AGA core for mist

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

rrmagro
Atari User
Atari User

Re: AGA core for mist

Postby rrmagro » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:15 am

Edited: Sorry guys I better go to sleep.

Hi guys I was installing software in a hdd, and each time the I had to copy some bigger file (grater than a normal disk) I had two options or multiple discs ( fdd ) or unplug the system and plug the sdcard in UAE and mount two hard discs so I could copy files from one to another.

So my question is.

Is there the possibility to mount two or more hard drives in the mist or is there any other way to do it?

Probably this could work as well for other cores like de st.

Regards

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:36 am

rrmagro wrote:Edited: Sorry guys I better go to sleep.

Hi guys I was installing software in a hdd, and each time the I had to copy some bigger file (grater than a normal disk) I had two options or multiple discs ( fdd ) or unplug the system and plug the sdcard in UAE and mount two hard discs so I could copy files from one to another.

So my question is.

Is there the possibility to mount two or more hard drives in the mist or is there any other way to do it?

Probably this could work as well for other cores like de st.

Regards

I "ported" my old Amiga 3000 that had multiple harddisks/partitions to a single HDF file .. what I did was just make one big HDF blank file (2gb I think) and then mount that, boot the amiga with workbench disks and then use the HD toolbox to partition the disk into as many parts as you need (I needed 6 of them) .. from there just do a normal install .. you can then use that HDF file under winuae or whatever desktop amiga emulator you use and move your files into the partitions.

I used this guide as a reference (more so the latter Amiga OS steps after the minimig specific since its been a very long time since I partitioned an Amiga hard drive)

http://amiga.amedia-computer.com/docume ... nglish.pdf

ex68k
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ex68k » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:41 pm

lips2k15 wrote:Is there any forward movement with this? Could the cpu speed be clocked up?

Yes, some people are looking into now and than. But, to really speed it up, the cpu-core has to be completely rewritten.
And as the one we have works, not everybody thinks it is worth it ;-)

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:38 am

ericgus wrote:
I "ported" my old Amiga 3000 that had multiple harddisks/partitions to a single HDF file .. what I did was just make one big HDF blank file (2gb I think) and then mount that, boot the amiga with workbench disks and then use the HD toolbox to partition the disk into as many parts as you need (I needed 6 of them) .. from there just do a normal install .. you can then use that HDF file under winuae or whatever desktop amiga emulator you use and move your files into the partitions.

I used this guide as a reference (more so the latter Amiga OS steps after the minimig specific since its been a very long time since I partitioned an Amiga hard drive)

http://amiga.amedia-computer.com/docume ... nglish.pdf

I'm doing that, but I'm also running two HDF files, one of them with multiple partitions inside of it.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:41 am

Hi ! Just connected my MIDI expander (Sound Canvas) to my MiST : it works like a charm. I can play midi files perfectly with delitracker. Also works out of the box from Octamed Sound Studio and Bars'n'Pipes 2.5.

I would love to get the latest ScummVM AGA to work as it supports camd.library ; I would instantly get a much improved sound at zero CPU cost. However it always crashes here (when clicking on ADD GAME or even before depending on the AHI version). Did any of you get a better experience with ScummVM + AGA core ?
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

javidoom
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby javidoom » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 am

Hi.

I remember when I was young, to see a demo with a hires screen with 4096 colors on it. I've searched the demo and it's:

Demo Reel 3 Newtek

Tried it on Mist with latest core/firmware and the screen it's corrupted:

Tried different video configurations and always the same corrupted image. So I thought it was a normal issue, but tried it on the Minimig board 1.1 and the screen shows correctly:

Has anyone tried it and make it work in Mist?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Interesting, is that with 15kHz or 30kHz? I will try when I am home again.
-- kolla

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi.

I'm using vga cable, so 30khz.

Regards.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 pm

I get the same results, this demo does some trickery to produce this HAM output.
-- kolla

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:10 am

I can also confirm I get the same problem .. and to kollas point yes this does somekind of copper trick to get the hi-res ham..

Digi-View has always been known for it's exceptional image processing capabilities. By using the
previously mentioned techniques, Digi-View has created the highest quality 4,096 color HAM images on the
Amiga. NewTek's new Dynamic HAM eliminates most if not all of the HAM side effects mentioned above.
By taking the Enhanced HAM mode (4096+) one step further, we can make an even sharper picture without
the typical HAM fringe effect. Dynamic HAM also uses the 16 color palette, but changes it on each line, as
opposed to the use of the same palette for the whole screen (as in 4096+).
Dynamic HiRes brings new color depth to the Amiga's HiRes mode. Sharp, crisp detail never seen
before on an Amiga is now possible. By combining the HiRes mode with the Dynamic display technology,
we change the 16 color palette on each scan line to provide up to 4,096 colors on a HiRes screen, including
Overscan mode.
Due to the way Dynamic display technology works, the most startling results will be obtained with
images that have more vertical color range. Digi-View 4.0 uses all of the Amiga's powerto maintain a Dynamic
Mode and therefore the image cannot be held stable when the mouse is moved or menus are pulled down. While
NewTek fully supports and strongly believes in the multitasking philosophy of the Amiga, Digi-View 4.0 must
take complete control of your Amiga's 68000 processor and other co-processors for Dynamic displays. While
in Dynamic mode Digi-View 4.0 shuts down all other tasks to gain the horsepower required. As soon as
Dynamic Mode is exited all other tasks will resume undisturbed. We hope our customers will understand that
when pushing the Amiga to the very edge some rules will be broken.

