Transferring Atari SND/Music files to PC?

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Transferring Atari SND/Music files to PC?

Postby Neild323 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:35 pm

I'm a newbee to this site, hello to all the Atari ST lovers out there!

I'd like to just ask about to see where I can get started with a few things I'm planning to get going with soon.

I'm ready to get going with my Atari ST again so I can make chip music & animations to accompany them. After discovering SNDH's archive recently I've been working on some carefully planned DJ mixes which I intend on syncing with visuals ripped from the original games on my Atari. Through doing this, I thought it'd be great to edit the SNDH files & for eg, remix Strider by seperating the tracks & altering them, & composing my own chip tunes to bob in the mix, in a demoscene style way, keeping it as authentic as possible.
Ideally I'd like to produce some tunes in/or converted to SND format, so I can later export them as WAVS in an SNDH player such as Audio Overload on the PC or Mac.

Can anyone recommend the best way to transfer files (namely SNDH) back to PC to achieve this? I've seen various methods such as the Satan drive which gives me the SD card option, a whole bunch more but it's becoming difficult to asses which would be the most straight forward way.
I'm not a programmer of any sort, I'm keen to learn what I need to know but it'd be really helpful if anyone doesn't mind pointing me in the best direction. Not sure whether floppy would be a good method or whether to invest in some additional hardware to help achieve it.

Once it's all together, I hope for it to be an awesome show both audibly & visually, which I intend to keep underground & offline. If I can remix a whole bunch of Atari games using the data held within SNDH files I think I'd just be in utter bliss :-)

Www.Djneild.com

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Transferring Atari SND/Music files to PC?

Postby FedePede04 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:24 pm

I don't know if you know this, but sndh is not a format
it is a kind of a header containing then native player and score data + instruments /sampling data ect
so they are pretty hard to edit

Edit.. i had type it on my cellphone so it was full of errors
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Hey thanks for getting back buddy.

I was hoping there could be a way to convert SND files back to a format of which could be editted, wondering if there would be relevant data within those files to achieve this but I guess its likely that the SNDH files can't be broken down in that way.

I'm still in the process of choosing the best sequencer for this. I used to use Music Studio at 10 years old & I read that it's possible to convert those SNG files to SND, which would mean I'd result with a high res WAV file of the SNG file after using audio overload to convert it on a PC.
My idea was to export them to a PC format in SNDH, so I can have the best quality sound as possible when it comes to creating a WAV file of the finished song. Otherwise I'd need to record the sound from the Atari direct through analogue skart, which may loose some quality on the final piece.

I've come to realise theres a lot for me to learn here, but I'm hoping there could be a way to edit Atari files such as SNG or SAP maybe (if I can't edit the SNDH files), so I can make use of the original files & put my own twist on them.
I heard a demoscene track recently that included synths from the classic 'ghouls & ghosts' during the tune, if I could get to that stage I'd be very happy

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:36 pm

I've already recorder whole SNDH archive: http://sndhrecord.atari.org/. There are some missing (recorders a silence) tunes, but most are there.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:28 pm

Neild323 wrote:Hey thanks for getting back buddy.

I was hoping there could be a way to convert SND files back to a format of which could be editted, wondering if there would be relevant data within those files to achieve this but I guess its likely that the SNDH files can't be broken down in that way.

I'm still in the process of choosing the best sequencer for this. I used to use Music Studio at 10 years old & I read that it's possible to convert those SNG files to SND, which would mean I'd result with a high res WAV file of the SNG file after using audio overload to convert it on a PC.
My idea was to export them to a PC format in SNDH, so I can have the best quality sound as possible when it comes to creating a WAV file of the finished song. Otherwise I'd need to record the sound from the Atari direct through analogue skart, which may loose some quality on the final piece.

I've come to realise theres a lot for me to learn here, but I'm hoping there could be a way to edit Atari files such as SNG or SAP maybe (if I can't edit the SNDH files), so I can make use of the original files & put my own twist on them.
I heard a demoscene track recently that included synths from the classic 'ghouls & ghosts' during the tune, if I could get to that stage I'd be very happy

the snd in music studio was sound banks to the song files.
i would probably use YM files instead of, and if you need the notes, it would not be impossible to make a program that could tell note from the frequencies. but it would be a huge job to convert all music files, to something else, i am in the process of converting midi files to the ST, and it takes about 3-4 days for one...
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Wow Adam, good job on exporting all those files! I've spent a long time myself going through as many as I can, taken up a good 100gb of my HD too after I've sorted them by bpm & style. I couldn't find "test drive" or magic pockets, so I've just ripped them from the monitor output on my atari, having a great time today mixing those tunes!

Hey Fedepede, thanks for the advice on that, I'm looking into that at the moment to find the best tracker. At the moment I've been sampling parts in ableton till I can see a better way to do it, works well for now. MIDI to ST? Bet thats great when it works! I think I've made myself forever busy with my Atari ST since I set it up again recently, can't wait to perform all of these wonderful sounds!

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”