Can a 'how to load' & keyboard commands be added to OSD Menu?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Higgy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Can a 'how to load' & keyboard commands be added to OSD Menu?

Postby Higgy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:01 am

Hello,

I see the OSD has the possibility to move left/right to access controller setup and Core update.
So I was wondering if a 'cheat sheet' screen would help most people?
For example I grew up with ZX Spectrum and AMIGA so I will always remember Load (press J) "" but when I try say try CPC or C64 i often have to check Internet to remind me or refer go bits of paper with loading commands or which keys to press to get @ symbol.
Having all the info within the Core OSD would help. Like the new CoCo3 Core how to load a TRS-80 game? I had to ask on Facebook.

Looks like I will be getting some forced unpaid leave soon :( so I could collate the information, I just would not be able to add it to the Core.

Good idea or does everyone have a great memory for knowing how to load and access special symbols/Reset/Break commands?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Can a 'how to load' & keyboard commands be added to OSD Menu?

Postby slingshot » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 am

As the OSD has a limited size, I don't think it would be a good place.
Also where to put these help texts? Distribute separate help files for the cores?

Higgy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Higgy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 am

I thought they could just displayed as a text page as part of the OSD.
I don't know how it works but the OSD pulls specific options across (scanlines, CPU speed) so i thought it might be able to display some text.
Just trying to have the useful Wiki info in one place rather than relying on Internet connection, pieces of paper or (bad) memory of how to load etc.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 am

Higgy wrote:I thought they could just displayed as a text page as part of the OSD.
I don't know how it works but the OSD pulls specific options across (scanlines, CPU speed) so i thought it might be able to display some text.
Just trying to have the useful Wiki info in one place rather than relying on Internet connection, pieces of paper or (bad) memory of how to load etc.

Storing long text in the FPGA (the RBF file) takes precious resources, it's out of question. And I speak about the physical size of the OSD, it's 28x8 chars, I don't know if it could be useful for some help text (btw, nobody read even the scrolling text, which has the hint about Num Lock and joystick emulation).

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:46 am

Check out this FAQ by Owlnonymous:
https://pastebin.com/pM1XMe5E

Higgy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Higgy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 am

Thanks.
I can print that off and keep handy :cheers:

Return to “MiST”