AUFIT Program

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: AUFIT Program

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 am

FYI I have just completed the Past file writing :mrgreen:

So, normally, you take an image of a disk with SCP or KF and you can write a Pasti stx file 8O nice 8)
Problem it only works on 50% of the file tested :cry:

As I have almost completed the original set of features for Aufit now is time to make it work reliably ... so this week will be concentrated on fixing problems ...

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Ok, I have misunderstood the reason for revolution "0". It does show what appears to be a bunch of revolutions.

V0.97 has not yet been released. I am working on the firmware updater. I had to change some of the interrupt structures, and these are in protected memory, which requires a special method for the flash update (to prevent bricking the board). So, I am working on that. V0.97 requires the firmware upgrade.
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:44 pm

JimDrew wrote:Ok, I have misunderstood the reason for revolution "0". It does show what appears to be a bunch of revolutions.

V0.97 has not yet been released. I am working on the firmware updater. I had to change some of the interrupt structures, and these are in protected memory, which requires a special method for the flash update (to prevent bricking the board). So, I am working on that. V0.97 requires the firmware upgrade.

I am glad it works! I need to update the documentation. Actually being able to see all the recorded revolutions in one graph is nice. Specially nice for shifted track where end of a track is pushed to the begining of the track ;)
Take your time for 0.97 don't want to burn my board

Seems like board received recently still have the FD connected pin 5 not removed. I guess you have to sell your batch :) One question is it possible to remove pin 5 using an iron solderer or are the pin hold by the connector (sorry difficult to explain but I guess you see what I mean).

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:15 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:FYI I have just completed the Past file writing :mrgreen:

So, normally, you take an image of a disk with SCP or KF and you can write a Pasti stx file 8O nice 8)

As I have almost completed the original set of features for Aufit now is time to make it work reliably ... so this week will be concentrated on fixing problems ...

That's great! Converting SCP or KF into STX file will be a great & helpful feature!
Have you identified the problem that causes faulty results? I mean, does it come from the protection used, or the number of sectors, etc.?

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:
JimDrew wrote:Ok, I have misunderstood the reason for revolution "0". It does show what appears to be a bunch of revolutions.

I am glad it works! I need to update the documentation. Actually being able to see all the recorded revolutions in one graph is nice. Specially nice for shifted track where end of a track is pushed to the begining of the track ;)

Seems like board received recently still have the FD connected pin 5 not removed. I guess you have to sell your batch :) One question is it possible to remove pin 5 using an iron solderer or are the pin hold by the connector (sorry difficult to explain but I guess you see what I mean).

One question, can you make AUFIT support Amiga track format ? If yes, what do you need to do so ?
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:07 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:

All boards being shipped since this issue was discovered have pin 5 removed. Yes, you can use pliers and grip the pin and heat the PCB side and just pull the pin out of the board and connector.
I am the flux ninja

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Amiga tracks are completely different from the Atari/PC format. Amiga format doesn't have dual syncs with a header/data block because Amiga didn't write sectors - it wrote tracks. trackdisk.device buffered the track and replaced it when it was "dirty" after there was no disk activity after a certain period of time. So, everything is different.
I am the flux ninja

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:27 pm

JimDrew wrote:Amiga tracks are completely different from the Atari/PC format. Amiga format doesn't have dual syncs with a header/data block because Amiga didn't write sectors - it wrote tracks. trackdisk.device buffered the track and replaced it when it was "dirty" after there was no disk activity after a certain period of time. So, everything is different.

Yes, i know that, but i want to know if Dr Coolzic can support the amiga disk format.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:37 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:One question, can you make AUFIT support Amiga track format ? If yes, what do you need to do so ?

I have absolutely no idea about the Amiga Format!
I have been contacted by a programmer that would be interested to work on my source to support C64/C128 and later Amiga.
I intend to make the project open source so anybody can make modification but not now

So quick answer is I do not have time to look at this now ... sorry

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:38 pm

JimDrew wrote:All boards being shipped since this issue was discovered have pin 5 removed. Yes, you can use pliers and grip the pin and heat the PCB side and just pull the pin out of the board and connector.

I will try and let you know.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 pm

JimDrew wrote:Amiga tracks are completely different from the Atari/PC format. Amiga format doesn't have dual syncs with a header/data block because Amiga didn't write sectors - it wrote tracks. trackdisk.device buffered the track and replaced it when it was "dirty" after there was no disk activity after a certain period of time. So, everything is different.

