WANTED: most missing images

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

User avatar
greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby greatguy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Does anyone have the original 3 disk release of Zak McKracken? I´m trying to image my game but no matter how much I clean the disks I still get read errors. :(

I have at least managed to get clean images of my original release of Maniac Mansion. :D
Image
Swedish retro computer fair
http://www.retrogathering.se

User avatar
Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:52 pm

I have it :) I try and image it.
Image

User avatar
greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby greatguy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Stefan jL wrote:I have it :) I try and image it.

Great, hope you get clean copies from your version. :D
Image
Swedish retro computer fair
http://www.retrogathering.se

User avatar
Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:57 pm

hmm... now when i found my Zak copy so did it turn out to be the 2 disk version... sorry :(
Image

User avatar
greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby greatguy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Stefan jL wrote:hmm... now when i found my Zak copy so did it turn out to be the 2 disk version... sorry :(

You can still try to make SCP images of those disks if you want and have the time. Would be really nice to at least have those in my collection. :D
Image
Swedish retro computer fair
http://www.retrogathering.se

User avatar
Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:53 pm

ok.. here is the 2 disk (not kixx) version, i also made a scp of the savegame disk :wink: http://www.ym2149.com/scp/zak_mckracken_scp.7z
Image

User avatar
greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby greatguy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Stefan jL wrote:ok.. here is the 2 disk (not kixx) version, i also made a scp of the savegame disk :wink: http://www.ym2149.com/scp/zak_mckracken_scp.7z

Thank you! :D
Image
Swedish retro computer fair
http://www.retrogathering.se

User avatar
greatguy
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby greatguy » Fri May 23, 2014 5:41 pm

greatguy wrote:Does anyone have the original 3 disk release of Zak McKracken? I´m trying to image my game but no matter how much I clean the disks I still get read errors. :(

FYI

Just bought a "new" three disk version of Zak McKracken from eBay. Luckily this version works 100% :D
Image
Swedish retro computer fair
http://www.retrogathering.se

User avatar
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes
Posts: 4094
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:16 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby Brume » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 pm

dlfrsilver asked me for Albedo.
I imaged it some weeks ago, but I was sure someone has already done it and posted it somewhere... Well, faulty memory ;)

@AtariZoll: so do you still want it? I dumped it in SCP, KF and STX formats.
The STX file doesn't work with Steem (it was done on the original machine). Then, I tried to generate a STX file with the RAW and the SCP files with Aufit: same thing, it doesn't work with Steem.
But the .CTR dump works very well. Have played a long with it and didn't notice any bug.
Let me know.

User avatar
Maartau
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:15 am
Location: France

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby Maartau » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:38 pm

greatguy wrote:
greatguy wrote:Does anyone have the original 3 disk release of Zak McKracken? I´m trying to image my game but no matter how much I clean the disks I still get read errors. :(

FYI

Just bought a "new" three disk version of Zak McKracken from eBay. Luckily this version works 100% :D


Also interested by dumps if possible :cheers: ...
Member of :
- aTaRi LeGeNd ,
- eLiTe ! ,
- NoExTrA .

Don't hesitate to visit http://www.atarimania.com/ & http://www.atarilegend.com/ :D

-> Slowed due to serious health troubles <-

User avatar
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:03 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:22 pm

me too (I mean albedo)
Do you know the protection?
Something not supported by STX format?

User avatar
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1415
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:27 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:me too (I mean albedo)
Do you know the protection?
Something not supported by STX format?


albedo can be processed in STX with latest Aufit version and runs only with Steem 3.7.0 beta.

it uses St bootsector, but all the remaining is amiga tracks.... If you tried to convert the dump in *.ST, you'll see that out of the boot sector, it's not ST format.

It uses something equivalent to the amiga version (which use 4us tracks, created on a macintosh drive/computer), but here it's very long tracks.

