retro-io Java library for .ST and .MSA

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

marcelschoen
Atari User
Atari User

retro-io Java library for .ST and .MSA

Postby marcelschoen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:52 am

Hi guys,

For anyone interested in reading old floppy images and accessing their contents, I have started a new Github project; a Java library which allows to do exactly that: Read various old floppy image formats and extract their contents:

https://github.com/marcelschoen/retro-io

Currently, there is a (bad) GUI tool included in the executable Jar that must be built with Gradle. It currently works with DOS ".IMG" images, Atari ST ".ST" and ".MSA" images, Amiga ".ADF" images and C64 ".D64" images. I plan to include Atari XL ".ATR" support as well soonish.

I am planning to create a little web application that will allow to upload images and extract their contents either as single files, or as a ZIP archive. But it's all still very fresh and work-in-progress.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: retro-io Java library for .ST and .MSA

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:46 am

Good project!
Thanks for your contribution.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

marcelschoen
Atari User
Atari User

Postby marcelschoen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:24 pm

I think I will post the executable Jar file with the (very ugly and minimalistic) GUI extractor tool here this evening, so that anyone who doesn't want to build the project, but would already want to use / test it, can do so.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Please do, I do not have the tools to build it.
This runs in a browser ??
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm

marcelschoen wrote:I think I will post the executable Jar file with the (very ugly and minimalistic) GUI extractor tool here this evening, so that anyone who doesn't want to build the project, but would already want to use / test it, can do so.

:cheers:
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

marcelschoen
Atari User
Atari User

Postby marcelschoen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:44 pm

wongck wrote:Please do, I do not have the tools to build it.
This runs in a browser ??

It will... but not yet. I am working on a small single-page web application that will provide an upload button, then show the contents of the image, and allow to extract either single files from it, or download the contents in a ZIP archive. This will take another few days or so, until I get something online.

As of right now, there is just a small, ugly Swing-based Java tool built into it. One of the outputs of my project is an executable Jar file, which you can just double-click on a PC, then a small GUI tool will appear where you can load an image and extract them completely to a directory, or as a ZIP archive. This exectuable Jar file is what I will post here in a few hours, as an attachement.

As of now, I don't want to spend a lot of time on this Swing-based desktop application version; instead, I will focus on the web application. As soon as it is online, I will post this here too.

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”