AGA core for mist

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: AGA core for mist

Postby remowilliams » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:22 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:I can't read what's behind the link to the 'known tg68 issues' mentioned there.

Known issues in the TG68.C-core version 1.0 (2Way cache -MC68020).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:26 am

I've tried CD32 games via WHDLoad and they seem to run fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3JYm0cTimU

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:03 am

Most WHDLoad games work fine, unless they require an '020... then it starts to go downhill.

Ricky2u
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Ricky2u » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:00 am

Has anyone been able to run X-Out on Minimig AGA 1.1 without issue?

With all ADF copies I have the whole core seems to crash and I need to do a hard reset to get the MIST working agian.

Cheers.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Is there any keyboard map of this core? Some keys like NumLock don't work...

Regards,

Salva
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm trying to run Shadow of the Beast 1 on the Amiga (AGA 1.1) core. Is there a setting that make it work? I've tried several images, several settings (OCS, CS, AGA), but each time it crashes when I go left into the forest, after a while. The same disk images (run from the sd card, for example "Shadow of the Beast (1989)(Psygnosis)[cr VF][h Byte Master][t +1 VF]") work in the UAE emulator (but less smoother).

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:31 pm

farvardin wrote:I'm trying to run Shadow of the Beast 1 on the Amiga (AGA 1.1) core. Is there a setting that make it work? I've tried several images, several settings (OCS, CS, AGA), but each time it crashes when I go left into the forest, after a while. The same disk images (run from the sd card, for example "Shadow of the Beast (1989)(Psygnosis)[cr VF][h Byte Master][t +1 VF]") work in the UAE emulator (but less smoother).

I've had it running on that core using KS1.3, ECS chipset, 0.5MB chip RAM and 0.5MB slow RAM. I'll check tomorrow and confirm which version of the .adf I used if you've still not got it working.

Alternatively if you download a WHDLoad version that should work (it does for me).
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 pm

I've tried again with your settings, but it's the same, it crashes in the forest (the game freezes in fact, with the center yellow led blinking slowly). I don't own WHDLoad and I don't have a proper HD amiga desktop so at the moment it's easier for me to use floppies. And also I'd like to know why there is this problem.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:11 am

It takes time to setup a desktop but I really recommend it. WHDLOAD has a free version with a nag screen, so its bearable unless you switch games all the time. :)

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby chaos » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:38 am

farvardin wrote:I've tried again with your settings, but it's the same, it crashes in the forest (the game freezes in fact, with the center yellow led blinking slowly). I don't own WHDLoad and I don't have a proper HD amiga desktop so at the moment it's easier for me to use floppies. And also I'd like to know why there is this problem.

SOTB doesn't really work on anything but the original 68000. Use the AGA fixed ADF disk image, or run it in WHDload.
** my minimig builds: http://somuch.guru/ **

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:19 am

Forgot to mention that I had the cpu set to 68000 as well.

Quick comment regarding the AGA version of minimig - if I set the chipset type to ECS then booting Workbench gives a line of dark pixels down the left hand side (like the colour registers are wrong). AGA doesn't have this problem. However if I boot a game such as Ork via WHDload, ECS looks fine, yet in AGA I can see an extra line of pixels on the right hand side.

I've been trying loads of games recently - very happy to be able to run Slam Tilt, but Pinball Illusions hangs when scrolling down a table for the first time. I've never got a version of Super Skidmarks to run correctly yet either, the sprites are usually black silhouettes.

I also found that there are less graphical glitches if I turn off turbo for chip mem and just stick with turbo for Kick.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:24 am

Newsdee wrote:It takes time to setup a desktop but I really recommend it. WHDLOAD has a free version with a nag screen, so its bearable unless you switch games all the time. :)

yes, but I remember now another disavantage of harddrive in MiST is if you want to add a new game, you have to modify the hard drive by loading it within an emulator on the PC, you can't just add new files since it's a disk image.

Anyway, I used the 68000 CPU for SOTB on floppy when it froze. I don't know why it hangs at this particular place in the game.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:10 pm

I'll admit I couldn't be bothered to setup an HDD for a long time, but when I did I was glad. I'll check which emulator I use but I have it setup to open both the MiST SD card and a local hard drive, so transferring files isn't much longer than what it would take to drag and drop files in Windows...

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Newsdee wrote:I'll admit I couldn't be bothered to setup an HDD for a long time, but when I did I was glad. I'll check which emulator I use but I have it setup to open both the MiST SD card and a local hard drive, so transferring files isn't much longer than what it would take to drag and drop files in Windows...

