Synchro Express versus Blitz Turbo

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

mlynn1974
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Synchro Express versus Blitz Turbo

Postby mlynn1974 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:23 pm

I know it's an old chestnut, but I have made a video comparing Synchro Express and Blitz Turbo and uploaded it to YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClOTTPH-CI
For test purposes I copied the So Watt MegaDemo and verified it using FastCopy 3.

For the record the Synchro Express caused 13 RNF/Seek Errors (all on side 1!) and and Blitz had 19 RNF/Seek Errors and the demo wouldn't boot!
I couldn't find the "Slower By Jobil" copier on my Blitz Utilities disk. I had the Unitec one by Jobil but it didn't work too well. I actually have 2 Blitz Cables, one from 1990 from Power Computing and an unknown one I got with the Synchro Express on eBay about 7 years ago. This is the one I used in this demo.

From memory my STE was more reliable with Blitz with an Epson drive back in the day than this STFM which I think has a Mitsumi drive. It still freaks me out to see the 2 drives working at the same time like that! Anyway I hope you like the video.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Synchro Express versus Blitz Turbo

Postby Greenious » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:44 pm

With both of these using the exact same drives was important, but perhaps even more important was that they spun at the same speed.

But I must admit I don't know much about these copiers, or the Discovery Cartridge that supposedly is the very ultimate in floppy copying...

Anyway, I suspect this thread is much more suited in the Pasti forum or the floppy disk preservation forum, and they got the answers you are looking for...

Edit: I think I am going to be a wee bit presumptious here and move this into the floppy disk preservation forum. :D
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:46 am

mlynn1974 wrote:I know it's an old chestnut, but I have made a video comparing Synchro Express and Blitz Turbo and uploaded it to YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClOTTPH-CI
For test purposes I copied the So Watt MegaDemo and verified it using FastCopy 3.

For the record the Synchro Express caused 13 RNF/Seek Errors (all on side 1!) and and Blitz had 19 RNF/Seek Errors and the demo wouldn't boot!

I'm not very familiar with them, I never actually used any analog copier. But from I recall, the Synchro Express was supposed to be superior and quite more expensive.

But anyway, they normally copied most disks without problems. Is that demo disk formatted with 11 sectors per track?

mlynn1974

Postby mlynn1974 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 pm

The Synchro Express was sold for £35 and the Power Computing Blitz Turbo was sold for £15, but one stall at my local market was selling them for £8-£12. Another stall at the market only used Blitz to copy disks but about 1 disk in 3 had bad sectors and was usually unbootable. We only ever went to the places that used FastCopy 3 for reliability.

The So Watt demo is formatted 82 tracks, 10 sectors, 2 sides.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”