BBC Micro

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: BBC Micro

Postby slingshot » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm

seastalker wrote:Hope I don't annoy everyone with my how-to questions. I do look stuff up first and watch videos. I have a BEEB.MMB [the higgy one] file and the latest core and can get to the basic prompt. I tried typing MENU and got the message 'MISTAKE'. Isn't the beeb.mmb file's purpose to be a hard drive image so to speak where the games are inside of it? Instead, F12 gives the option to select a ROM. I know I am doing something wrong but clarification of the current state of rom loading vs within the .mmb file is appreciated. I really like messing with these cores.

Try to issue *DCAT, if the core recognizes the BEEB.MMB, then it should list its contents.
Then at the F12 menu, choose Auto Boot "ON", reset the core, it'll present a menu with apps without learning the command line stuff.

squid4
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby squid4 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm

slingshot, looks good. I hoped the new CPU AND VIA might have fixed some timing problems but they're still there. Examples: bad apple has pauses, "beeb track" the bass is out of tune with the rest, arcadians has graphics corruption.

But it has fixed Empire Strikes Back! Nice one. :D

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:41 pm

squid4 wrote:slingshot, looks good. I hoped the new CPU AND VIA might have fixed some timing problems but they're still there. Examples: bad apple has pauses, "beeb track" the bass is out of tune with the rest, arcadians has graphics corruption.

But it has fixed Empire Strikes Back! Nice one. :D

Probably I'll try with Sorgelig's CRTC from the Amstrad core, he made it very demo compatible, maybe helps here, too :)
I see "Bad Apple" loads from the SD Card a lot, maybe the slowdown is because of loading. I know the CPC core required lots of tweaking in the FDC until all modern demos liked it.
What's the problem with Arcadians, it looks good for me.

squid4
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby squid4 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:43 am

Arcadians looks fine to start with then randomly during the game the graphics get corrupted. There's also a few games where the video wraps round the edge of the screen, only a few games and I can't remember what they are - will need to check again.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 am

Maybe I didn't play with Arcadians long enough. I only see the cursor is not disappearing, it's a CRTC fault. Also there's a specific hack for the CRTC+ULA address synchronization, without it, garbage displayed at the left side of many games, but they should work without these kind of hacks.

squid4
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby squid4 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Just a thought, I haven't seen this corruption on anything other than Arcadians, perhaps the game image is corrupted? Higgy an ideas?

Higgy
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Higgy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:37 am

'Castle Quest' had the wrap around issue and it was fixed but I can't remember if it was on Mist or ZX Uno.

We need to see if the issue is back as it might be Core related. I can try Arcadians on my ZX Uno and see what that does.

Higgy

Postby Higgy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

I tried Castle Quest and although it seemed fine there is a small horizontal white line that flashed on/off.

Playing Arcadians there also seems to be a flashing white line at the bottom of the screen. And yes after say 1 minute of play the screen flickers as if sync is lost (this is on CRT TV) and the screen has some ghosting.

I have not tired with the previous Core yet to try Arcadians.

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:03 am

Just found out that MMFS supports "RAW" SD-Cards, without a filesystem. What does it mean? Just copy BEEB.MMB as BBC.VHD to the SD Card's root folder, and enjoy!

DanyPPC
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DanyPPC » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Are there any hopes to include White Light on BEEB.MMB image ?

Also e-type seems to be missing on the image.
Thanks

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:56 pm

DanyPPC wrote:Are there any hopes to include White Light on BEEB.MMB image ?

Well, seems a good task for a non-developer. But maybe you can have better luck at stardot.org.uk. seems all the BEEB fans are there.

Higgy

Postby Higgy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Regarding White Light I did pop over to Stardot. I went there with the problem ages ago, but checking back today it seems that the blank screen after dying/resetting in the game is due to a file being write protected. This has been fixed and it works on physical disks, however Hoglet (BBC wizard on the forum) suggests that there is still an issue if you are using a flash memory file system. I have not tried yet myself.

E-type !! I played a Archimedes version at a friends many many years ago!

I have found a disk image although it says '1770 DFS Required' so I am not sure it will work?

I was waiting for White Light to be fixed before releasing another updated .MMC image. I have added a few more recently released games.
Maybe I should go ahead and release it (testing E type first).

DanyPPC
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DanyPPC » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Many thanks Higgy :wink:

I'll wait the image update.

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:07 pm

slingshot wrote:Try to issue *DCAT, if the core recognizes the BEEB.MMB, then it should list its contents.
Then at the F12 menu, choose Auto Boot "ON", reset the core, it'll present a menu with apps without learning the command line stuff.

slingshot wrote:Just found out that MMFS supports "RAW" SD-Cards, without a filesystem. What does it mean? Just copy BEEB.MMB as BBC.VHD to the SD Card's root folder, and enjoy!

Slingshot, thanks for this information. After four years I finally got this core properly working on my MIST! :D

Return to “MiST”