I let Brume post his dump :)
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

User avatar
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes
Posts: 4094
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:16 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby Brume » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:41 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:albedo can be processed in STX with latest Aufit version and runs only with Steem 3.7.0 beta.


What is the number of the latest version? I used v0.4c that is available on Aufit website and it didn't work...

Link to Albedo package (SCP, KF and STX files):

https://mega.co.nz/#F!XYkm0ZJR!lOoW3RHySXtKf1xjb5PMqg

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2797
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Brume wrote:dlfrsilver asked me for Albedo.
I imaged it some weeks ago, but I was sure someone has already done it and posted it somewhere... Well, faulty memory ;)

@AtariZoll: so do you still want it? I dumped it in SCP, KF and STX formats.
The STX file doesn't work with Steem (it was done on the original machine). Then, I tried to generate a STX file with the RAW and the SCP files with Aufit: same thing, it doesn't work with Steem.
But the .CTR dump works very well. Have played a long with it and didn't notice any bug.
Let me know.



Yes, i want STX image of it, even if works not in Steem. As said, it is likely protection not supported by Pasti, but that's not problem for me :D
Ah, there is DL link ... Will inform about protection check later. Thanx :D
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

User avatar
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1415
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:26 pm

AtariZoll wrote:
Brume wrote:dlfrsilver asked me for Albedo.
I imaged it some weeks ago, but I was sure someone has already done it and posted it somewhere... Well, faulty memory ;)

@AtariZoll: so do you still want it? I dumped it in SCP, KF and STX formats.
The STX file doesn't work with Steem (it was done on the original machine). Then, I tried to generate a STX file with the RAW and the SCP files with Aufit: same thing, it doesn't work with Steem.
But the .CTR dump works very well. Have played a long with it and didn't notice any bug.
Let me know.



Yes, i want STX image of it, even if works not in Steem. As said, it is likely protection not supported by Pasti, but that's not problem for me :D
Ah, there is DL link ... Will inform about protection check later. Thanx :D


The protection is supported, but you need to use latest version of Aufit with the dump, and steem v3.7.0 beta.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

User avatar
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:03 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Brume wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:albedo can be processed in STX with latest Aufit version and runs only with Steem 3.7.0 beta.


What is the number of the latest version? I used v0.4c that is available on Aufit website and it didn't work...

Link to Albedo package (SCP, KF and STX files):

https://mega.co.nz/#F!XYkm0ZJR!lOoW3RHySXtKf1xjb5PMqg

Latest version is 0.9.xxx here viewtopic.php?f=104&t=25906&p=266034#p266034
thought you would know :)

I will check tomorow

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby npomarede » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:07 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:The protection is supported, but you need to use latest version of Aufit with the dump, and steem v3.7.0 beta.

Tested this STX of Albedo under latest Hatari 1.8 and it works without any problem.
Track 0 has 5 1024 byte sectors and 1 512 byte sector ; other track are just raw track, without sector (similar to Mortevielle Manor, Vroom, Damocles, ...)
Nicolas

User avatar
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:03 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:12 pm

npomarede wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:The protection is supported, but you need to use latest version of Aufit with the dump, and steem v3.7.0 beta.

Tested this STX of Albedo under latest Hatari 1.8 and it works without any problem.
Track 0 has 5 1024 byte sectors and 1 512 byte sector ; other track are just raw track, without sector (similar to Mortevielle Manor, Vroom, Damocles, ...)
Nicolas

this seems to indicate reading gap data before first sector and pasti using complement data in this area

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby npomarede » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:14 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:
npomarede wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:The protection is supported, but you need to use latest version of Aufit with the dump, and steem v3.7.0 beta.

