https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: AGA core for mist

Postby chaos » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Paradroyd wrote:
johey wrote:Is there any way to get multiscan productivity screenmodes working? Would be cool to have a flicker-free highres square-pixel resolution for Workbench.

When selecting such a screenmode, the content of the screen is squeezed and pushed to the left, and the mouse pointer is gone.

I've noticed something similar in the AGA core (every version I've tried) when trying to play a couple of PD Workbench games that are supposed to run in HiRes non-interlaced (640x200). It specifically happens in Klondike Solitaire, but only if I'm running with AGA enabled. If I bring workbench up in ECS, those things open fine. 640x200 is a mode that not a lot of commercial games run in, so you might not run into it much.

I have no idea if this is technically related to what's described above, but it looks like what you described.

Paradroyd: using the 640x200 should work just fine, at least it does for me. Can you give me a list of games that have this problem?

johey: multiscan will not work, as there is no support for programmable display modes in minimig. The DblPAL & DblNTSC modes should work, though, but I never tested them.
** my minimig builds: http://somuch.guru/ **

Amedia
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Amedia » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:41 am

Hi Chaos,

Great news !

Will it support the AmigaOS 3.9 non official kickstart rom ?

For informations, for all of you here, France 3 Lorraine french local TV has made an interview of our Amiga activity and you can see Franck 'Sheldon' and I 'Faranheit' playing on a Mist board ;)

You can see this video on our Facebook HERE :)

Don't hesitate to follow us on this page ;)

Thanks, Laurent and Franck
Amedia Computer
Laurent - Faranheit
Amedia Computer
Amiga software and hardware / FPGA Clone reseller
69, Avenue de la Libération
F-57530 Courcelles-Chaussy
France
Site : http://amiga.amedia-computer.com
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:24 pm

I just figured out using FBlit + NewIcons triggered a huge screen corruption with the latest AGA core + 020 (OK under WinUAE). This is a very useful patch for speeding up the display and lowering the CHIP usage.

Edit : oops, it was reported before, sorry !!!
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Out of curiosity I tried the DblPal monitor :)

In 640x512 non interlaced, it displays a stretched and slightly shifted picture on the third of the screen with a doubled mouse pointer. In 640x512 interlaced mode, it is non stretched but the picture is still too small and only takes a fraction of the screen (also doubled mouse pointer).

Ricky2u
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Ricky2u » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:06 am

Hi All,

Just have a small problem with flashtro trainers where the mouse skips the options and jumps straight to the first and last option in the trainer menu. I am not able to replicate this with the same ADF images when using WinUAE.

Seems that the USB mouse response is to fast and I can not correctly press the mouse button to change the options on or off.

Has anyone else had the same issue with games that use flashtro trainers?

Thanks in advance.

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby chaos » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:47 am

Amedia wrote:Will it support the AmigaOS 3.9 non official kickstart rom ?

Yes, of course.

mahen wrote:I just figured out using FBlit + NewIcons triggered a huge screen corruption with the latest AGA core + 020 (OK under WinUAE). This is a very useful patch for speeding up the display and lowering the CHIP usage.

Yes, FBlit/Ftext doesn't work unfortunately.

mahen wrote:Out of curiosity I tried the DblPal monitor :)

In 640x512 non interlaced, it displays a stretched and slightly shifted picture on the third of the screen with a doubled mouse pointer. In 640x512 interlaced mode, it is non stretched but the picture is still too small and only takes a fraction of the screen (also doubled mouse pointer).

The Dbl* modes are probably not very useful, no need to waste your time with them. Setting the display to DblPAL *AND* using a scandoubler wouldn't work on a real Amiga also, for obvious reasons. You need to set the display driver to DblPAL *and* disable the scandoubler in the mist.ini. Of course, just using the scandoubler is much more efficient & simple, as on the MiST you can't switch the scandoubler off while the core is running, so starting a game from a DblPAL workbench screen won't work.

Maybe the DblPAL mode could be detected and the scandoubler disabled, but that is very low priority.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:01 am

Maybe the DblPAL mode could be detected and the scandoubler disabled, but that is very low priority.

Yep, I understand :) As you said they were supposed to work I assumed this mechanism already existed, which surprised me a lot :)
Thanks for taking the time to reply !!

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:06 pm

I really need your help badly, guys :)

I have huge problems with my new MiST which didn't occur with my previous MiST, when trying the very same combinations of kickstart, firmware, amiga HDF, it's even the very same SD card, and the very same content as I made a backup. Everything is absolutely identical, except the MiST unit (both MIDI but my current one is very recent).

So, on my new MiST (using : new cpu core, AGA, 020, new cpu, clean WB 3.1, whdload 18.1), about 1 game out of 2 gives me an error (it used to be very rare). Example : Turrican 1 & 3 : line 1010 emulator $28. Pinball Fantasies ECS : exception CHK CHK2 INSTR". SOTB : line 1111 emulator. VIrocop : linue 1111. Superfrog & Chaos Engine AGA : CHK, CHK2 instr. MorphOS AGA : line 1111 etc etc. (I wrote down the complete error messages if you need them)

All those worked on my former MiST. Another strange thing : I HAVE to enable "Turbo : kickstart (or both)" otherwise I get a guru (and then only get 1 MB of chip and no fast). On my former MiST I could disable TURBO or set Turbo : chip.

