Falcon and Cubase Audio

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

fidzen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Falcon and Cubase Audio

Postby fidzen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:35 am

I wonder how many in here that uses a Falcon and Cubase Audio today for music making?
I used a Falcon with JAM IN 8 and OUT 8 in my recording studio until 1997 when I switched
to PC. Thinking back I think the switch to PC partly killed my inspiration and in 2000 I closed
my studio. I haven't made music since then, but now I have a Falcon with CAF again and I
must say that I'm interested in testing again. But the question is if I do the right choice if
I start making music on the Falcon again or if I should go for a modern Mac instead.
I really like the basic way to record and arrange in CAF compared to the softwares today.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Firebee Series 2, 16Gb CF, 2Gb SD, MEGA ST Keyboard and Atari Mice.
Atari Stacy 2 with 4Mb RAM and 20Mb HD.
Atari Lynx II with new LCD and VGA output.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

fidzen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Falcon and Cubase Audio

Postby fidzen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:02 pm

No one using their Falcon for music?
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Firebee Series 2, 16Gb CF, 2Gb SD, MEGA ST Keyboard and Atari Mice.
Atari Stacy 2 with 4Mb RAM and 20Mb HD.
Atari Lynx II with new LCD and VGA output.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Haven't recorded anything really since the early/mid 2000s when I used to play in a band, and used to record things quite regularly using Cubase, but not had the time or room since then. The mac is always going to easier, faster and have all the gubbins, but a Falcon can do much the same job, albeit with lots of things hanging out the back.. so why not? :)
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:05 pm

I use CAF a little. It is there as an option for me, as I mostly use my digital multitrack. However given the SCSI only recording, I have tended now to shy away from CAF if I indulge in recording on the Falcon, only due to wanting to keep desk space free from SCSI drives, and no viable option via a SCSI SSD (I.e. no Ultrasatan, GigaFile due to driver restrictions, although SCSI CosmosEx could now fix this)
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mal7921 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 pm

I used the Falcon with Cubase Audio up until a few years ago, nwo the Falcon is in storage and the CAF disks and dongle are also stored away. I don't have the room for a full studio anymore and can devote little time to maintaining one. On the odd occasions when I do get back playing, I have Reason on the iMac, though these days when I do get into the media side, it is more video focused these days, which the Atari's cannot compete with in these days of 4K video. Even the MacBook Pro upgraded with SSD storage and stupid amounts of RAM struggles.
The collection:

Atari 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STfm
Atari STe
Atari Falcon, 14MB, 40GB IDE drive

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:49 pm

ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”