Glue a disassociated disk?

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Glue a disassociated disk?

Postby Brume » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 am

I was trying to image an original game (Bob Morane Chevalerie) when I realised the metal disk was disassociated from the magnetic disk.
The magnetic disk is mouldy, which won't be a real trouble to clean up. The real issue is the disassociated metal disk.
See photo attached.

This isn't the first it happens with games I buy on the Internet. As far as I know, the magnetic disk has to be glued correctly and at the same position as it was before detached.
A few years ago, I re-glued both parts of another original game and managed to get a fully working dump (guess I was very lucky to find the right position).
But I got the same trouble with some other games and since then, I have always failed to glue both disks in the right position.

Is there a way to re-glue both parts correctly?
Or, would it be possible to re-stick the two parts - regardless of the position - then dump their content and rework the whole using a software like HxC Floppy Emulator ?

Thank you in advance for any kind of help :)

Floppy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gilles504
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Glue a disassociated disk?

Postby gilles504 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 am

your chance of success is a bit small I think. If readable, the disk will have 2 main problems : bad index (not synced with the position on the index hole in the metal disc) and not sure of the side (if disk is 2 sided, that may not be the case for an early original atari disc).
Also it must be centered correctly, otherwise the reading head will not be able to read the full tracks.
I would use 4 pieces of very thin double sided tape to re-stick the disc.
Then the full track must be dumped in raw MFM for tracks 0 to at least 83 (a krioflux or katweasel here will help, otherwise a PC with a real floppy that can dump a full track)... and worked to transform to HFE and test with an HXC (with guess and trial to find the real index position, the first track should have a standard format).
When hfe image is ok, copy to a good "now old stock" floppy... and reinstall the magnetic part in your original enclosure.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks for your answer, gilles504.
Yes, I'll dump the disk with Kryoflux, but I was more thinking about HxC Floppy Emulator because there is an option to "shift' track in the analyzer tool (see picture below).
I tried to use it a few months ago, but I have no idea how to set up it correctly to find the index and re-sync the disk.

HxC.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Brume wrote:Thanks for your answer, gilles504.
Yes, I'll dump the disk with Kryoflux, but I was more thinking about HxC Floppy Emulator because there is an option to "shift' track in the analyzer tool (see picture below).
I tried to use it a few months ago, but I have no idea how to set up it correctly to find the index and re-sync the disk.

HxC.png

Yes with the HxC tool you can invert sides, invert the stream order, and shift all tracks.

Look at the track write splice (the red glitches), align it to the index signal (the blue line).

for example the index seems correctly aligned in your picture.

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”