micro cosmos information?

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: micro cosmos information?

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 pm

ANyone know of an ST IRC channel? I am on ##ATARI on freenet, but not much ST talk on there.

I could use a hand getting through stuff.

I have the cosmos up and running.

1. I use the IKBD, but if I wanted to use the computer without the cosmos.. is there a switch I could install to disable the IKBD injector.. because if I boot without the cosmos the keyboard goes wacky.. I guess because its looking for input from the cosmos?

2. I have my wifi working with it. So what else do I need to do to get say cab running on the machine? Do I still need STING? if so.. how do I use it. I am not finding much documentation on it.. except to use it to connect PPP etc.. what if I already have an IP assigned by the cosmos?

3. Clock.. the cosmos grabs the time off the internet, but when I view it in the control panel it says 2028 not 2017... how do I fix this?

4. How large can the USB translated drive be?? I know typically for RAW max is 512mb.. but can I put a 32gb usb in .. and I am working?

Thanks
James

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:15 pm

1. Yes, IKBD injector works only with the CE powered up (this may change in a later revision)
2. There's a CE Sting "emulator" on O:
4. Normal GEMDOS limits apply, in case of the ST, 512 MB.

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks for the reply mikro,

The IKBD, can a switch be added that would short pins or RE-route the output? I am not so much looking for the IKBD to work without the CE powered up.. I am looking for the computer not to go nuts when it is not powered up.. say I just want to play a game from a floppy? So I will have to use the original keyboard and an Atari mouse for example. Having to open and disconnect the funky cable.. seems.. well not good.

The CD_STiNG.. I cannot find any documentation on this? IF something uses STiNG.. is it supposed to be able to use CE_STiNG as well? I would like to use some of the setups that are out there to get CAB running.. or other native ST internet programs. I have not done this.. new.. any suggestions?

Interesting on that.. because when I access my 1gb usb drive ask for info it says there is 1gb of space. It is all one partition, as far as I am aware I cannot partition a USB translated drive, I will try and clear an 8gb usb drive I have, put that in, and see what is says.

James

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:21 pm

IKBD: while I don't know why the computer goes nuts (it should just ignore any input), yes, this is exactly the problem. Jookie was considering to initialise early firmware as write-trough but still, you have to power the CE up. Or use a switch, yes. Look at the schematics at Jookie's website.

There's no need for documentation for CE_STING. Just fire it up and it will provide the same API that STING.PRG provides (except the configuration stuff -- that's taken from Linux's network settings which you can change in CE_CONF). So anything STiK/STiNG compatible should work out of the box.

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:44 pm

yeah.. So, I am having issues with PPs drivers, crazy slow, and I cannot get CE_STiNG to work.. I can get CAB 1.5 to run.. but it cannot find an address outside of the machine.. even though I can cast into it, and I can check the update server.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:32 pm

OK, so .. I re-read the guide by DrCoolZic and it seems I did not get the ACSI ID#s setup correct, and although it worked, it was conflicting I guess?
So I now have setup the SD slot on the cosmos as ID#0 - so the PP driver boots first. In the cosmos ACSI setup, I have the Pi drives (sd slot and USB) setup as #1 or the last column which is called ce-dd for booting CE_DD driver. Which confused me originally, because I was not interested in booting from that drive, but I still wanted to use them.

SO, I am on to the next challange now.. Thanks all who have helped. CE_STiNG now seems to work. I can telnet (usually works) and I can IRC. CAB works, but of course is not usable on many webpages.

Wish I could log into this forum on CAB.. but would seem I cannot.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”