Workbench. You still didn't send me a list of games that don't work for you. Or a screenshot of any other freezes, reboots, whatever. I still don't know what happens (and what you meant) with 'change from AGA to ECS core'.

We need to start from the beginning.

1. delete all minimig*.rbf, core.rbf, and firmware.upg, firmware.bin files from your SD card.
2. delete all minimig*.cfg files from your SD card.
3. download the minimig-mist v1.2 release here: http://meditation.somuch.guru/minimig/f ... st-1_2.zip
4. extract all files from the archive to the root of your SD card
5. download the updated minimig release here: http://meditation.somuch.guru/minimig/f ... 160224.zip
6. extract the file from the archive to the root of your SD card
7. rename the file minimig_mist.rbf (the file from the last archive) to core.rbf
8. start MiST
9. wait for the core to stop loading, open OSD menu (F12), go to the far right in the menu, enter Firmware & Core menu, make sure you ARM s/w ver. is "ATH160221". Otherwise run update.
10. set the config for chipset: CPU:68020, Turbo:None, Video:PAL, Chipset:AGA, CD32Pad:Off.
11. set the config for memory: CHIP:2, SLOW:none, FAST:24, ROM:KICK, HRTmon:disabled
12. set the config for video any way you like.
13. set the config for harddisk: IDE:on, Master: Hardfile (filesys), select file Workbench-3.9, go to exit option and press enter.
14. the OSD menu will ask to reset minimig, select yes and press enter
15. Enter OSD menu again, go to save "Save configuration", and select 1, press enter

This should give you a nice clean setup, hopefully with Workbench already loaded.

If workbench failed to load properly, reboot, enter early startup menu (hold both mouse buttons when booting), select boot with no startup sequence.
When the shell loads, enter: "ed s:startup-sequence", make sure the proper file is opened and edit the start of the file to look like the attached picture. Reboot. If you still have problems, please let me know what they are, and make a screenshot of it.

If everything works to here, you're on a good way. Do remember that NOT ALL GAMES work with the current release, it seems the CPU core still has some bugs - anytime you get an AUTOVECTOR error or anything related to interrupts when running WHDload slaves, that is the CPU core's fault.

Let me know how it goes. Send me a list of games not working (but *after* you've disabled ROM updates, also, make sure you don't have 0 other mem when workbench loads - left click on empty workbench space, and you will see amount of free memory on the top).

As for the games you did mention: Subwar2050 works for me. I didn't find the Streetfighter game you mentioned on your harddisk, so I couldn't try it, but I do remember that at least one version of the Street fighter games doesn't work. Desert Strike didn't work for me either, but it worked once I added NOCACHE, NOAUTOVEC & NOVBRMOVE tooltypes to the games' slave icon. Try that and report if it works for you. (Hint: it is wise to check the WHDload page for the game slave, it might have some pointers what might be required to make the game work)

Cheers!

Oh, and please confirm receiving this post ;)

@Chaos - Sorry for my lack of response. I've been on a business trip for quite a while. I will come back home this Friday, Apr. 22, when I will give your guide a try and report back with news. Thank you very much for taking the time to put together this guide for me. :cheers:

johey
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby johey » Tue May 10, 2016 6:24 am

Regarding ethernet...

mahen wrote:Not yet, but it's being developed :)

Any updates on this one? Will it support the same ethernet adapter, D-Link E100, as the ST core?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:12 pm

For the records: I just submitted a patch to Chaos that fixes the OSD in productivity modes.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

lips2k15
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby lips2k15 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:37 pm

I know this is unrelated but whats the chance of somebody compiling a core with a faster cpu? Id love to try amiduke or amiquake on the mist.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Where is such a cpu supposed to come from? I know the guys behind the vampire board have a faster cpu core. I even talked to one of them a few years ago and even sent them a mist for evaluation. They never replied (nor did they return the mist). So I must assume that cooperation is not their cup of tea. Who else has a faster cpu in hdl?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

lips2k15
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby lips2k15 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:40 pm

I am not sure - i dont know how all this stuff works it was a just a question... i meant no disrespect.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:59 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:Where is such a cpu supposed to come from? I know the guys behind the vampire board have a faster cpu core. I even talked to one of them a few years ago and even sent them a mist for evaluation. They never replied (nor did they return the mist). So I must assume that cooperation is not their cup of tea. Who else has a faster cpu in hdl?

thats unfortunate to hear about the vampire guys .. and some what rude to be honest .. they could at least return the unit..

anyway .. I did some googling and not that I found a a core but I did find this interesting discussion talking about the various merits of the 68000 series processors over on the fpga arcade forums .. it discusses various pros and cons and differences with the 20, 30, 40 and 60 variants.. one thing I forgot was some of the later cpus also included FPUs and the even later ones had MMU units too.. but its worth a read.. the 20 seems to be the "Sweetspot" for the series..

http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/viewtop ... id=232&p=4

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:09 am

They are called 020, 030, 040 and 060 ((sixty-eight) oh-twenty, oh-thirty, oh-fourty and oh-sixty), please... :)
-- kolla

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:28 am

One approach could be to have optional Amiga cores aimed at system friendly productivity software rather than timing perfect compatibility with legacy games. For example, flicker free (SVGA compliant) 800x600 and 1024x768 modes would be awesome, like AGA+IndivisionAGA can do.
-- kolla

lips2k15
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby lips2k15 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:02 am

Yes that is basically amiga rtg and would be a great help... as for what i said about a faster cpu well cant we just up the clock in the minimig source so the cpu is clocked faster?

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:39 am

No need for RTG, really.
-- kolla

lips2k15
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby lips2k15 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:11 pm

So rtg without the hassle of rtg software amiga side basically? Sounds good too me!

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Not RTG, just AGA modes.
-- kolla

lips2k15
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby lips2k15 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:25 pm

So aga modes but optimized for thr mists vga output? Could be good to have custom display driver amiga side too - i love the mist minimig core and have 3 amigas too so any help and research you may need just give me a nudge!

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:39 pm

kolla wrote:They are called 020, 030, 040 and 060 ((sixty-eight) oh-twenty, oh-thirty, oh-fourty and oh-sixty), please... :)

I was being lazy..

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Yes, AGA implementation with focus on VGA output and system friendly productivity software. Anyways, just an idea, I have no clue if makes sense though :)
-- kolla

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:01 pm

It would even be cool to have A2024 modes converted to something functional ;)
-- kolla

lips2k15
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby lips2k15 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:07 am

Is there any forward movement with this? Could the cpu speed be clocked up?

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:53 pm

lips2k15 wrote:Is there any forward movement with this? Could the cpu speed be clocked up?

This might be better asked with the person who maintains the Amiga core .. he has his own separate site.

http://somuch.guru/minimig/minimig-mist/

Return to “MiST”