Steinberg Avalon for Dummies - like me...

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Steinberg Avalon for Dummies - like me...

Postby dbsys » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:53 pm

I recently acquired a full version of Steinberg´s Avalon.

Despite the fact I worked myself through the manual already, I am still unable to load an existing sample from my hard disk into Avalon an play it back. Yes, I did not even manage that! :?

The manual looks great at first sight, but what´s really missing is a Quick Start guide that gets users up and running with a basic set up to start with.

Anybody here who owns Avalon too and willing/able to guide me through loading existing samples to any of the 4 banks and have me play these samples back?

My configuration: 1040STE with 4 Megs, TOS 2.06, hard drive, Avalon 2.1 software, Avalon dongle and the printed Avalon 2.0 manual.

Thanks a lot for help!
:cheers:

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Steinberg Avalon for Dummies - like me...

Postby dbsys » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:46 pm

I found out in the meantime that Avalon works a bit different than other GEM programs on the Atari.

I looked at Avalon´s GUI with typical programs in mind. But Avalon´s drop down menus do not represent the whole feature set.

Avalon mainly works by dragging and dropping icons on the Mapping Page.

So if I want to load existing samples (SMP files) from the hard drive into Avalon, I need to grab one of the hard disk icons on the Mapping Page and drag it onto one of the sample slots. Then I will get a dialog which allows me to select a sample and load it to this slot. Form there I can edit the sample in the Time Editor, or play it back via STE DMA sound or the SM124 speaker or the optional D/A converter.

kola
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby kola » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:14 pm

Hey man,

Just so you know your not talking to yourself. Im listening :)

I used to use avalon forever ago. Just to make sure my failing memory is correct its a sample editor right?

I used to use it on my Akai S1000 forever ago now so couldn't give you any pointer. I had my S1000 for a while eventually upgrading to an S6000 what is wav compatible. As much as I love using the old Atari and Amiga and the old formats I really wish someone would make new software for them. Like a wav editor or a sequencer with mute buttons you can hit from the keyboard MPC fashion. No gonna happen though.
Highly experimental music for space robots! All made on an ST with not a damned PC in site - yeeeey

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:21 pm

kola wrote:Hey man,

Just so you know your not talking to yourself. Im listening :)

I used to use avalon forever ago. Just to make sure my failing memory is correct its a sample editor right?

Thanks for your company :wink:

Yep, Avalon was Steinberg´s version of a sample editor.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”