Tested this STX of Albedo under latest Hatari 1.8 and it works without any problem.
Track 0 has 5 1024 byte sectors and 1 512 byte sector ; other track are just raw track, without sector (similar to Mortevielle Manor, Vroom, Damocles, ...)
Nicolas

this seems to indicate reading gap data before first sector and pasti using complement data in this area

Maybe similar to Jupiter masterdrive which worked under Hatari using own STX support when compared to official pasti.dll

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2797
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:00 pm

I looked little in code of Albedo early loading stage. it has lot of tack read commands and extremely many checks for diverse patterns. Never seen so long code for testing protection. Hard to follow, but easy to crack :D It must appear value 6 at some RAM location, then it will start game (counting differences ?). And it just not stops to read track 0 if check fails .. Seems like fuzzy data in track ..
I think that DrCoolZic can say more after analysis ..
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby npomarede » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:02 pm

AtariZoll wrote:I looked little in code of Albedo early loading stage. it has lot of tack read commands and extremely many checks for diverse patterns. Never seen so long code for testing protection. Hard to follow, but easy to crack :D It must appear value 6 at some RAM location, then it will start game (counting differences ?). And it just not stops to read track 0 if check fails .. Seems like fuzzy data in track ..
I think that DrCoolZic can say more after analysis ..

STX doesn't support fuzzy data in track, so I don't think the protection checks that bits are fuzzy in some tracks, else it would not pass.

User avatar
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1415
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:33 pm

npomarede wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:I looked little in code of Albedo early loading stage. it has lot of tack read commands and extremely many checks for diverse patterns. Never seen so long code for testing protection. Hard to follow, but easy to crack :D It must appear value 6 at some RAM location, then it will start game (counting differences ?). And it just not stops to read track 0 if check fails .. Seems like fuzzy data in track ..
I think that DrCoolZic can say more after analysis ..

STX doesn't support fuzzy data in track, so I don't think the protection checks that bits are fuzzy in some tracks, else it would not pass.


There is no fuzzy bits, as aufit showed it when i used it on the dump of Brume :)

Only Long amiga tracks, and a nasty copy protection (maybe less nasty than the amiga one).
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby npomarede » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:44 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:...amiga tracks...
Please, not again ... :(

User avatar
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1415
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:21 pm

npomarede wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:...amiga tracks...
Please, not again ... :(


Authors have used a macintosh drive to make the amiga version. You know like me that the ST can't read Macintosh track format.

So the only solution remaining is to write long tracks with an amiga for the ST version.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: WANTED: most missing images

Postby npomarede » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:45 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:
npomarede wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:...amiga tracks...
Please, not again ... :(


Authors have used a macintosh drive to make the amiga version. You know like me that the ST can't read Macintosh track format.

So the only solution remaining is to write long tracks with an amiga for the ST version.

You're still doing the same confusion : it's not because the track was written with an Amiga that it means the ST can read Amiga track.

The Amiga was used to write an ST track that could not be written otherwise on a ST, because the WD1772 interprets some bytes and prevent you from writing some specific bytes at any position (bytes above $F5 which are "interpreted"). The ST can only read ST tracks, not generic Amiga tracks.

It can't read any random Amiga track, because as already explained the WD1772 will keep its AM detector ON during the read track command and this will cause some resync when certain bytes combinations are encountered, meaning the data you get in RAM after the read track are not the same data that were on disk. If you read an Amiga floppy with read track on ST, chances are high you will get a different (=wrong) content than if you read the same track on Amiga.

Amiga can be used to produce CTR files of Amiga or ST floppies in many conditions (where using fixed bitcells for example), Atari's FDC just can't do that, it will interpret some bytes, and you have no way to know if what you get in RAM is really what was on the floppy (unless the floppy was written to be compatible with the limitation of the FDC, by removing/escaping certain bytes, but in that case this is not a generic track (ie Amiga track if you want) anymore).

The Amiga's FDC is a very versatile chip that can write tracks compatible with some other more limited FDC, but it doesn't mean those other FDC are capable of reading generic Amiga tracks with any content, they read tracks written on an Amiga with a specific content for these FDC, which is not the same thing.

Nicolas


Social Media

     

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests