Make a MIDI synth which is based on hardware

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: lotek_style, Mug UK, Moderator Team

vivitern
Atarian
Atarian

Make a MIDI synth which is based on hardware

Postby vivitern » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:54 am

I have a lot of old MIDI equipment that was recently given to me by a retired music teacher. I have a lot of interest in it, and would like to make a MIDI synth. It does not need to be high quality or sample based, but I want to know how to implement a MIDI decoder in hardware.

I know that MIDI is just digital signals representing instruments, so I'm thinking something like this.
quick and simple diagram of what I want Yeah, it's not a technical diagram. But basically, I want a really excellent guide to how MIDI works. What the signal contains and so on. I have an arduino ready to act as a PWM generator, and I have tested it. It just needs to generate simple waves (like square waves, NES/Famicom style).

Does anyone know a concise, easy to understand documentation for the MIDI standard? Something like what would be in "The Art of Electronics" (the textbook) if it talked about MIDI at all. Something that a beginner could understand, preferably. I mainly work in analog technology, so this has been a new experience for me.

Thank you. (By the way, I'm not asking you to build it for me; I just want to know where a good document is. I want to do this project on my own. Nothing more complex than simple logic IC's, so don't tell me about those MIDI generating IC's.)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Make a MIDI synth which is based on hardware

Postby joska » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 am

vivitern wrote:...I have an arduino ready to act as a PWM...
...Nothing more complex than simple logic IC's, so don't tell me about those MIDI generating IC's...

You're already using a MIDI-capable chip :) MIDI is a simple, serial-protocol, your Arduino's serialport will work fine as a MIDI-port.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Midi
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”