Screen Resolution:
NTSC
Number Screen
of colors Resolution in Pixels
2-32, 64, 4096,Dynamic HAM (320 or 352 or 384) x (200 or 240)
(320 or 352 or 384) x (400 or 480)
2-16 (640 or 704 or 768) x (200 or 240)
(640 or 704 or 768) x (400 or 480)
Dynamic HiRes (640 or 7(4) x (200 or 240)
(640 or 7(4) x (400 or 480l
PAL'
Number Screen
of colors Resolution in Pixels
2-32, 64, 4096,Dynamic HAM (320 or 352 or 384) x (256 or 296)
(320 or 352 or 384) x (512 or 592)
2-16 (640 or 704 or 768) x (256 or 296)
(640 or 704 or 768) x (512 or 592)
Dynamic HiRes (640 or 7(4) x (256 or 296)
(640 or 7(4) x (512 or 592)

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi!

I've been trying to play Hunter on the Minimig 1.1 board, and in the MIST with the latest version of the Amiga core, but I can get it working...

I'm looking for every version of the ADF files, but no one worked for me. It hangs loading the game with a black screen.
Does it need any special configuration or has anyone made it work?

Hunter from Activision: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=512

Thanks!

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:23 pm

What configuration are you using AGA? ECS? OCS? FastRam? ChipRam? Kickstart version???

While I am not familiar with this game it might not work with say AGA chipset and 68020 .. try another configuration thats close to what the game recommends .. i.e. A500 .. ks 1.3 etc..

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi.

I'm using:

Kickstart 1.3
1Mb chip 0,5Mb slow (tried a lot of comb. too)
no HD
ECS (and OCS...)
Single speed 1x Floppy
... The more A500 similar possible.

It's odd, as seems a loading error, as it keep searching the disk drive or stuck...
The same as Minimig board 1.1.

Regards.

breiztiger

Postby breiztiger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi

Perhaps it's a good option to have 3 base config like a500, a600 and a1200 with kick name for each (kick13.rom, kick205.rom ans kick31.rom) on sd card and cpu, ram, chipset allready force

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 pm

When I can I will try it on my MiST and see if I can make any headway with it.. if not it might be a good idea to report the problem over on the Minimig's developer's GiTHUB page.. but be as specific as you can as to how to recreate the problem (i.e. exactly what settings you are using, core version, mist firmware version, etc (more details the better)) .. links to any adf images etc..

edit: (a link to the github page would be nice)

https://github.com/rkrajnc/minimig-mist/issues

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:15 am

Update.

Looking for the configuration I used, I've tried again the standar ram configuration, and... HUNTER WORKING?!!!

It was memory configuration!

Using a standar A500 with expansion ram works.

0,5 chip and 0,5 slow. Different ram configurations doesn't work.

Regards!!

((It's odd... I swear I tried this config.... ... ... ))

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Glad you sorted it out ..! .. I had a similar issue with the Atari ST core, seemed one game I wanted to play only worked with an old TOS 1.0 boot disk and a really basic configuration.. otherwise it would bomb.. (took me a while to recall that from all those years ago)

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:18 pm

@ javidoom : you're probably well aware of this but... you can work around many compatibility issues by using WHDLoad versions of games. You need to set up a proper hardfile beforehand, though.

javidoom

Postby javidoom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:26 am

mahen wrote:@ javidoom : you're probably well aware of this but... you can work around many compatibility issues by using WHDLoad versions of games. You need to set up a proper hardfile beforehand, though.

Hi.

Yes, I know, but many times I love to play as I played back in the 90's, loading the disks, tapes, use the trainers, see the intros, cracktros, etc...

Every ADF game I tried, worked as a charm, but with Hunter, it was impossible, so I though it would be a bug in the core... gladly, it wasn't. :)

Thanks anyway!
Regards.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:35 am

You make a point :) Love those cracktros and I have the feeling using floppies would enable to focus more on a given game. Whdload makes it way too easy to exist a game and start another one :)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Is there a good whdload setup/using tutorial around? something someone could point me at..

Amedia
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Amedia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 am

Hi ;)
With core from 24th of february, there is still some graphic's glitches in Bubble Heroes AGA :(

Some news for the USB / Ethernet device driver for Amiga core please ?

Thanks, Laurent and Franck
Amedia Computer
Laurent - Faranheit
Amedia Computer
Amiga software and hardware / FPGA Clone reseller
69, Avenue de la Libération
F-57530 Courcelles-Chaussy
France
Site : http://amiga.amedia-computer.com
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com

mambrino
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mambrino » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:26 am

ericgus wrote:Is there a good whdload setup/using tutorial around? something someone could point me at..

1 - Install WHDLoad from http://whdload.de/whdload/WHDLoad_usr.lha

2 - Add roms to Devs:Kickstarts (http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html).

3 - Copy games to SD (updated games pack: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68704)

4 - For game loading double click .info icon file or install a frontend menu, p.e: TinyLauncher (http://ohmygibs.free.fr/ohmygibs/TinyLauncher.html) or XBench (http://www.jimneray.com/xbench.html)

Cheers ;)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:17 am

thanks!

solskogen
Atari User
Atari User

Postby solskogen » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:06 pm

anyone else noticed that the latest core cant do joystick emulation with the keyboard? (I also have the latest firmware installed)

Return to “MiST”