Afterwards, I tried tons of settings, kickstarts etc. combinations ; even other firmware and got no improvement.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Have you tried with another (fresh) SD card? I once ejected one too early from my PC and it's no longer recognized by my MIST. I just copied everything elsewhere and it works fine. I feel the MIST can be very sensitive to the integrity of the SD card.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion ! However, I tried and it makes no difference.

Well, considering everything works perfectly under UAE (I use the HDF present on the SD card), and considering I used to use this very same SD, this is not surprising.

My main concern is to figure out if my MiST is defective :) Any idea ? Also, I noticed that after rebooting the MiST, error messages could differ but ALWAYS occured with the same game.

Also, I sometimes get a RED screen but it's not random, it occurs after quitting a game for instance. (and I get a guru if I try to disable the TURBO mode). Also, I didn't manage to start in ECS / 68000 mode (while using a 3.1 roms for A500) and I think it used to work as well although I'm not 100% sure.

Something really strange is the fact I need the KICK turbo mode to be enabled. I clearly remember I could leave it disabled.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:10 pm

@mahen have you tried reflashing the firmware? It's quite easy to do: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... heFirmware (I was thinking: if the firmware doesn't installed properly via osd, maybe SAM-BA could help?)

is it the same core and firmware versions on the 2 MiSTs?

Have you tried other machine core, such as Atari ST, Amstrad?

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi ! Yep, I did try 4 firmware to no avail. The one included with my MiST ; the one included in the Minimig AGA archive ; the latest one and finally the one I used with my former MiST : it makes no difference at all :)

Thanks for the suggestion though !!

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby chaos » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:50 pm

There is a new release of minimig-mist AGA v1.1 for the MiST board available, grab it here:

http://somuch.guru/minimig/minimig-mist/

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:43 pm

@chaos : OH YES, everything works again !! No more mysterious exceptions when starting many games ! Thank you so much :)

Also, thanks for removing the "UP+DOWN" OSD trigger ! Very useful for custom controllers with an additional button for the "UP" direction !

Thanks again !! And sorry if I happen to sound like a spoilt kid !

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:08 pm

it's kinda strange though that an old firmware which worked with an older MiST no longer works with the newer MiST. Do you think they changed something in the components which could have this effect? I'm glad it's working again for you anyway! ;)

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:30 am

farvardin wrote:it's kinda strange though that an old firmware which worked with an older MiST no longer works with the newer MiST. Do you think they changed something in the components which could have this effect? I'm glad it's working again for you anyway! ;)

The boards are the same.

I think this has something to do with Newsdees patches to allow to control the OSD with the gamepad. I frequently have the same issues. Try unplugging the gamepad or just use the gamepad to control the OSD. I need to debug this one day ...
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Interesting. I wouldn't expect the change to make the AGA core crash... In any case if you don't use the OSD gamepad function you can disable it by setting joystick_ignore_osd=1 in the MIST.INI file.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Hehe, the relevant change that prevents the numerous crashes is actually :

"- changes to FPGA clock handling, hopefully this will make a more stable minimig core"

Thanks again, Chaos, for fixing stuff so quickly and efficiently :)

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:05 pm

I was talking about the osd not being controllable by keyboard.

I never suggested that the firmware made the core crash.

Also with the up/down combo no properly being fed into the core it may make sense to map additional fire buttons of usb controllers onto a up/down combo inside the amiga core. That way the additional buttons work in amiga games expecting those extra up/down wired joystick buttons.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm thinking about something. Would it make sense to give a higher priority to the "UP" button, and make it inhibit the "DOWN" button ? It would prevent some unexpected behaviour when using a "JUMP" button while pushing the DOWN direction at the same time...

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:14 pm

What would this unexpected behaviour be?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:19 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:I was talking about the osd not being controllable by keyboard.

Ah, I misunderstood. Yes I noticed that problem and yes its related to my change. I suspect its the fact that in some instances I need to report "key up" for the pad which overrides the keyboard. I'll revisit it when I get a bit of time.

Amedia
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Amedia » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:05 am

Hi ;)

Well done guys !

I have finally been able to go to the second stage on Jim Power ;)

Unfortunately, Pinball Illusions still has a problem : the WHDLoad version quit with an error 3 seconds after displaying a table.

Thanks, Laurent and Franck
Amedia Computer
Mist are in Stock :)
Laurent - Faranheit
Amedia Computer
Amiga software and hardware / FPGA Clone reseller
69, Avenue de la Libération
F-57530 Courcelles-Chaussy
France
Site : http://amiga.amedia-computer.com
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:10 am

There's rumor that some lharc versions fail on tg68 in 68020 mode due to a bug in the bitfield instructions. It may very well be that some games also suffer from this.

If one of you amiga gurus can tell me what instructions fail then I ccan fix them. But I need to know what the problem is.

Maybe someone is able to get more information from here:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.ph ... stcount=74

I can't read what's behind the link to the 'known tg68 issues' mentioned there.

breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby breiztiger » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi

Just a question,

As amiga cd32 is base on the same hardware as the amiga 1200 (+ akiko),

Does someone Can make a cd32 core ?

Breiztiger

Return to “MiST”