I have a similar profile set up in WinUAE, it works fantastically well. I had my HDD image ready to go before I even got my MiST. It's worth the time to do it. I went with a lite install of Classic Workbench and found it easy to do and has everything ready to run.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:34 pm

I use FS-UAE - don't remember why I chose it over WinUAE but easy enough to use...

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:52 am

Newsdee wrote:I use FS-UAE - don't remember why I chose it over WinUAE but easy enough to use...

The main reason i started using FS-UAE is that it runs nicely on a Chromebook with Crouton installed.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon

AmigOS2
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AmigOS2 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:48 pm

I'm sorry if these questions don't below in this thread. I'm new to the MiST configured with Amiga AGA. I just received my system a week ago and before I start making full use of it I'd like to make a master backup of the SD card with the Amiga configuration I bought with my MiST.

Is it possible just to copy the content of the original SD card in a new SD card formatted in FAT32? Or do I need to partition in WinUAE the Sd card first and do the whole installation with the configuration of choice? Can I use a bigger capacity SD card, i.e. 32GB with FAT32 format?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Are you using a separate partition for the Amiga data, or a hard drive file? If it's the latter then a straightforward copy from your card to a new one should be fine.

I don't know what the biggest capacity card you can use will be, I've not gone any bigger than 8GB.

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:13 pm

farvardin wrote:Anyway, I used the 68000 CPU for SOTB on floppy when it froze. I don't know why it hangs at this particular place in the game.

Okay, a small back pedal here. I've just tried SOTB on my Mist, and am getting the same issue you've reported. The working version (whdload) I've run must be on my real A1200. I've been previously running the real Amiga and Mist side by side, hence the confusion.

AmigOS2
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AmigOS2 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:01 am

Total Eclipse wrote:Are you using a separate partition for the Amiga data, or a hard drive file? If it's the latter then a straightforward copy from your card to a new one should be fine.

I don't know what the biggest capacity card you can use will be, I've not gone any bigger than 8GB.

Besides the folders and core files, I see a couple of hdf's with my Workbench configurations. So I tried to copy to a 32GB formatted as FAT32 but the MiST can't read it.

I will buy another 8GB and try again to see if it's a problem with the capacity of SD cards that the MiST can handle. I'm also using a FPGA Arcade and there I can use cards up to 128GB provided that they are formatted as FAT32.

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:36 am

Total Eclipse wrote:
farvardin wrote:Anyway, I used the 68000 CPU for SOTB on floppy when it froze. I don't know why it hangs at this particular place in the game.

Okay, a small back pedal here. I've just tried SOTB on my Mist, and am getting the same issue you've reported. The working version (whdload) I've run must be on my real A1200. I've been previously running the real Amiga and Mist side by side, hence the confusion.

I had chance to test again over the weekend, and have downloaded the WHDLoad version from whdownload.com

I can confirm that it seems to work - I can walk to the far left of the forest until falling down a hole.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi ! May I ask an off-topic question regarding the Amiga core ? :-)

The picture we get, provided one has a monitor capable of diplaying the 720x576 resolution in 50 Hz, with the right 910 pixels per line sample clock etc., is pretty good, with scanlines (and bilinear filtering). It's clearly WAY better than the output of most emulators (except those using proper pixel shaders scanlines), and way better than the original machine with a scandoubler, on a LCD screen. I used to have a Dreamcast with an external scanliner : 320x256 games were very difficult to look at on LCD screens.

So that's already pretty good.

But would you guys happen to have ideas on other filters / kinds of scanlines that could make the picture even better, with the Amiga core, on an LCD screen ? Scanlines fix the problem of the low vertical resolution, but not the horizontal one. Bilinear filtering makes the picture blurry, which leads to eye strain (I cannot stand this for too long due to some problems with my eyes).

Thanks a lot for listening :)
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Total Eclipse wrote:I had chance to test again over the weekend, and have downloaded the WHDLoad version from whdownload.com
I can confirm that it seems to work - I can walk to the far left of the forest until falling down a hole.

many thanks for this test. I'll try the whdload version then. I guess the problem might be from the floppy drive implementation, because the code should be the same between the floppy version and the whdload (I tried several floppy releases and all of them are crashing)

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby chaos » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:56 am

There is no known problem with the floppy implementation. Like I already said, SOTB only runs on the *original* 68000 CPU, the TG68 CPU core doesn't have 100% identical timings to the 68000. Either use WHDload, or find the *AGA fixed* floppy image.
** my minimig builds: http://somuch.guru/ **

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:47 pm

ah sorry Chaos, I didn't understand well you comment (I only saw the whdload part). I've found a version of SOTB which is working on the MiST (floppy version), it's called "Shadow of the Beast (1989)(Psygnosis)[cr VF][t +1 VF](Disk 1 of 2)[f AGA Orb]". Thank you.

Return to “MiST”