AGA core for mist

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

AmigOS2
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: AGA core for mist

Postby AmigOS2 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:01 pm

I noticed that every time that I boot up the MiST, using the Amiga AGA core the available memory is set to zero (0). So after rebooting I get back 24.1 million kb.

Is there a problem with the original configuration in the microSD card?

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi ! I noticed a serious keyboard issue using both the latest firmware and the one provided in the Minimig AGA 1.1 archive.

When typing a little quickly (in the terminal for instance) I can clearly see the text is still being displayed afterwards. I tried this with 2 keyboard and it gives the same result. Also, I think it does affect mouse and joystick emulation on the keyboard as both are not very responsive / have a strange behaviour in some cases. I first noticed the problem when having much trouble in a Slam Tilt mini-game when you have to hit keys very fast :) But it's very visible in the Amiga Shell !

Do you also notice this issue ?
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:53 pm

On mine, with latest firmware (ATH151118) and minimig 1.1 20150910, no latency at all when typing, both on AGA + KS3.5 + WB 3.5 or on ECS + KS1.3 + WB 1.33 (from floppy images, with classicWB on HD image the shell is crashing, probably my HD install is defective)

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:48 am

Very strange, we use the same firmware / core combination and I tried several keyboards. So it's either a hardware issue (for instance, my previous MiST triggered issues that were not present on other units, due to differences in the memory timings or so :) or due to my WB 3.1 install (which is pretty straightforward ; I only have a couple of common patches -- and it wouldn't occur in games !). Checking...

(well, there might be other factors, like the .ini file, or the presence of HRTMON etc. ?)

Edit : I also have a slight delay in the OSD when typing arrow keys very quickly for instance left-right very fast to switch the OSD settings screens but I'm almost sure it's unrelated)

Edit 2 : no delay in the Atari ST core (tried with "Le Rédacteur")

Edit 3 : same delay when booting from the WB3.1 adf from AmigaForever 2016

Edit 4 : my current MiST is from the very last batch produced recently and delivered in the end of november. I do not remember seeing this issue with my previous MiST with the exact same SD content but I'm not 100% sure. I think I would remember as it's pretty obvious when using the keyboard, unless you type slowly :)

Roman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Roman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:35 pm

I used to have a working configuration some 2 weeks ago - a 'minimig-mist-v1.1' core, connected using the Sandberg VGA to HDMI converter (with removed pin). This was a 'bringup', which (after several attempts) eventually succeeded.

Now I have reorganized my desk, reconnected all the cables, and created the SD card content from scratch (unpacked the archive, renamed the core to core.rbf, copied the AROS.rom to kick.rom). And the MIST doesn't seem to function properly anymore - it loads the core (I can see fast-blinking red led for about 2 seconds), and after about 5 seconds of inactivity the red let lights on (it is on constantly). The display is black all the time.

Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong? I don't remember the red led behaving like this...

Roman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Roman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:18 am

Ok, I have found the problem... seems to be a power supply issue.

MIST connected to the PC using 1.8m USB cable - works correctly
MIST connected to USB charger (*) using 1.8m USB cable - does not work (as described above)
MIST connected to USB charger (*) using 15cm USB cable - works

What the...

(*) tried both ASUS Nexus tablet USB charger and Modecom dual USB charger (1A + 2.4A), on both ports

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:24 am

I think the USB port on a PC are only 0.5 A.
I have a micro usb PSU designed for the Raspberry Pi on my MiST, 2A, the cable is like 2 m and no problem so far. Maybe your usb chargers are not stable enough or I don't know what. I have a 2A charger, which works OK for my phone, but my tablet charge something like 1% every 1/2 hour with it. With another charger (1.5 A), the tablet charge much faster...

Roman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Roman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:32 pm

My motherboard is a quality one, it has some fast-charging capability on the front-panel USB ports; I wouldn't be surprised if it could actually deliver more power then 0.5A. Nevertheless, the problem is solved.

I have played a bit more with the AGA core - should be nice for gaming (so far I have tried ADF's only, I didn't install the WHDLoad yet), all the animation looks somehow.. more fluent than in case of FS-UAE. Sound quality is rather poor, though - I hope someday we will be able to redirect the audio to external USB DAC...

Regarding non-gaming software - well, a lot of things fails. FBlit produces terrible graphics artefacts, I had to disable it. PFS3 does not work - complains it cannot access the disk using neither SCSI-direct, nor the 64-bit interface. SFS 1.279 also does not work, only prints error - it seems I am stuck with FFS. I also had to remove the KingCON handler 40.4 from my kickstart, as it causes the system to crash while booting...

