MiST VGA Compatibility

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MiST VGA Compatibility

Postby DrOG » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:58 am

PlusTOO is 1024x768@60Hz, nothing special. Even my LE40B650 accepts it. Could you test the less common ones please?

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm

I made some further investigations, and my daughter's LG DM2352 identifies the TRS-80's scandoubler disabled singal via SCART as 576i50Hz instead of 720x288@60Hz. Strange...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AdvancedFollower
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AdvancedFollower » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:03 pm

I just got the Mist and I've been testing it with my GW2750HM monitor.
According to the specs it has Horizontal Refresh Rate 30 - 83 kHz, Vertical Refresh Rate 50 - 76 Hz.

So far, most cores have worked just fine and provide a crisp image. I've tried Amiga (NTSC and PAL at everything from 320x200 to 1280x512 interlaced), C64, Spectrum, ZX81, NES and SMS. The monitor has an option for aspect-correct (with black borders) or stretched.

The only 2 cores that haven't worked are the Amstrad and the Atari. Immediately upon loading them, I just get the "Out of Sync" message on the screen. I tried several different images of TOS (UK, USA, Sweden..) but the result is always the same.

I'm guessing the only way to get those working is with some additional hardware? Or are there any software tweaks I could try?

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:37 pm

AdvancedFollower wrote:I just got the Mist and I've been testing it with my GW2750HM monitor....
The only 2 cores that haven't worked are the Amstrad and the Atari. Immediately upon loading them, I just get the "Out of Sync" message on the screen. I tried several different images of TOS (UK, USA, Sweden..) but the result is always the same.

Hi!

Does your monitor support interlaced (scandoubler disabled) mode and composite sync over VGA pin 13?

I see the specs are from 30kHz to 83kHz, but I think it worths to try: after selecting the problematic core, try to push the MiST's middle button for a longer period (2 secs).

The new Amstrad core has an option to switch between 800x600@73Hz and 720x576@50Hz, but first you need to access the menu to modify this. It needs some additional files as well to work properly:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... strad/ROMs

I suppose You mean the Atari ST core. We have an Atari 2600 and an Atari 800 XL/5200 core also.
The ST core has 6 different video modes:
PAL interlaced, PAL 50Hz VGA, PAL 56Hz VGA, NTSC interlaced, NTSC VGA and B&W. You can modify the video standard with the TOS file you use: i.e. UK version results PAL, the US NTSC modes to be available. Between PAL modes (50/56Hz) and B/W you need to use the menu, which is difficult if you have no video...

Atari 2600 has no compatibility issues, Atari XL / 5200 needs some additional ROM files and special folder structure on SD card:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... readme.txt

Regards: Gábor

AdvancedFollower
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AdvancedFollower » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:33 am

Yes, I meant the Atari ST core. Haven't tried the 2600/800/5200 yet.
Setting scandoubler_disable=1 causes out of range error with the Amiga and other cores which worked before, so my monitor definitely needs 30 KHz. With the Amiga core running, my monitor identifies the resolution as 720x576 @ 50 Hz btw.

Pressing and holding the middle button did nothing with the Atari ST core. With the Amiga core it causes "Out of range", pressing and holding again restores the image.

You're right, accessing the menu is difficult when there's no image :? Maybe if I knew exactly which keys to press (F12 - Down - Down - Enter etc.) I could try something else.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:13 am

It seems that you are stuck in B&W mode, sometimes it happens...
The problem is with mono mode the refresh rate, it's 71Hz, which is uncommon, and some monitors don't handle it.

The easiest solution is to find a monitor that supports this video mode.

But I'll try to help you in 'blind navigation":

First set "scandoubler_disable=1" back to 0 in mist.ini.

Power on your MiST, and boot/Run the Atari ST core.
Wait 5 secs to start memory test.
Press [Enter] to abort memory test.
Wait 5 secs to boot the core to desktop.
Press [F12].
Press 'Down Arrow' key 4 times.
Press [Enter].
Press [Enter] again -> this option (Screen: Color/B&W) switches PAL/NTSC compatible and monochrome output. This resets the core as well, so you will have to wait to boot it again, but this will be visible on your monitor (I hope).

Regards: Gábor

AdvancedFollower
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AdvancedFollower » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Just tried your instructions and it actually worked https://imgur.com/a/f5GJw :D Thanks a lot for the help.
So it seems the high resolution b&w mode doesn't work with my monitor, but ST Medium and Low color modes seem to work just fine, which should be enough for most games and demos.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:42 am

You're Welcome!

Return to “MiST”