Humm seems like the chance I work on this are small but again if I make this open source then anybody is welcome to add new features ...

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm

I can provide all of the Amiga stuff... except all of my source code is in 68K assembly. I also have the C64/128 stuff, but that is in 6502 assembly. :) I can at least provide the information on how these disks are laid out, the various protection types there were, etc.
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Brume wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:FYI I have just completed the Past file writing :mrgreen:

That's great! Converting SCP or KF into STX file will be a great & helpful feature!
Have you identified the problem that causes faulty results? I mean, does it come from the protection used, or the number of sectors, etc.?

A little bit too soon to tell. But i now have many programs that seems to convert correctly. I am investigating the problems with my Pasti reader/writer
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=19904&p=244088#p244088

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:14 pm

Ack! I wrote that v0.97 requires the firmware upgrade - it doesn't require the firmware upgrade, but will use it for imaging strongbits if you have the upgrade.
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 am

I have dumped Fire and Forget with 0.97 setting # revolutions to 5 and it works with Aufit.
I am able to generate Pasti file and it seems to work!

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Great! That will be a quick way for people to convert a .scp image and make an .stx.

Besides the last offset being chopped off (I had the wrong length the TDH), I also fixed the track number associated with each of the entries. So, images now pass all of the sanity checking.
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Good but now the program block while trying to image Awesome with 5 revolutions. It blocks after writing 65MB of data (tried two times)

What is strange is that I have retried with 4 revolutions and it works!

Fire and Forget 5 rev is about 45Mb
Why Awesome is already 65Mb even not completed?
Awesome 4 revolution is 53MB for disk 1

and it is 62MB for disk 3 of the game!

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Well... I figured out why. I allocate a maximum of 64MB of buffer space for the image buffer. So, I guess I better increase that size! I just released v0.98 with a fix for the .g64 format. I am going to pull the update and make this change as well for you to try.

I may look at changing the imaging so it reads/writes only the current track. This would reduce memory consumption dramatically.
I am the flux ninja

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:43 pm

OK, I made the buffer a max of 100MB. That should be enough for 5 revs. Try v0.98 and see if that cures the issue you have with Awesome.
I am the flux ninja

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Good but now the program block while trying to image Awesome with 5 revolutions. It blocks after writing 65MB of data (tried two times)

What is strange is that I have retried with 4 revolutions and it works!

Fire and Forget 5 rev is about 45Mb
Why Awesome is already 65Mb even not completed?
Awesome 4 revolution is 53MB for disk 1

and it is 62MB for disk 3 of the game!

can you check both SCP images of Crackdown atari st retail release 2 disks and generate STX files out of them?

EDITED.
Last edited by dlfrsilver on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Grab the latest version of the SCP software (v0.98) and re-dump Crackdown. The images linked to above are corrupted.
I am the flux ninja

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 pm

JimDrew wrote:Grab the latest version of the SCP software (v0.98) and re-dump Crackdown. The images linked to above are corrupted.

the disks appears to be difficult to dump :( My atari ST/STE load the game correctly, but both SCP and KF have trouble to image the disks.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:22 pm

The disk data looked fine, but you dumped it using v0.96 or earlier and the file was corrupted. If you dump it using v0.99 (the latest), it should be fine and we can test the disks.
I am the flux ninja

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:34 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:
JimDrew wrote:Grab the latest version of the SCP software (v0.98) and re-dump Crackdown. The images linked to above are corrupted.

the disks appears to be difficult to dump :( My atari ST/STE load the game correctly, but both SCP and KF have trouble to image the disks.

There are some places where imaging look suspicious (strange CRC error)
Track 79.0 is amazing !!! If correctly dumped
Track 03.1 is also very strange never seen

Can you try to resample with SCP v0.99 and at least 3 or better 4 revolutions.
If you have KF I would also be interested in getting the stream files.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:50 pm

79,0 has weakbits at the end - THAT is a typical weakbit signature found on Amiga, C64, etc. disks.

I would say also that either the disk was deliberately produced just slightly off from the index mark, or the disk drive used to dump this disk has an index hole sensor alignment issue. The track data is negative to the index sensor.
I am the flux ninja

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”