Roman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Roman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:22 am

Besides, something seems to be really broken with the HD controller. I wanted to test which scsi.device is the fastest: BoingBag 2, Cosmos one or DonAdan one. Unfortunately, only the first one works - the patched ones only produce a non-DOS disk requester.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:18 am

Cosmos codes clever stuff that breaks on a lot of real hardware too.
-- kolla

rrmagro
Atari User
Atari User

Postby rrmagro » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Can this be the same problem/error why AROS doesn't run?

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:25 am

Seems plausible. I guess the best would be a dedicated scsi.device for Minimig systems, removing the overhead and compatibility issues with Gayle implementations.
-- kolla

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:10 pm

Hi ! Just wanted to let you know guys that my keyboard input lag issue is *fixed* by a firmware update (not sure whether this is a public version, though, it was sent to me by Rok).

Thank you team !!

Amedia
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Amedia » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:16 am

Hi Mahen,

Would be great if it also fixes the graphic's glitches in Puzzle Bubble and Bubble Heroes (guru).

Thanks, Laurent and Franck
Amedia Computer
Laurent - Faranheit
Amedia Computer
Amiga software and hardware / FPGA Clone reseller
69, Avenue de la Libération
F-57530 Courcelles-Chaussy
France
Site : http://amiga.amedia-computer.com
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:42 pm

The last few weeks i fixed the 68020 bitfield instructions in the tg68k cpu core we use. This means that one pretty important part of the 68020 has been fixed. I've released an updated version of the Minimig AGA core based on this:

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... 160123.rbf

The extent of improvement is not clear to me. But it seems this has fixed quite a lot of software.

Have fun!

And thanks to MikeJ from FPGA arcade for bugging me to fix these :-)
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:03 pm

Roman wrote:FBlit produces terrible graphics artefacts, I had to disable it.

This one has definitely been fixed. Some others maybe as well ...
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

fpgaarcade
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby fpgaarcade » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Well, otherwise I would have had to fix them myself!
Great work.
/Mike

Amedia
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Amedia » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:06 am

Hi ;)
Great to see how the two teams can help each other ;)

Good news, I'll test Bubble Heroes with this new release as soon as possible ;)

Thanks, Laurent and Franck
Amedia Computer
Laurent - Faranheit
Amedia Computer
Amiga software and hardware / FPGA Clone reseller
69, Avenue de la Libération
F-57530 Courcelles-Chaussy
France
Site : http://amiga.amedia-computer.com
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks a lot for this essential fix !! Fblit now works among others !!

(off topic : Fblit doesn't seem to save chip ram nor speed up the icons display ; any idea ?)

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:05 am

Amedia wrote:Great to see how the two teams can help each other ;)

Yes, in the end that's really a benefit for everybody. But it's also a requirement since the TG68K and the original Minimig came under GPL license and our Minimig AGA is still based on the original code.

AngelikaZ
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AngelikaZ » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Yes, thanks MiG!

Now Classic Workbench is good, with all functions on - no strips any more and is running in deep of the directory.
In previous versions it hangs, so i can´t start sysinfo - now i can!

IMG_0458a.jpg

IMG_0459-a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Estrayk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:52 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:The last few weeks i fixed the 68020 bitfield instructions in the tg68k cpu core we use. This means that one pretty important part of the 68020 has been fixed. I've released an updated version of the Minimig AGA core based on this:

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... 160123.rbf

The extent of improvement is not clear to me. But it seems this has fixed quite a lot of software.

Have fun!

And thanks to MikeJ from FPGA arcade for bugging me to fix these :-)

Something is fixed YES!

https://youtu.be/HD5znZGIvP4
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:22 am

Definitely ! No more corruption with FBlit, no more crash in Virocop AGA for instance. I'm sure there are dozens of games that will work better now but I only tested a couple of them :)

@Amedia : Bubble Heroes works, but there are graphical glitches which are probably not CPU related.

Thanks again, MasterOfGizmo & friends !

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:28 am

Wow! Thanks to the 68020 improvements, now Xtreme Racing is really playable!! :D Enemy cars AI now works OK, so great! :cheers:

Also, Alien Breed: Tower Assault is working like a charm :D

Now just waiting to see Nexus 9 demo fully working, Alien Breed 3D, Pierre is Out of Launch or Pinball Illusions, but well, just graphical fixes.

Thanks for your great work! MiST board is so great, and that's the best Amiga clone I've ever seen!

Regards,

Salva
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:22 pm

You meant the nexus7 demo? The pixar lamp part of that demo has actually been fixed by the cpu update. But there are still a few other issues.

I am sure other boards will follow soon as the MIST is making all it's code public so other can benefit from this as well.

Return to “MiST”